trunk shopping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_123

Reaction score
my wife and i are planning a few weekend rides in the near future and well

we need more storage room

she has the givi racks on her fz6 so that make the decission easy for her bike however mine not so much

ive got a 2010 fjr

ive never liked the look of the yamaha trunks round lines

has anyone ever installed a hardly davidson trunk on an fjr

of course you would have to remove any emblems and replace with yamaha emblems

i like the more storage space they seem to offer but just wondering what the lines of the harley trunk would look like on the fjr

on ebay there is some good prices on these trunks and with some simple paint work could be made to match

just asking your thoughts and opinions or if anyones done it

Your bike, your call. If you like the look, the price is palatable and you can figure out a mounting option, I say fo for it! I'm interested to see the combo.

Just be sure that top box doesn't vibrate too much. I hear right from the factory the HD gear is set to vibrate on high to match their bikes. ;)

Congrats on the 2010, too!

There's not a lot of subframe in the back, under the plastic, so moving the load from a larger case to the frame is really important. We haven't had a big thread recently about mounting plates but there have been many you may want to look up.

I went with a used Givi 52L Maxxi off EBay, partly because the Givi replaces the rear rack and grab-rail with a big welded tube assembly (Givi 357). It looks like an AWACS rotodome and the following picture doesn't show the width very well. I virtually never need the sidbags & if this isn't enough space, you need a trailer.

Kings5P1080222.jpg

I would like to see that. The harley trunk is fairly wide, square sides. If you could build a rack that fit it lower on the bike. Not way up in the air like my Givi. I've always felt that we were giving up a lot of storage under and around the mount. "Build it and they will come"

well i think ive found the trunk that fits the lines of the stock sidebags and the whole bike quite well

it is a hardley trunk so it a wide trunk with a rack on top and a comphy backrest that will be removed

im not to concerned about the mounting so far but it will have to work wiht a corbin smuggler aswell

im pretty sure once i peel away all the back end down to the subframe ill be able to fab up some good brackets to hold it all in place

i want to be able to have a quick attach type setup so when i remove the trunk there is no existing bracketry left on the bike

this may involve removing the grab handles and stock rear rack but i think that will just add to the cosmetics of the bike

im looking forward to this project

im sure it can be done alot cheaper but i like different and unique

I don't know what the Harley trunk weighs. The HD trunk was very sturdy and mine had lights in the back and LED's along the side. If I recall the trunk on my old Ultra Classic felt like it was about twice as heavy as my Givi E52. Maybe that was because of the extra lights. The added weight might pose a problem with the rear sub frame. You might want to check on the weight prior to purchase. I am very careful about how much weight I put in the E52. I have noticed that it bounces around a good bit when going down a rough road. I use a large sport touring plate to mount my E52.

I don't know what the Harley trunk weighs. The HD trunk was very sturdy and mine had lights in the back and LED's along the side. If I recall the trunk on my old Ultra Classic felt like it was about twice as heavy as my Givi E52. Maybe that was because of the extra lights. The added weight might pose a problem with the rear sub frame. You might want to check on the weight prior to purchase. I am very careful about how much weight I put in the E52. I have noticed that it bounces around a good bit when going down a rough road. I use a large sport touring plate to mount my E52.
tonight i hadf the tail end apart snappign some pictures of the subframe and your right

not alot of meat there to support much weight

however if one could beef up the sub frame with some gussets in the weeker areas and fab up a mount from down lower on the sub frame it could be quite sturdy

i also found a hardley trunk in a local pawn shop today thats pretty much exactly what im after i think

they are a tad on the heavy side compared to any givi stuff ive tossed around but stripping the box of the steal rack on top and the huge backrest may shed some weight

the price seemed fair but i had to try a low ball offer

ill bug the guy next week and see if he drops the price as it will still need paint

Premier cycle accessories has a rack that allows you to hookup a givi to it. Advantages to it are that it's a bolt on. Three screws. The box sits 1" lower than the giving mount. It also has two front to back adjustments for rider comfort predrilled. It can handle additional positions if you want to drill and tap. 4 holes. I just put a new givi Maxia 3, at 55 liters with a luggage rack. Looks great. Fits the lines of the bike. The whole deal was maybe $540.00. Half hour to install with 7 total screws.

Premier cycle accessories has a rack that allows you to hookup a givi to it. Advantages to it are that it's a bolt on. Three screws. The box sits 1" lower than the giving mount. It also has two front to back adjustments for rider comfort predrilled. It can handle additional positions if you want to drill and tap. 4 holes. I just put a new givi Maxia 3, at 55 liters with a luggage rack. Looks great. Fits the lines of the bike. The whole deal was maybe $540.00. Half hour to install with 7 total screws.
By chance to you have pics? Thanks