Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Morrison

Retired Postal Worker
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a trunk/backrest. The wife suprised me when she TOLD me to get the bike, now she would like to have some support when she rides with me. What is better? backrest or trunk??

Thanks

I'm looking to get a trunk/backrest. The wife suprised me when she TOLD me to get the bike, now she would like to have some support when she rides with me. What is better? backrest or trunk??
Thanks

A question I have open right now...look at these pics members posted! But in searching, its definitly user preference for which one is best for the 2nd rider. My wife will like the one I DONT buy...I'm sure.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=132034&hl=

Best looking back rest IMO...but would rather have a trunk. Taller...more surface area for 2nd rider...and all that extra storage!

https://pirateslair.net/YamahaStealth.htm

We came off a C50T and the wife loved the back rest, so I was pleased to find an 09 FeeJeR with an OEM trunk and back rest. After looking at how spendy that assembly is bought seperately ($800 ish), I'm sure I would have looked at other options like a Givi. In any case, I would reccommend getting a trunk with a back rest if possible. There's a pic of my bike in the n00b forum.

The trunk is so damn handy, I just leave it on all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only add to about half the equation. My wife ride together a lot and I got her a Garauld backrest and rack and liked it just fine. Awesome quality. Finding luggage for it though sucked. Another couple that we like to ride with had a trunk with a backrest which also worked great - without any of the strapping on luggage issues.

Since I totaled the last FJR and have just replaced it, I am going with the trunk. Got a used Yamaha trunk with mounting bracket and backrest for $350 and paid a bit more to paint to match (Garauld). Mounting this weekend, but I am pretty sure I am going to like it. No bungie cords, looks fine, wife's happy.

Unfortunately, those rascals are nearly a grand brand new with all the needed parts.

I can only add to about half the equation. My wife ride together a lot and I got her a Garauld backrest and rack and liked it just fine. Awesome quality. Finding luggage for it though sucked. Another couple that we like to ride with had a trunk with a backrest which also worked great - without any of the strapping on luggage issues.
Since I totaled the last FJR and have just replaced it, I am going with the trunk. Got a used Yamaha trunk with mounting bracket and backrest for $350 and paid a bit more to paint to match (Garauld). Mounting this weekend, but I am pretty sure I am going to like it. No bungie cords, looks fine, wife's happy.

Unfortunately, those rascals are nearly a grand brand new with all the needed parts.
My wife also prefers the $1000 trunk. OR you can go with a storm case on top of one of these

2duwp5s.jpg

If she wears a jacket with a back pad, you won't need the backrest pad on the top case, and it might crowd her too far forward haveing the backrest and the jacket armor.

As for which is better, backrest or trunk, you have to realize that the backrest doesn't carry very much stuff. Or lock it away.

I never wanted a Top Case/Trunk based on the aesthtetics... Picked one up for a long trip though...

I've spent so much time riding now, that I would not be without one - due to the convenient storage/retrieval that they offer!! Go Figure!!

Kinda like the Sheepskin Conversion that I am in the middle of right now!!

Get one with a built-in backrest. Keeps 'em from fallin' off... Trunk + Backrest is a winner!! <Grin>

Scott

Gotta agree with wfooshee on the Backrest if she's armoured... Dead Right!

Just love the simple access of the top opening case, and keep her on board...

Whatever you choose for her comfort... If you don't wanna feel pain - even through the thickness of your leather - don't go through 100 mph on the back wheel... That induces a substantial reaction...

My former hit me hard enough to make it hurt!!

Scott