Turbo for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Daly

YES I ran the fatty over!!
Reaction score
Is there currently a turbo charger that can be mounted on the FJR??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that the reason nobody has done it yet (and I can't locate any speed shop that's admitting they've even tried) is because without a substantial reworking of the entire bike (power and drive trains at the very top of the list) it would probably be a waste of time and money on the FJR. This being a shaft-driven bike, I don't believe that its design team ever even fantasized that someone would try squeezing turbo juice out of this mill. A Hayabusa or ZX-14 it's not (both of which lend themselves very well to turbo applications as I understand it).

All that said, a friend gave me the name of a company in Houston TX that could probably answer the question definitively. Here's the link to their site: https://www.mrturbo.com/index.html He says that if anyone can do it, they can but assures me that it wouldn't be cheap; $6,000 - $8,000 assuming that it could even be done. (While we were talking, he drew an analogy for turbo boost on a bike that had me laughing so hard I choked: "5 pounds of boost is an awesome experience. 10 pounds will have you pissing in your pants. 15-20 pounds is like a really hot chick with an STD; you really want to hit it, but you're f-ing terrified of the consequences." Sounded rehearsed but it was funny nonetheless.)

Blaze a trail, man (like the first monkey shot into space). We're all here for you! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that the reason nobody has done it yet (and I can't locate any speed shop that's admitting they've even tried) is because without a substantial reworking of the entire bike (power and drive trains at the very top of the list) it would probably be a waste of time and money on the FJR. This being a shaft-driven bike, I don't believe that its design team ever even fantasized that someone would try squeezing turbo juice out of this mill. A Hayabusa or ZX-14 it's not (both of which lend themselves very well to turbo applications as I understand it).
All that said, a friend gave me the name of a company in Houston TX that could probably answer the question definitively. Here's the link to their site: https://www.mrturbo.com/index.html He says that if anyone can do it, they can but assures me that it wouldn't be cheap; $6,000 - $8,000 assuming that it could even be done. (While we were talking, he drew an analogy for turbo boost on a bike that had me laughing so hard I choked: "5 pounds of boost is an awesome experience. 10 pounds will have you pissing in your pants. 15-20 pounds is like a really hot chick with an STD; you really want to hit it, but you're f-ing terrified of the consequences." Sounded rehearsed but it was funny nonetheless.)

Blaze a trail, man (like the first monkey shot into space). We're all here for you! :clapping:
I am in Houston, and have had several dyno tunes performed by MrTurbo, and would tend to follow his advice. I dropped by his shop and he basiclaly told me the same as far as an FJR and a turbo. Also, why screw up a good bike that really can't control the added power. Having ridden a turbo 'Busa, I don't think it would make a daily driver or a long trip without causing heart failure!