Treo users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malve

Reaction score
I use my treo 650 for just about everything including e-mail, web browsing, scrabble, MP3, audio books, and on and on.

I had the ear bud stereo speakers for music but they can get uncomfortable and easily dislodged in my helmet while riding. Also my helmet (Arai Quantum II) is pretty loud so even on full volume, music was tough to enjoy and my morning listen to the Wall Street Journal (which gets uploaded automatically every morning at 5:00 am through my subscription to audible.com) was impossible to hear.

I considered buying some quality noise canceling inner ear stereo headphones or a custom molded set but held off for two reasons.

1. I hate dicking around with adapters and the treo has a unique 2.5 mm jack.

2. I'm confident that there will be a better wireless solution available soon.

In the meantime.... I noticed on the palm site that they had some new inner ear speakers for $49 ($39 with a $10 off at the Palm store promo that was going on a few weeks ago).

Click stereo headset

Here is their description:

Palm® 2 in 1 Stereo Headset Pro

If your Treo™ smartphone pulls double duty as a phone and an MP3 player, then the 2-in-1 Stereo Headset Pro is perfect for you! This fully functional smartphone headset is specially designed to deliver amazing sound quality for digital audio content. Enjoy your favorite tunes with rich, dynamic stereo sound through the high-performance earpieces. Got an incoming call? Switch instantly to call mode with the touch of a button right on the microphone.

In-ear, ultra-soft silicon ear tips keep unwanted sound out, maximize comfort, and minimize ear fatigue

In-line control unit features:

• Omni-directional microphone
  • Answer/End button
  • Volume control
  • Mute switch
Bottom line is that for $39 I am very happy with the improvement. The noise canceling that they reference is not great and the sound quality may even be slightly worse than my treo ear bud speakers but the sound is delivered so much deeper in your ear that it makes all the difference. Plus they stay put and you can adjust the volume if necessary from the little box on the headset which works out great if the device is zipped in the jacket. They are definitely more comfortable.
If you browse around the Palm site don't be fooled by the new listings for the Shure and Etymotics..although I'm sure that they are much better, they are for the standard jack and will require an adapter.

Can you actually talk on the phone using this headset while wearing your helmet and enroute?

I have something like this for my Q. Excellent sound quality, but mine won't fit into my helmet, and Arai Quantum.

Do a search for skullcandy

They have a great deep bass earbuds at a great price=$25.00 more or less

I have them and they are much better than my J&M ear speakers.

I have something like this for my Q. Excellent sound quality, but mine won't fit into my helmet, and Arai Quantum.
What is a Q? (Other than a letter and maker of cool secret agent gadgets.)

gypsy
Motorola smartphone on Verizon network.

Actually, I have a Sprint one. Not exactly the same as Treo, but IMO a better phone, not as good of a PDA. I only wanted it because I can have email forwarded, so I don't have to get on the computer to check my inbox. Plus I wanted the QWERTY keyboard for texting.