triple tree

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobias

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the size of a hex socket needed to preload the steering bearing? I don't want to buy the $75 undescribed socket that's available.

dobias <_<

....are you thinking that 36mm nut you see on your triple tree is the one? It's not the one describe in steering head bearing torque procedures. You do need that one though and Sears carrys a 12 point version for between $10 and $15.

Underneath where you actually torque down takes the special tool you're probably referring. It's not a hex at all and I can't imagine finding an alternative easily.

SteeringHeadTool.jpg

I would guess FJRGoodies.com could beat the $70 price. Maybe University Motors too?

Ignacio,

The photo you show is like the wrench I have used to torque the bearing in question. I don't feel comfortable with it. A while back I saw a socket that was sold for that use but it was too expensive for my taste.

I guess I'll have to measure and make one up the next time I want to torque the fork tree bearing. My thinking was to cobble a socket to fit with a length of pipe to make it long enough to extend past the stem.

Oh, the problems I create for myself!

dobias <_<

PS: The 12 point you mention will round off the aluminum top nut. Sears sells a 6 point inch size that fits much better than the 36 mm sockets. I found that out after I bought a 6 point 36 mm at the auto parts store.

Ignacio,The photo you show is like the wrench I have used to torque the bearing in question. I don't feel comfortable with it. A while back I saw a socket that was sold for that use but it was too expensive for my taste.

I guess I'll have to measure and make one up the next time I want to torque the fork tree bearing. My thinking was to cobble a socket to fit with a length of pipe to make it long enough to extend past the stem.

Oh, the problems I create for myself!

dobias <_<

PS: The 12 point you mention will round off the aluminum top nut. Sears sells a 6 point inch size that fits much better than the 36 mm sockets. I found that out after I bought a 6 point 36 mm at the auto parts store.
OK. Just making sure we're talking apples and apples here. You're into some graduate level FJR stuff if you're second thinking the factory tools, and more power to you.

I'll agree getting the torque wrench in there with their tool and tightening by oneself looks a bit like a monkey, a football, and some lewd acts.

I never could find a 6 point at Sears or around at various stores so I wrapped my nut in teflon when taking it off and on, and being gentle. I'm keeping my eyes open for a 6 point.

Can anyone give me the size of a hex socket needed to preload the steering bearing? I don't want to buy the $75 undescribed socket that's available.
dobias <_<
There's a complete write up for servicing the steering head bearings here. It has socket sizes, tool numbers, torque specs, and so forth.

Bounce,

Thanks It sounds like what I was looking for. Too bad I can't bring it up to see. Even your avitar isn't working.

dobias <_<

Dobias,

Try Bikejohhny for the special tool you mentioned

Special Tool

It comprises the Torque Tool and the Hex adapter for the front & rear wheel bolts and costs UK£ 22 -- about $35 or so plus shipping.

Stef

Bounce,Thanks It sounds like what I was looking for. Too bad I can't bring it up to see. Even your avitar isn't working.

dobias <_<
I saw that too. Seems there's a temporary interruption in service. I have submitted a call to the hosting service. When you see the avatar, you'll know it's resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience. In 3 years of hosting, this is their first hiccough.

update: 2038 cst - service is restored!

Last edited by a moderator:
Teerex51,

I have the C-spanner and don't feel comfortable with it. I'm looking for a very long hex socket to extend up past the steering stem to accept a torque wrench.

I've seen such a device in my dim and distant past. I may have to make it.

Thanks for trying.

dobias <_<