Trunk re-key question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggot

Reaction score
All, forgive my ignorance, can't find any info.

I have the OEM trunk on my 07 that's keyed with the ignition. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a larger Givi model.

Can the OEM trunk be keyed to the new owners bike and can I re-key the givi so my ignition key works with it? If so, how.

Thanks.

You would take the lock out, and sell the box without...and and use your lock in the Givi.

Last edited by a moderator:
My locksmith talked to about re-keying and she said it can be done but, it's a long tedious process. She said she hates doing it and it would be a costly thing to do. She didn't tell me how much though.

The Givi can be matched to the bike very easily. Any locksmith that says it can't be done, or that it's difficult, is trying to not be bothered with it because it's so simple.

The other owner should have a lock for the case. FJRs come with three locks matched to the key; one for each sidecase and one for the top case. The sidecases are optional in the rest of the world (just like the topcase is here) so the bike ships with the locks loose and the dealer installs them during assembly from the crate. As time goes by and bikes change hands, the "extra" lock often disappears, but the bike came with one. Similarly, your lock should, technically speaking, stay with your bike. But if you have no need of it, the buyer can have it matched to his key if his third lock is not available, and you can have your Givi rekeyed, as I did:

My thread here, click me to see!

I am in and out of my Givi fairly frequently on a ride (camera, snacks, maps, water etc.). I tend to leave the key in the lock (unlocked) unless I am away from the bike. The key is captive with the box unlocked and, for me, it is easier to just leave it. I don't think I would bother to re-key to my ignition key; especially since you could never leave it in place with the box unlocked (loose fit). Might be different if I could easily fit a Yamaha lock cylinder to the Givi. In wfooshee's referenced thread (above), Brodie managed to machine a Yamaha cylinder to fit but that is beyond my capability/tools.