Transfer Pump for Fuel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have sent in my last payment and so it looks like I will be riding the '15 IBR. I have only ridden in 2 rallies, and both times I spent time on the side

of the road with fuel transfer issues in the heat. The '13 IBR had me ready for that issue (Or so I thought) with a hand pump in the side case. It did not

work… During the 200ccccc, I experimented with methods to solve the issue and was relatively successful… but not always. So now I am in search for

a reliable transfer method (Just in case).

I am considering an in-line fuel pump, but really do not want to go that direction as my "Rally days" are nearly over. (Rather short-lived- I know)

I am looking for a bullet proof item that is relatedly small for the side case.

I found this: Drum & Barrel | Pumps & Siphons | K-Tool 72250 Siphon Transfer Pump for Most Liquids, Siphons Gas, Oil & Pumps Air | B781137 - GlobalIndustrial.com

…but I have no idea. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Can you give a few more details of your auxiliary gas set-up.

I am aware that some FJRs have tail-dragger tanks, but most are gravity fed and they don't need a pump at all.

What do you currently have?

Can you give a few more details of your auxiliary gas set-up.

I am aware that some FJRs have tail-dragger tanks, but most are gravity fed and they don't need a pump at all.

What do you currently have?
You would think I would have better photos, but I do not:

The filler cap is plenty large to use. I am even considering something like a turkey baster. Nothing fancy, but something to transfer enough fuel to

get to a gas station. The fuel transfers fine except in heat. On my last ride, I was leaving the cap cracked open under the tank bag and starting the

transfer ASAP before the vapor lock occurred. That worked almost every time.

I have a similar arrangement. I have only had a transfer issue once and I'm pretty sure it was the same cause. 110F in the middle of Kansas on my way to the How the West Was Won Rally.

The routing of my fuel line doesn't allow a vapor-lock to happen so I was thinking the cause must be something else. Prime suspect is the venting of the main tank, and that is something I'll check. All other times the gas has transferred just fine under gravity, but I agree, you do not want those problems during the IBR.

The simplest way of providing an emergency back-up would be a small brake-line clamp for the hose, and pull the hose from the shut-off and fill a small jar with gas that you can tip into the tank. Carrying an empty MSR fuel bottle for the purpose would work well. If your hoses are steel-braided then add an extra fitting with a shut-off to the line so you can drain the tank independent of the line to the OEM tank.

That would also allow you to help out other riders in need :)

I still run a gravity feed so no helpful suggestions on a fuel pump but glad to hear that you are running in this year's IBR.

Touch base as the time nears. I plan to be at the mid checkpoint and am willing to help in any way necessary.

Canadian FJR

I also run a gravity set up. Actually like yours and Scott's. After looking at you bike last fall I still couldn't figure out why your tank doesn't work like Scott's and mine. I can by gravity totally drain my aux empty and still have a little gas in my main.

The Aux. Tank works great 95% of the time, however I have experience a nontranferring vapor lock. I am looking for a

quick way to take care of this problem (Should it happen). I think Twigg's suggestion was a good one and I am considering it.

From the MERA events, I already have a catch can mounted. I just need to adapt the fuel line and make sure the catch can is

easily removable for use.

I can't find it now but I did see a neat set-up where the rider put a "T" in the supply line with another shut-off and a longer hose coiled up. I assume the purpose was to be able to supply fuel to another bike but it would also work for your own bike in an emergency.

I'll keep looking for the post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FOUND IT!!

https://www.goraiders.org/bike/100528BattleBornBike/a.html

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Way outside of my knowledge zone, but would say if you are going to use something simple like a "turkey baster" make sure to test it out b/c gasoline will very quickly dissolve many types of plastic--