Triple clamp install - where to source special tools?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
I'm looking to install my new triple clamp next month at our local Tech Day.

Any leads on where I can get the special tools needed to make this job easier?

Happy to buy the drill bit, but the drill jig is harder to come by, I think...

Thanks

duane

I didn't use a jig when I installed my Heli triple clamp. If I remember right, I think I center-punched the screw, and then used progressively larger bits starting with a pretty small one. It helped that someone was holding the unit while I drilled.

I didn't use a jig when I installed my Heli triple clamp. If I remember right, I think I center-punched the screw, and then used progressively larger bits starting with a pretty small one. It helped that someone was holding the unit while I drilled.
That's what their instructions suggest. I think this is an option, but will happily accept help with a jig. :)

Sporty, I didn't use a jig. One went perfect, the other not so much. I ground the living heck out of it with a dremel though and it eventually succumbed. More care taken in the initial punch, you should be fine. Besides, with all the people that will be standing around watching - you can enjoy being the spectacle in the lime light.

Sporty, I didn't use a jig. One went perfect, the other not so much. I ground the living heck out of it with a dremel though and it eventually succumbed. More care taken in the initial punch, you should be fine. Besides, with all the people that will be standing around watching - you can enjoy being the spectacle in the lime light.
NOT what I want... ;)

Things like this make me want to avoid the install and just resell the damn part... :(

Luckily, I have faith in 20% of the attendees, so remain hopeful we can figure it out. :)

Duane, I've probably got a drill jig if you let me know what size...a center punch will work fine too as long as you hit...the center.

--G

We used the jig on my friends 07. Worked fine but left some marks on the triple clamp/switch-(forgot which it clamps to) once done.

In the future, I would center punch and drill untill the head was gone...

Like others said, just center-punch the head of the bolt and start drilling with gradually larger drill bits - nothing special to it...

Center punched and drilled, on the bike, by myself, and the tank does not need to be raised. Secure shop towels on everything/anything that may scratch, go slow, and don't stress...

+1 Center punched on the bike, drilled out by myself with no problem. Didn't raise the tank. You are making this much more difficult than it is.

+1 Center punched on the bike, drilled out by myself with no problem. Didn't raise the tank. You are making this much more difficult than it is.
[SIZE=10pt]ME?![/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]ME?! [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]Making it harder?![/SIZE] .... you're likely right... :D