Triple tree riser, need advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBill

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a triple tree riser for my '08. There are two on the market that I know of. Heli gives 1/2 more height and 1 3/4 pull back. I need feedback on what everyone thinks one way or the other. Brand means nothing, just a more neutral riding position for me and my short arms, so I don't lean over as much. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Heli on a friends bike, and I wasn't impressed. I wound up buying a set of German made risers that are very adjustable. Lenkeradapter Kit

Enjoy B)

Thanks Silent for giving me another option. What's the lift and pull back on the Lenkeradapter Kit. It looks to be 1" rise and angle adjustment instead of pull back. Thanks.

I installed the Heli triple clamp and I'm really happy with it. I'm 5'8" and I found the reach to the bars in the stock position to be a little much. The Heli pretty much solved that problem. It looks like the one in the link will allow the bars to be rotated back but the downside, I think, is that increases the angle, and thus the strain, on the wrists.

I'm still running the Hines risers with no problems but their not available anymore. 1.5" rise but no pull-back. I gained the pullback with these though because the factory pins in the stock tree is no longer used with the Hines setup. Therefore the bars can be spread out and pulled back. I figure I gained an inch in each direction. If one can find these they're worth it. PM. <><

I bought the Heli for my '08. I was hesitant to pull the trigger because of the higher cost but I'm certainly not disappointed that I did. The Heli triple clamp cut way down on my wrist discomfort and helped out my lower back too. The vibration through the bars was nearly elimanated. The install was a little time intensive but made for a fun afternoon. The whole piece is beatifully fabricated and looks like it belongs on the bike. If you can afford a few extra clams, opt for the Heli.

COLDCUT

I had the Heli installed before i picked up my bike. In sitting on fjrs before I bought mine I was sure the forward lean was going to be a deal breaker on LD riding. The Heli made all the difference to me (5' 11") - ymmv

Thanks. I've read that the thicker material and duel pinch bolts also decreases the viberation. That has to be a deal sealer. This will be my winter project.

Winter Project????
It takes less than 2 hours to do.....

R
I agree, I added risers to my last bike in just over an hour. I'm at work most of the time or working around the house. When I do get spare time I'm off on the bike and want to keep it that way. Most trips are under 3 hours, stock in fine for those. This is more of a touring mod that I'll do when work slows around the holidays. New dog needs new house this weekend, so another one day project.

Thanks Silent for giving me another option. What's the lift and pull back on the Lenkeradapter Kit. It looks to be 1" rise and angle adjustment instead of pull back. Thanks.
The rise is in the range on 1", and the angle adjustment is infinite. By turning the bars inward, they move closer to you. I'm fairly short and they are the best solution I've found to date.

The triple tree riser is on the way, one more question on the shear bolt that holds the ignition switch in place. The one we install at work is a standard bolt with a triangulear notch in the head. When torque is achieved the head shears in half leaving the cone half to deter it from being removed. If this is the same type of bolt, can't I just cut a straight notch in it with my dremmel and then remove it with a flat blade screw driver? I've read many people saying that the head must be ground off or drilled out, but that doesn't remove the bolt from the threads. Just a question for this weekends tear down since the shear bolt seems to be the only major issue.

There is a group buy going on now for the Heli Triple Clamp. If we get 10 people to buy then the price is down to $288. That's about 50 bucks off.

Good luck with your decision.

Here is the link to to the group buy from Heli. Clicky

There is a group buy going on now for the Heli Triple Clamp. If we get 10 people to buy then the price is down to $288. That's about 50 bucks off.
Good luck with your decision.

Here is the link to to the group buy from Heli. Clicky
To late, mine was ordered already and has been shipped. I need shear bolt removal experience, any takers?

Heli top clamp IMHO is the only way to go! Before I bought mine i seriousley thought i'd made a mistake with this bike, 45 minutes and my wrists were killing me. Installed the the Heli clamp in about a hour, the directions were great made for an easy install. Now i would have to say i'm glad i spent the money, 500 miles a day and loving it. Hope this helps

reddog

To late, mine was ordered already and has been shipped. I need shear bolt removal experience, any takers?
If I were removing the sheer bolts, I would attempt to grind a notch with a dremel and use a flatblade as described. I might even try an impact on it. If it fails, then you're at the same place you started. Drill or grind the heads off, then use vice grips to pull the remaining stud.

If I were removing the sheer bolts, I would attempt to grind a notch with a dremel and use a flatblade as described. I might even try an impact on it. If it fails, then you're at the same place you started. Drill or grind the heads off, then use vice grips to pull the remaining stud.
Thanks silent, I see we are looking at this from the same angle. If a notch won't work, I'll just grind the top end flat, drill in and use an easy out ( vice grips if I have engouh room ) to remove the entire bolt. I know the torque on these bolts and it isn't that high so the threads won't be stretched engouh to be hard to remove. Yes, I now that I only need to remove the head to free the switch, but I might as well finish the job and remove the entire bolt.

Follow Heli's instructions for bolt removal around the ignition switch. I removed the screw heads without removing the tank. Took about 1 minute per screw. Easy as pie. Use a center punch and drill the heads off.

Latest posts