TyreDog Pressure Monitor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcjlmd

Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago, I went to the Grand Canyon...got a flat tire that I repaired...in the middle of nowhere. No idea how long it took for it to get completely flat, but that was reason enough for me to investigate tire pressure monitoring systems. Read the board, used the search function like the good newbie that I am, and decided to check out the TyreDog system....monitors pressure and temperature with sensors that just screw on the valve stem. I do understand the issue of the sensor itself potentially leaking and causing a flat, but I like the simplicity of the system. It arrived yesterday, and I did a 300 mile test...so far, I am very impressed and love it. Of course, time will tell if it is reliable enough.

I put the readout in the map compartment of my tankbag, and had a continuous readout of pressure throughout my ride. I verified pressures at the beginning and end of my ride with a digital Accugauge. I will be happy to report back to the board about longer-term results if anyone is interested.

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company.

Marc

By all means keep us abreast of your evaluation of these. I have wanted to install that very system, but was reluctant without some good hard facts from somebody who had tried them. The only other system has that clunky piece that goes inside the tire and I have always been concerned that it would be broken by some clutz with a tire machine. In fact, I have read horror stories confirming that has been the case. :rolleyes:

Ed, Lancaster, SC

Yes, I would be very interested in hearing your longer-term experience with this system. I use the tire pressure monitoring system that came with my Suburban all the time, especially when I'm towing my trailer. It's my way of keeping track of the stresses I'm putting on the tires when I'm barreling down the freeway in 110 degree heat.

Yes, I would be very interested in hearing your longer-term experience with this system. I use the tire pressure monitoring system that came with my Suburban all the time, especially when I'm towing my trailer. It's my way of keeping track of the stresses I'm putting on the tires when I'm barreling down the freeway in 110 degree heat.
It was interesting for me yesterday to watch the pressure climb as I drove in the West Texas heat. Both tires started at about 40-41 psi, and climbed fairly quickly to about 45. Again, I confirmed this with a very accurate gauge after completing my trip. I am concerned about the screw-on sensors causing a problem themselves, but here is my approach...

1. ALWAYS carry a pump when/if using this system

2. ALWAYS carry backup valve-stem caps in the event if aforementioned failure.

I will monitor pressures with my bike sitting still for several days, as well as on long trips. I have SS2000, SS5000, and a 50CC planned, so I want to know that thi s system is trustworthy.

Marc

It is fairly normal, and expected, that tire pressures may climb as much as 4 psi during a ride. That's why they tell you to check your pressure when the tires are cold.

I check tire pressures on all bikes every few weeks. It is common for some of them to lose one or two psi a week, and these need to be filled to spec when the lower pressure is discovered. Some bikes, like my BMW K1200Rsport and my FJR1300AE appear to have higher quality wheels and stems, and these can go for several months without ever reading differently from their initial spec fill up.

It was reported by some in an earlier thread that they lose a couple of psi every time they check their tires. If you're in that group, you need a better gage and a better technique, especially if you're serious about this stuff.

As for the utility of these tire pressure monitoring systems, I know I'm on the record as suggesting that perhaps they're not worth the money.... however, I am open minded enough to be interested in anecdotal evidence where folks who have the monitoring systems would write their stories about how having the tire pressure monitoring system helped them in some way to avoid being stranded on the road, or how the system helped them achieve better handling in some way.

Keep in mind that there is an expectation that your tire pressure will rise as you ride, so knowing that this happened is not really a very interesting anecdote. Similarly, if you pick up a nail and the tire pressure monitor tells you that your pressure is low, it might give you enough warning to avoid taking a hard curve at speed, and this would be a good story.

Just my two cents.

Hey Marc, it's been a while since you posted about the Tyre Dog. How about an a long term update if you're still using it? I would like to get this one or the Doran 360M

I use and have used the tiregard on my bikes for a while now. They work great for me.

the TyreDog system....monitors pressure and temperature with sensors that just screw on the valve stem.
This sounds similar to my Show Chrome Accessories TireGard. I am on record on the Forum of my nearly one year frustration trying to get them to work. A guy at Show Chrome early on said it sounded defective so I paid to ship it back for replacement. However, they only replaced the sensors and it still would not update the pressures. After months of dealing with a woman who did not seem to understand the system, I sent a copy of my scathing post at this site to them and someone else there offered to replace the whole unit. They even sent me a prepaid shipping label. Clearly, it turns out, the receiver was the defective part, not the sensors.

