trunks for 07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wheelingdawg

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
When i bought my bike, I also ordered the matching trunk for the back. I am about to lose my patience. The parts manager has told me 3 seperate Mondays when to expect delivery of the mounting bracket. The box has been in for some time, but without the bracket, of course it does no good. Has anybody else gotten their brackets yet? I know there was some type of recall or something, but all they keep telling me is "to expect it around the middle of the month." I told the kid at the parts count, that is what you also told me for August. The parts manager is on vacation all week, so i probably cannot get nothing done. They also told me that you have to drill holes to get to the sub-frame to attach the bracket. I'm not wild about drilling holes in a brand new bike. has any body mounted one on a Gen II bike yet? I would hope Yamaha redesigned it so not to have to do no drilling. Are there other options if i choose to get my money back? Anybody other than GIvi make top boxes? Any suggestions or brands would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

never mind, i found the topic covered really well down below. New to this site, I'll get it figured out in a day or two :dribble:

When i bought my bike, I also ordered the matching trunk for the back. I am about to lose my patience. The parts manager has told me 3 seperate Mondays when to expect delivery of the mounting bracket. The box has been in for some time, but without the bracket, of course it does no good. Has anybody else gotten their brackets yet? I know there was some type of recall or something, but all they keep telling me is "to expect it around the middle of the month." I told the kid at the parts count, that is what you also told me for August. The parts manager is on vacation all week, so i probably cannot get nothing done. They also told me that you have to drill holes to get to the sub-frame to attach the bracket. I'm not wild about drilling holes in a brand new bike. has any body mounted one on a Gen II bike yet? I would hope Yamaha redesigned it so not to have to do no drilling. Are there other options if i choose to get my money back? Anybody other than GIvi make top boxes? Any suggestions or brands would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
I got my trunk and bracket with in three days of ordering no drilling required my trunk came with the new stiffening plate attached and the mounting bracket also came with a stiffener so I wound up with a extra. My passenger back rest pad came seven days after ordering and that did require drilling not to big of deal other than the fact that it comes with six screws all the same length and it should have came with two a 1/4 inch longer as the top of the trunk is thicker. It only took fifteen minutes to mount the bracket pull three screws put the bracket in place and put three longer screws in. I bought my bike 8/28/07 got the trunk and mounthing bracket on the 30th picked up the pad on 9/4 I mounted the pad when I got home and took the wife for a ride a hour later. Sounds like your dealer not taking care of you.

I'm still waiting on my mount kit. I ordered the whole shebang from Umotors about 3 weeks ago. They sent part of the order and the backrest is in, but no mount kit yet. The trunk sure looks nice sitting in my garage on display :rolleyes:

I went by yesterday and canceled the order. I'm going to go with the Givi for half the price. The idiot at the parts counter asked me if i still wanted the trunk. I told him without the mounting bracket what good is the trunk, it is a $500 paper weight.

I got my trunk and bracket with in three days of ordering no drilling required my trunk came with the new stiffening plate attached and the mounting bracket also came with a stiffener so I wound up with a extra. My passenger back rest pad came seven days after ordering and that did require drilling not to big of deal other than the fact that it comes with six screws all the same length and it should have came with two a 1/4 inch longer as the top of the trunk is thicker. It only took fifteen minutes to mount the bracket pull three screws put the bracket in place and put three longer screws in. I bought my bike 8/28/07 got the trunk and mounthing bracket on the 30th picked up the pad on 9/4 I mounted the pad when I got home and took the wife for a ride a hour later. Sounds like your dealer not taking care of you.

Son of a.. I just spent the last hour trying to figure out why the top 2 screws don't seem to fit. I thought perhaps I was crazy, or was suppose to drill out a wider hole through 1/2 of the case. How can Yamaha identify these issues and not even make a note to the dealer?

My plate came in today, was on order for 2+ months. Of course, the re-enforced plate was already on the trunk as well.. so now I have two.

I went by yesterday and canceled the order. I'm going to go with the Givi for half the price. The idiot at the parts counter asked me if i still wanted the trunk. I told him without the mounting bracket what good is the trunk, it is a $500 paper weight.
I'm doing the same, ordering a Givi V46 Trunk, LED Kit: Link and mounting bracket: Link.

It seems silly to order from 3 seperate sources, but Givi's brake light kit isn't LED, and the Premier mounting plate offers forward/back Trunk placement for passenger comfort. If my passenger ain't happy, life sucks.

Also, Duane at Premier told me he's getting a new V46 passenger backrest pad in Nov, supposedly WAY more comfortable than Givi's backrest.

I'm doing the same, ordering a Givi V46 Trunk, LED Kit: Link and mounting bracket: Link.

It seems silly to order from 3 seperate sources, but Givi's brake light kit isn't LED, and the Premier mounting plate offers forward/back Trunk placement for passenger comfort. If my passenger ain't happy, life sucks.

Also, Duane at Premier told me he's getting a new V46 passenger backrest pad in Nov, supposedly WAY more comfortable than Givi's backrest.
What kind of cost for the "new" backrest pad or do you know? I am in the process of deciding which box I want for those long trips... I already have the Premier small rack and back rest...

khrome

Be sure you NEED a backrest. Most passengers don't like them as they "push" them too far forward. In NorCal, most pillions have riding jackets and the backpad in the jacket is enough for them.

YMMV

What kind of cost for the "new" backrest pad or do you know? I am in the process of deciding which box I want for those long trips... I already have the Premier small rack and back rest...

khrome
Not sure yet. All my shopping indicates PCA is competative, though.

I bought the non-rack back rest, but will be replacing that with the PCA rack, a V46, and the "new" backrest pad, since I need the extra luggage space for long trips. The new pad's contour is claimed to be more substantial. If you send me an email (listed in my profile), I'll forward my email exchanges w/ Duane on the topic.

Jager!