Twodog's mounting bracket '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodogs

Reaction score
In partial payback for all the good information from you guys, I post here my mounting bracket idea for your consideration and use. I needed a place to mount my fuse block. Under the tail has been used by others as reported here but the ribbing in place there makes for a troublesome mounting environment . So, I came up with this simple but, I think, effective bracket using an existing bolt . The stock seat pan mounts without difficulty with the bracket in place. The 7.5 inch horizontal span gives room to mount a Bluesea 6 fuse block leaving an extra 2.5 inches or so for another as yet undetermined bit (relay?).

It can be and was fabricated with hand tools and a vise (but a small brake would have been nice to have). It's made from 1/8x2" aluminum stock which seems to give sufficient rigidity. If you need it to be stiffer, a right side upright can be added - there is a corresponding bolt on that side.

There's a slight bend to the upright that you may be able to make out in the photos to compensate for the minute outboard tilt of the mounting bolt.

P1000801.jpg

P1000800.jpg

P1000796.jpg

P1000798.jpg

P1000799.jpg

P1000794.jpg

Very nice... Post some more pic' when you get the bluesea mounted. That would also make a great place to mount other farkles, Autocom/starcom/ect. Great job, Smitty :clapping:

Looks exactly like what I fabbed except I used heavy duty velcro to attach it. If you offset the Blue Sea to one side there's room for a relay to be mounted next to it.

Blue Sea fuse block now mounted (with wide "industrial" velcro to the bracket):

IMG_2104.jpg

With the cover off. Top row of fuses are spares for the time being. Yellow is ground:

IMG_2103.jpg

The wires running fore and aft; 2 10 gauge from battery to the fuse block and 4 (incl. ground) 16 gauge from fuse block to the front of the bike (wire available at West Marine) :

IMG_2105.jpg

The four wire on the left side before going under the front of the tank:

IMG_2106.jpg

The four wire passing by the steering head (just visible) and exiting by the speedo:

IMG_2107.jpg

Now I have to make and mount a power block. Because this will feed only electonics, I'm thinking of using a gang of power sockets under the speedo.

Excellent work nice and clean and thanks for the pictures. I had a question regarding the wire loom you used. Is the wire loom heat resistant and where I can purchase the product.

The wiring looks like Romex from Home Depot. Even if it isn't heat resistant, a bit of loom could be added easily enough. Good idea!

In partial payback for all the good information from you guys, I post here my mounting bracket idea for your consideration and use. I needed a place to mount my fuse block. Under the tail has been used by others as reported here but the ribbing in place there makes for a troublesome mounting environment . So, I came up with this simple but, I think, effective bracket using an existing bolt . The stock seat pan mounts without difficulty with the bracket in place. The 7.5 inch horizontal span gives room to mount a Bluesea 6 fuse block leaving an extra 2.5 inches or so for another as yet undetermined bit (relay?).
It can be and was fabricated with hand tools and a vise (but a small brake would have been nice to have). It's made from 1/8x2" aluminum stock which seems to give sufficient rigidity. If you need it to be stiffer, a right side upright can be added - there is a corresponding bolt on that side.

There's a slight bend to the upright that you may be able to make out in the photos to compensate for the minute outboard tilt of the mounting bolt.
Thanks for the idea and the pics. I made one up yesterday. Just finished the install and moving the barrier strips from under the front seat. :good:

Excellent work nice and clean and thanks for the pictures. I had a question regarding the wire loom you used. Is the wire loom heat resistant and where I can purchase the product.

Thanks, got the wire at West Marin. So far so good on the heat.

Is the wire loom heat resistant and where I can purchase the product.

Don't know about heat but he got it at West marine.

I'm looking at doing the same type of install but I wonder if access is tight on the top lugs of the Blue Sea panel.
Access appears tight in the photos because I have it located as far up on the mount as possible. If the top lugs were in use, the block could be positioned lower by engaging it lower on the velcro.

Thanks for your reply; I know it has been some time since the original post. I do like the new pictures of the front junction box. Is this a radio shack project box? I'm glad you are not experiencing any issues related to heat with the wire loom. I like the way it looks it is an elegant solution to routing wires across the motorcycle. Thanks again.