Tube Bars on 08 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norski

Reaction score
I have been a member for a year but am not the kind who asks constant questions. With the help of reading the questions and answers posted here I have been able to make my FJR a great bike. With that being said I am now stumped for an answer to a problem which I hope the members can help me with.

I've been trying just about everything to get bars which are comfortable for me to ride with including riser plates, spacers, Master Yoda etc. I've gotten close to what I want but still would like the freedom of choice afforded by tubular bars.

I noted that Speigler has a superbike bar setup for the Gen 1 FJR which includes a new upper triple clamp, bars etc. but none is listed for the Gen 2. I have searched the forums and haven't found anything about the conversion I wish to make. I am hoping that amongst all of you FJR experts out there at least one of you may have tried and succeeded with this type of setup.

Will a Gen 1 upper triple clamp fit on a Gen 2? If not a direct replacement what kind of modification would need to be done?

If this is not possible Is there anyone out there who has successfully converted a Gen 2 bike to tubular bars? I thought about maybe modifying the stock triple clamp to use some dirt bike risers or something like that.

I (and my back) would really appreciate any help I can get out there.

For what it's worth, I don't know if what you're describing is available out there, but for any decent machinist, a mount for standard handlebars is do-able. I'm a teacher now, but from the many years I spent as a machinist, there's no doubt that I could design what you're looking for. And there are a lot of guys out there, and maybe even on this forum, who have a lot more skill at fabricating than I ever did. However, one thought comes to mind: you can only pull back those controls so far, no matter what you hang them on. There's only so much play in those wires and brake/clutch hoses. But I should add that with enough money and/or labor, anything is possible. Any brake line or set of wires can be made longer if you want it bad enough and are willing to work or pay for it. But the quick, inexpensive and easy method? Risers. Risers not enough? I'm guessing that getting those grips closer or higher (than risers can) won't be easy or inexpensive. The extra height and/or pull back is limited for a reason. Riser manufacturers have limits because of what most customers actually want and limitations due to the length of the existing hoses and wires . Changing their length is a job, but it can be done.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input Gary. I thought about going to a good machinist to discuss what I wanted to do but thought I would put up a post on this forum before I went about reinventing the wheel. As for extending brake lines etc., I have done similar things for other bikes I have owned without much problem so that part doesn't worry me.

I am not looking to do anything super radical but would like the tube bars because of the ability to "fine tune" the ergonomics without a lot of problems. The cast aluminum bars on the FJR are well made and I do not want to try cutting and welding them to achieve my goal. Safety is always a concern.

As I mentioned before LSR which is sold by Speigler has a really nice setup for the Gen 1 which is still available but nothing for the Gen 2. If I knew that a Gen 1 triple clamp could fit my Gen 2 I could order the LSR kit but without some feedback from a reliable source like the readers of this forum I am reluctant to place the order.

Thanks Radio Howie. This is just what I was looking for.

Anyone out there have a line on where I can find some of those Helibar adjustable handlebars? I had some on a Triumph Sprint 1050 I used to own but sold them with the bike. Helibar no longer makes them.