Trip to the Ozarks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernieB

Reaction score
My brother and I are planning a trip to the Ozarks in late April, from SW Wisconsin. I am interested in suggestions for good places to stay, ride, eat and the like. Not sure if we will be riding all the way or trailering the bikes for all or part of the trip down.

SFO is April 24-27, 2008 in Eureka Springs. That is pretty much late April and in the Ozarks.

You and your brother should come.

PM me if that doesn't work for you and we can figure something else out.

watch the movie Deliverance again before departure...

and whatever ya do, no squealin' like a pig

Eureka Springs is an excellent destination. Did you know that Arkansas Tourism has a 'motorcycle dedicated' publication? There's just a lot to be said about the Ozarks -- mostly good. One thing, if you're early in the season (when the dogwood's in bloom), the temperature can vary quite a bit from up on the 'bald knobs' to down in the river valley. So, if the weather turns against you, you may find it nicer along the Arkansas River (or near)?

Same goes for your Spring trip down and back -- if the weather becomes an issue; it'll be warmer (and greener), usually, along the Missouri River down by St. Joe. It's really not that far -- you should be able to ride most (or all) of the trip in one good long day.

Welcome to Ozarks, you'll want to ride Scenic 7 and the "Pig Trail", for starters -- and there's many others. A place I'd recco: Petit Jean State Park. Enjoy, you're in for a great time.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have stayed here a few times:https://www.kingscoveresort.com/

If you like to fish they rent boats.

Not sure what area you are considering the "Ozarks", but I have two words for that you do have to burn into your brain...

AVOID BRANSON.

KM
I had been thinking somewhere around Eureka Springs? We'd like to get some good riding in. Thanks for the advice about Branson.

SFO is April 24-27, 2008 in Eureka Springs. That is pretty much late April and in the Ozarks.

I think the timing is right. But what do you mean by "SFO"?

Eureka Springs is an excellent destination. Did you know that Arkansas Tourism has a 'motorcycle dedicated' publication? There's just a lot to be said about the Ozarks -- mostly good. One thing, if you're early in the season (when the dogwood's in bloom), the temperature can vary quite a bit from up on the 'bald knobs' to down in the river valley. So, if the weather turns against you, you may find it nicer along the Arkansas River (or near)?Same goes for your Spring trip down and back -- it he weather becomes an issue; it'll be warmer (and greener), usually, along the Missouri River down by St. Joe. It's really not that far -- you should be able to ride most (or all) of the trip in one good long day.

Welcome to Ozarks, you'll want to ride Scenic 7 and the "Pig Trail", for starters -- and there's many others. A place I'd recco: Petit Jean State Park. Enjoy, you're in for a great time.
i didn't know about the publication, but it sounds like AK might be motorcycle friendly if that is the case. Thanks for the tips on the weather.

I think the timing is right. But what do you mean by "SFO"?
Bernie - come to SFO! its gonna be some much fun! SFO is the Southern FJR Owners Rally. Go here and here to learn everything! I'm the rallymaster for it, PM me if you have any questions. You guys won't be the only northerners there! :D

My brother and I are planning a trip to the Ozarks in late April, from SW Wisconsin. I am interested in suggestions for good places to stay, ride, eat and the like. Not sure if we will be riding all the way or trailering the bikes for all or part of the trip down.
One word of warning about Arkansas is DRY COUNTIES ((no alcohol sales) esp in the Ozarks) IIRC Eureka is wet. Also NO alcohol sales on Sunday. Arkansas is the buckle of the Bible Belt and we have the alcoholics to prove it.

I would bring a big ice chest and keep it well stocked. You will find Old Style very hard to come by in Arkansas. If you are a true blue Old Style Fan I would bring it with from Wisconsin.

Here is a link to the Arkansas Guide for Motorcycling. There are some great roads on it.

I don't know how much time you have or how you like to do your trips. If you like to ride for a couple of days from the same home base Eureka Springs is a neat town for sure. It has great riding routes just about any way you want to go

If you would like something more isolated The Hub in Marble Falls has a hotel and restaurant and some great local riding. It's just south of Harrison and has less nightlife. It is dry in the surrounding area. Flippin is probably the closest place to get alcohol.

Another alternative could be the Lodge at Mount Magazine State Park which is technically in the Ouachita Mountains (hills).

One of my personal favorites is as raclow mentioned Petit Jean State Park .... get a cabin. They are rustic in a good way. The nearest alcohol from there is Morrilton or Blackwell. About a 20 to 30 minute drive.

Also if you get a chance Hot Springs is a great ride down HWY 7. I don't know your dates of travel but the Arkansas Derby is in mid April. It's a fun loving town which is WET!

Irregardless of you plans, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how long it is going to take for someone to change the location of this thread. :rolleyes:

Mac

If you plan on going through Missouri to get there, or coming home, you should talk to Smitty141. He's an expert on the roads in central southern Missouri, and northern Arkansas. Been there many times, have yet to catch all the good roads.

And SFO would be a great way to start. Keep it simple and see/ride some of the best!

You're going to have a BLAST!

You and your brother might want to pack a pair of those "billy bob teeth" incase you get pulled over by an Ozark LEO... then at least he won't immediatly descriminate against you for having pearly white teeth... or more than ten total between ya!.

C

My friends and I take a trip down to the Ozarks every year from Chicago. The best book of motorcycle routes on the area is the Arkansas Riders Guide by Mario Caruso. It has excellent loops from the major towns that you would be staying at in the area.

Do not miss AR 123, AR 74, AR 21, AR 16, AR 23. AR 123 is my favorite road in AR, similar to Route 28 in North Carolina. Have a great trip.