Trouble getting Panels A,B,C,D off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I hate to admit it... I REALLY hate to admit it!

But getting ANY panel off is just not working for me. I found the best description in the owner's manual. It was better than the service manual. But even with all the screws and all the fasteners out, I cannot get Panel-A to come out.

My 2005 does not really match the drawings in the owner's manual. But before I go prying or pulling I thought I would first bare my soul on this forum.

Everything is flopping around like it should fall to the floor but the damn panels just don't lift out.

Please help a newbie! What's the trick???

:(

I find that you have to be a bit medieval with them... They will flex and bend quite a bit without any premanent damage. Make sure you have all the fasteners out and remove the rearward panels one each side first then the front panels. It is much easier if you loosen all the screws holding the plastic body/fairing panels together also. Just loosen them several turns and it lets the fairing itself move around enough to make pulling the inner panels out much easier. Cpme to thing of it...it is probably pretty hard to get them out with only one hand as it definitely takes two hands to pull and bend to get them out. Wait til you have the panels loaded up with switches and extra wiring if you think they are a PITA now...LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was doing this exact same thing today, after noticing my Powerlet connector was facukled :( . The previous owner installed it just over the top of the little bracket tab on top of the fairing brace, located under panel "D", that appears to connect to nothing. It broke off the Negative tab on the bottom of the connector. Is anyone familiar with this bracket tab, without a picture for reference? I need to bend it over out of the way when I install the new connector. It appears to have no purpose, but I will yield to our experts on this.

I actually had more "fun" putting the screws back in the panels than removing the panels themselves. When putting them back on, didn't notice at first that panel D slides into a little holding slot underneath the fairing.

My 2005 has the fairing compartment on the left side. Yet, most of the photos and all the drawings I keep seeing show bikes without a compartment on Panel-A. Is this stock or something aftermarket?

Just wondering because I bought it used and really not sure what is mod and what is stock.

Many of the original write-ups were done by owners of the '03s, and tahnkfully so because there weren't any manuals available, so owners were sharing information. The glove box in the fairing came on '04s and later.

It is easier to remove the panels if you first raise the front of the fuel tank. Of course this presents other opportunities to screw something up so it's up to you how you want to go. To remove the tank:

1) remove the seat

2) loosen the bolt that attaches the back of the tank

3) remove the fasteners that hold the black plastic pieces to the bottom of the rear part of the tank

4) remove the two bolts at the front of the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think it's hard to remove them, just wait until you try to replace them! The necessary bending is harder because you can't be so random.

Yes, lift the tank. To clarify, the thing to loosen is the long hinge-axle bolt that runs crosswise at the rear of the tank, under the front of the seat. It has a hex head on each side, so use two wrenches. You can loop a strong rope around the luggage rack and the front of the tank to hold it up while you work. Don't force the tank up too far or you could pull out some hose fittings and have to find and replace them. A little lift is all you need to clear the panels.

Also: once you get panel B or C out, consider trimming the plastic for easier replacement and future removal. There is a thin tab on each that sits behind the lower corners of the instrument console, and it's bigger than it needs to be. I trimmed mine so it's smaller, for easier on and off. Warranty disclaimer: this tab could be acting as a rain guard or something important like that.

Notice the arrangement of the pieces of panels B and C that cross in the middle. They overlap in a certain way, with a push-top fastener pin through them. You want to get them back together that same way when you replace them.

Finally: some of the panels have slots and tabs that mate with hidden clips under the fairing segments. If there are bumps and gaps when you put it back together, look for those.

It is easier to remove the panels if you first raise the front of the fuel tank. Of course this presents other opportunities to screw something up so it's up to you how you want to go. To remove the tank:1) remove the seat

2) loosen the bolt that attaches the back of the tank

3) remove the fasteners that hold the black plastic pieces to the bottom of the rear part of the tank

4) remove the two bolts at the front of the tank.
HUH?!? Raise the tank to get the black panels off? Sheesh. Sounds like overkill to me. Glad it works for you.

Here's what I do:

First off, get a stubby screw driver to the pop fasteners on the inside of the panels (toward the frame). Pop them out, and throw them away. This makes it easier down the road when trying to get the A & D panels out. Ok, Ok, I didn't throw them away, I lost them.

I don't know what the big deal is. I can get the A&D panels out pretty easily, without raising the tank. I do, however, have to hold my tongue in the opposite cheek, pucker my sphincter, and then grab the panels under the lower edge to rotate and bend them so that the tabs pop apart.

What's been said before is certainly true, you have to have a nice blend of finesse and brute force to get the panels in and out. I find the C panel around the gauges escpecially challenging. Seems those things never go on and off the same way twice.

BTW, helps if it's not 30 below when you try to bend these panels getting them out.

Yes, the glove box on the left didn't come along until later. Now they've mucked it up and put a freaken outlet plug inside. Oh well, that will just give me a place to splice into when I put and EXTERNAL PLUG in the A panel... soon as the mythical AE's arrive this summer.

Notice how all the hardest plastic to remove on the bike seems to be black? I think they did that on purpose, not just for cosmetic accent. It's a BLACK ART getting those things off... and on....

Thanks everyone for the great input. I suppose the piece of rope doubles as a passenger restraint in some states! :agent:

+1 for tank raise and prop. Makes life soooooo much easier and takes the wee time to unbolt and rebolt the tank front. Tit job after that... ;)

And I believe he was going for 'facochta' - Yiddish slang for 'all fucked up' or there abouts. Oy!

And I believe he was going for 'facochta' - Yiddish slang for 'all fucked up' or there abouts.  Oy!
TWN,

No, no. Toe is right - facukled it is, and its my damn word! I give Rogue credit for the alliterative "facukled farkle" though, that's good work! :clap:

Ya see, I'm writing my own Thesarus. Its taking a while, I only have about 7 words so far.

Radman has his own Thesarus too, but I hear no self-respecting bookstore will allow it in the door. :D :haha:

And I believe he was going for 'facochta' - Yiddish slang for 'all fucked up' or there abouts.  Oy!
TWN,

No, no. Toe is right - facukled it is, and its my damn word! I give Rogue credit for the alliterative "facukled farkle" though, that's good work! :clap:

Ya see, I'm writing my own Thesarus. Its taking a while, I only have about 7 words so far.

Radman has his own Thesarus too, but I hear no self-respecting bookstore will allow it in the door. :D :haha:
Well you have to define it!

I think it means "Fucked up because of improper installation." How close am I?

Thanks everyone for the great input. I suppose the piece of rope doubles as a passenger restraint in some states! :agent:
Jeff:

I have an 05 FJR also, I have all panels off, EXCEPT "B". The one with the glove box. Someone mentioned a hidden tab....just inboard of the glovebox, this is what seems to be not letting go,, am I correct? How to release.

Thanks

Ross

You have to be very creative with your cussing :angry2: . Try stringing several of them together without stopping between em. that'll help some.

You really have to "flex" them to get em out specially the fusebox side. I've had mine off half a dozen times an it's getting easier. Oh there is a tang on rearward section of the front panel an I think another that slides under somewhere near the front.

:jester: