Tried a couple of BMWs glad to keep the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddad

Reaction score
BMW Demo's today at one of the shops. Always like to test bikes, summed up two bikes as uncomfortable and uneventful.

BMW S1000RR - definetly faster going from 0-120 mph than the FJR. But to be relative, sit on a block about 10" high, bend forward till your boys are a little crushed, put your arms out in front of you and look through your eye lids. Glad to have tried it, wouldn't bother again. Won't wheelie, has anti-wheelie technology. You can feel it getting light, then breaking ground and then a reduction of power and back down it goes.

K1300GT - Nice bike, weight is a little lower on bike so it feels lighter. But just not as sporty as FJR, probably a little more comfortable in the long haul. A little bit of an uneventful ride, no thrill. Past few weeks considered a K1300GT as a replacement. Today, glad to be riding the FJR and will continue that way.

Always nice to try something, even better to think afterwards that what you already have is what you want to have. Just don't try that with your wife.

BMW Demo's today at one of the shops. Always like to test bikes, summed up two bikes as uncomfortable and uneventful.
BMW S1000RR - definetly faster going from 0-120 mph than the FJR. But to be relative, sit on a block about 10" high, bend forward till your boys are a little crushed, put your arms out in front of you and look through your eye lids. Glad to have tried it, wouldn't bother again. Won't wheelie, has anti-wheelie technology. You can feel it getting light, then breaking ground and then a reduction of power and back down it goes.

K1300GT - Nice bike, weight is a little lower on bike so it feels lighter. But just not as sporty as FJR, probably a little more comfortable in the long haul. A little bit of an uneventful ride, no thrill. Past few weeks considered a K1300GT as a replacement. Today, glad to be riding the FJR and will continue that way.

Always nice to try something, even better to think afterwards that what you already have is what you want to have. Just don't try that with your wife.
I went from a '05 R1200RT to my '08 FJR 18 months ago and have never looked back. Gave up some comfort and coverage for a much better dealer network, less expensive maintenance, and more performance. Drank enough BMW Kool-Aid.

I had the same experience with the new Ducati Multistrada. I test rode the S Touring model. The electronically adjustable... well, everything... is awesome. It's no gimmick and I hope more bikes adopt similar systems. That said, it's tall, with a wide bar, it's ugly as hell, and I don't like the sound of that twin nearly as much as I thought I might. It's a great bike in many ways, but I expected to fall in love and I left with no more desire to own one. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the Triumph Speed Triple, which is a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but something like that is a) a complement to the FJR, not a replacement for it and B) half the price of the Ducati I was considering.

I had the same experience with the new Ducati Multistrada. I test rode the S Touring model. The electronically adjustable... well, everything... is awesome. It's no gimmick and I hope more bikes adopt similar systems. That said, it's tall, with a wide bar, it's ugly as hell, and I don't like the sound of that twin nearly as much as I thought I might. It's a great bike in many ways, but I expected to fall in love and I left with no more desire to own one. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the Triumph Speed Triple, which is a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but something like that is a) a complement to the FJR, not a replacement for it and B) half the price of the Ducati I was considering.
Given that Duc is $19k, I'm avoiding it. Considering picking up a left-over 11ooS, though, as a second bike *unsure what I want a 2nd bike for*.

I recently did the BMW test ride thing, too. Though I only rode one bike (F800GS - loved it). Other who were with me said of the S1000RR "wicked", and of the 1200GS "POS". One guy was checking out the bike for kicks, the other as a potential 2nd bike (not going that route after his test ride, though).

I visited a few shops this week to check in on things:

1 - local Duc dealer still has a couple of left-over Multistrada S's from last year - one in the excellent pearl white

2 - I still see a few B-Kings around :)

3 - the MV Agusta Brutale 1090 is on my short list - but I have yet to ride one

4 - found the Aprilia dealer last night - Tuono felt nice to sit on, and I *LOVE* their dual sports, though their seat height is level at my lower rib cage - no joking, and I'm 6 feet tall! Fawk, that's one TALL azz bike!

5 - Last weekend I was at the Triumph/KTM dealer - screaming deal on a Scrambler to be had, but the KTM 990 keeps calling to me... rod eone last summer and liked it, but took the FJR home instead

While this is all well and good, much like the original poster - and most here - I remain smitten with my FJR! Even the quick ride last night reminded me of how great this machine is. With the few things I've done to "make it mine", it's more comfortable and truly fits like a glove.

In the event a second bike comes home, it'll surely end up in the dusty corner of the garage...unless it's the MV Agusta. Then I'll need to convert half the garage into a show box with carpet and mood lighting... :D

I truly feel the meaning behind "I will keep my FJR a long, long time". I hear this statement from riders often, and while I *thought* the same way, over the last few months of modding and riding the bike, I truly understand and feel the meaning of that statement now.

Been to the BMW dealer myself and got the same feeling......

I've literally gotten to the point with my Gen 1 that unless Mama Yama comes out with something that will totally WOW me with the next Gen I still have yet to have anything to look forward to....

Love my '05 - would love a good reason to upgrade to a '11 but with still no new news, still hoping for the '11 will be a deal changer yet no reason thus far...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there's a '97 BMW F650GS locally that's calling to me as a second bike. Problem is that if I did it, I'd be sleeping in the garage with my Feejer.

My previous rides were 04 R115RT and 05 ST1300A. They were fine machines for LD touring but not as agile and fun as 06 FJR I have now. They were top heavier and uncomfortable in parking lot maneuvers or coming to a slow stop. I find FJR more powerful, yet agile and very comfortable in slow speed maneuvers, perfect for dual duty as my LD tourer and daily commuter.

Well, I know now why Sportsguy has such low mileage on his 09. Been window shopping instead of riding. :D

I was with Sportsguy on the demo day (also known as the day I dropped my FJR :angry: ) and took out the K1300S.

Hooooweeeeee was that bike fun. Honey of an engine, nice slipper clutch, cool electronic gewgaws. Still love my FJR and I'd hate to pay for the upkeep of the Beemer but it was sure fun to ride.