Tupperware Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
In the process of again looking at sport touring bikes and the FJR is on the short list of bikes to consider along with the Honda ST-1300 and the new Kawa Concours 14. In looking at several of the bikes, the thought crossed my mind has to how ofter a reasonable person would remove the fairing plastic in order to clean hte radiator grill and other places that may need cleaned or service, and how hard is it to remove and re-install. Will appreciate any and all replies. Also feel free to offer and objective or subjective comments concerning the short list of bikes I am considering.

In the process of again looking at sport touring bikes and the FJR is on the short list of bikes to consider along with the Honda ST-1300 and the new Kawa Concours 14. In looking at several of the bikes, the thought crossed my mind has to how ofter a reasonable person would remove the fairing plastic in order to clean hte radiator grill and other places that may need cleaned or service, and how hard is it to remove and re-install. Will appreciate any and all replies. Also feel free to offer and objective or subjective comments concerning the short list of bikes I am considering.
I am a new guy to the FJR. I just got done doing some wiring. The lower stuff was not a big problem but the upper fairing is kind of a pain. You pretty much have to take everything off to get at the electical stuff. I do like the quick fasteners they use. All in all it is not any better or worse than most other bikes. I am sure you are not basing your decision on this item alone, and IMO it is not a real factor on an FJR.

I've got my tupperware fully off the first time in two years (doing some extreme projects for LD riding) and it's not nearly as dirty under there as I would have expected. Actually, I'm generally avoiding the radiator itself and only cleaning the aftermarket cover I put on it and the edges. I don't see a need to clean the radiator and risk damaging it. It stays sufficiently cool.

ST is fine bike emphasizing touring over sport. FJR is sport over touring. Connie looks interesting, but we're all still wondering about how heavy she actually is.

If I ever want to clean the radiator on either of my bikes, I'd simply hose it from the front if it was salt I was worried about, or stick the hose up from behing and below if it was accumulated bugs I wanted to get off. I've done nothing of the sort on my 65k miler.

I personally like the little tupperware that you can put a couple hard boiled eggs in with those little packets of salt. It seems to keep them rather nice.

The bike is not harder or easier than any other bike I have taken apart (at least part thereof)

I was daunted by the Goldwing in my garage at first. Then once I understood it I stopped using the manual and did it by instinct.

The same I suspect will be true of the FJR. I have only taken part of it off for I forget the reason. It was confusing at first, then simple once I did a **Oh, I see, those crafty bas$ard$** a couple of times.

Just my 2.5 sents << yes that

Last edited by a moderator: