Tunes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
Just wanted to share today's episode in case someone else is going down this path.

I have a set of silicone umbrella type ear buds for use under the helmet but the wind noise is quite loud and on the highway you have to crank it way up to hear. Not good. If riding 2 up I use the Chatterbox with helmet speakers and foam ear plugs. Not bad for communication, but poor sound quality from the little speakers.

So I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-NC11-Noise-...p;s=electronics

thinking it would work good to reduce the noise in my noisy helmet. I tried it out at home, without the helmet, and it didn't seem to cancel anything. So I got on the internet and read 75 customer reviews. 65 of them said either the thing doesn't work or it broke within a month. So I took it back and bought these:

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...=2405793&cp

What a difference! The foam feature does a very good job at keeping out the wind noise and the sound comes through the middle very nicely. These things are great and not much money. Perfect.

:yahoo:

I use a pair of Etymotic ER-6i earplug speakers, filters out road noise pretty well. Only downside is, the earbuds produce good bass but it gets diffused by bone conduction noise. Have many hours on them & still like them. I switch back & forth between the MP3 player & plain old earplugs depending on mood.

I use a pair of Etymotic ER-6i earplug speakers, filters out road noise pretty well. Only downside is, the earbuds produce good bass but it gets diffused by bone conduction noise. Have many hours on them & still like them. I switch back & forth between the MP3 player & plain old earplugs depending on mood.
Alot of people on this forum say they use the ER6i and like them. I'm leaving on a trip in a few days and was limited to Radio Shack or Circuit City. (Nope, you won't catch me planning ahead. No threat there.) I will defenitely try them next though. I just hooked up an XM radio and am exited to make it work good for the trip. 2500 miles. Today as I was testing out these earphones, for 3 hours, I listened to the NASCAR truck race in New Hampshire. Very cool.

Great timing on this thread. I was just starting to look at something like this. Off to radio shack I go. Maybe I will upgrade further down the road. Thanks guys!

+1 on the Etymotics. I went through several ear-buds prior to getting these -- they work very well.

I found them on the internet for $68.

I've been using these for about 3 or 4 years and continue to love 'em!
https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/ear/ear.html
+1 :yahoo: I tried about 5 different sets of ear buds before I had some custom ones made, there is no comparison , the sound is way better.

Bounce- the email address and phone number for the guy that makes the adaptor is incorrect on your web page, I emailed and called that guy and he does not make that product, I did get them from Edsets. Just FYI. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up with Sennheiser CX300. Much better than the etymotics, or a number of other brands I've tried. The Er6 had such flimsy wiring and I broke several. The Sennheisers work great as a noise plug too, I often ride without the tunes and just the earphones in. Good all day comfort too. My ears never get sore. About $50 not on sale.

+1 for custom molded earplugs,

(look at bounces link for good ones)

I used ER6's for a long time cause I was cheap and poor,

1) They don't fit as well

2) They don't sound as good

3) They won't last (they just aren't built to be on a bike out in the wind, getting accidentally yanked on)

-bvw.

I've been using these for about 3 or 4 years and continue to love 'em!

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/ear/ear.html
+1 :yahoo: I tried about 5 different sets of ear buds before I had some custom ones made, there is no comparison , the sound is way better.

Bounce- the email address and phone number for the guy that makes the adaptor is incorrect on your web page, I emailed and called that guy and he does not make that product, I did get them fron Edsets. Just FYI. ;)
You have a PM. And thanks for the heads up.

--update--

web page info updated. thanks again.

Tried almost everything out there, including the custom ones, can't beat the Etymotic's. IMO JB

+1 for custom molded earplugs, (look at bounces link for good ones)

I used ER6's for a long time cause I was cheap and poor,

1) They don't fit as well

2) They don't sound as good

3) They won't last (they just aren't built to be on a bike out in the wind, getting accidentally yanked on)

-bvw.
My experience was exactly the opposite. I tried the Westones. Painful, and only a little sound attenuation. Then I tried the ones by Precision Labs, which does most of them (like Bounce describes). They were more comfortable than the Westones. The westones use a vinyl material, the Precision Labs uses a silicon rubber type material. My recommendation is to skip the Westones and go with the Precison Labs (Challenger) doo-hickeys. However, even those did not work as they also did not attenuate enough ambient noise. Kind of hard to hear and enjoy the music when most of what you hear is wind noise.

I eventually tried the Etymotic ER-6s. Hallalujah! For ME, they were superior compared to the custom molded and more expensive types. They attenuate sound much better. They fit better and are more comfortable. They sound as good if not better, and have lasted almost two years and more than 60,000 miles.

So, like custom seats, windshields, and grips, there is no "holy grail" of earbud speakers unfortunately. Your results may vary based on individual experience/preference.

I will say I definitely recommend trying the Etymotic ER-6 earbud speakers.

Just bought me some Shure E4c's

https://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Pr...atafeed.SHU+E4C

Got them cheaper then that site... about $150. from a buddy...

Im totally diggin them... they give ya plenty of different choices for assortment of sleeves..

Or you can have a custom mold done for them as well....

They are pretty damn nice... and they fit nicely in the ear, with helmut on...

Sound is awesome... bass is great..

Hooked up to my Ipod Nano, and away I go, not a care in the world... :)

Warp

I use the Shure E2 @ $100. Efficient for more volume from low power XM etc.

Considering an amplifier to clean it up some?

I was jamming to some Ted Nugent on XM, looked down and was doing 95mph, FJR is smooth...

I use the Shure E2 @ $100. Efficient for more volume from low power XM etc.Considering an amplifier to clean it up some?

I was jamming to some Ted Nugent on XM, looked down and was doing 95mph, FJR is smooth...
Note to self:

Play Ted Nugent when running late.

Thanks

:D