The replacement has a slightly redesigned receiver which is easier to tell if it synched up with the sensors. I now love it and for about $159, I like the peace of mind since I would rarely check my pressures. In about two months, the front lost 2 pounds and the rear lost 1 pound so they may leak a little (although, I always found that I very slowly lost some air before adding the TireGard but did not document how much). It is somewhat hard to know for sure how much air is lost since the cold pressures change at least two pounds with ambient temperature changes.

I wonder if the stem mounted monitors on these type systems are heavy enough to require the tire to be rebalanced. What (if anything) does the documentation have to say about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Smart Tire system for 48k miles now without an issue. I purchased a new bike and went with Doran system because the Smart Tire system is not available any more. The Smart Tire is an internally mounted and the Doran can be mounted either in or out and comes with both straight and 90 degree metal valve stems. I always carry a copy of the manual which shows how to mount and remount the tire properly so not to damage the sender unit. I find these really provide peace of mind as you ride. A low tire, especially on the rear, can over heat and cause a blow out. A low front tire becomes pretty obvious if you doing corners as the steering becomes very heavy. If you are doing interstate miles you many not be aware until things really go wrong. Anyhow I believe this is a safety issue and they give me an added comfort level. It would be nice if they came stock from the factory like they do on the new Kawasaki Concours. I always look my tires over after every ride and check the PSI, the next day, with a guage at least everyother ride. The TPMS will show you the PSI within a few miles after you start out on your ride. I believe they are worth the money.

I've been looking at the Doran. but that's gonna have to wait another year or so

I have used the Smart Tire system for 48k miles now without an issue. I purchased a new bike and went with Doran system because the Smart Tire system is not available any more. The Smart Tire is an internally mounted and the Doran can be mounted either in or out and comes with both straight and 90 degree metal valve stems. I always carry a copy of the manual which shows how to mount and remount the tire properly so not to damage the sender unit. I find these really provide peace of mind as you ride. A low tire, especially on the rear, can over heat and cause a blow out. A low front tire becomes pretty obvious if you doing corners as the steering becomes very heavy. If you are doing interstate miles you many not be aware until things really go wrong. Anyhow I believe this is a safety issue and they give me an added comfort level. It would be nice if they came stock from the factory like they do on the new Kawasaki Concours. I always look my tires over after every ride and check the PSI, the next day, with a guage at least everyother ride. The TPMS will show you the PSI within a few miles after you start out on your ride. I believe they are worth the money.

Greetings,

Have / had the TyreDog for awhile now.

First of all I had to send it back, one of the transducers were faulty.

I decieded to check the calibration of the transducers at work.

Worked as a sparky at the local hospital and used the Fitters calibration equiptment, (they did).

The transduces were way out, basically useless 6+- psi out.

It was only good to see how flat the tyres were.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone use TireGard? I've heard they occasionally die and some stories about them putting stress on the valve stem when in motion. This has caused the valve stem to fail and the tire to go flat in a matter of seconds. I've also heard that metal valve stems solve this problem.

Anyone had any experience with these? Would this only happen with bent valve stems, or with straight ones (perpendicular to the tangent) as well? With straight ones, the only direction the stem would be pushed should be out - into the tire. Not sure if it could actually fail in this direction (tire pressure should counteract this force), but am thinking about cutting some sleeves to prevent this outward movement and try them out.

Also curious about wheel balance with them installed.

I'm going to break out the scale, weigh them and do some rough force calculations at various wheel rpms.

Or just get metal valve stems installed with the next set of tires.

Anyone use TireGard? I've heard they occasionally die and some stories about them putting stress on the valve stem when in motion. This has caused the valve stem to fail and the tire to go flat in a matter of seconds. I've also heard that metal valve stems solve this problem.
Anyone had any experience with these? Would this only happen with bent valve stems, or with straight ones (perpendicular to the tangent) as well? With straight ones, the only direction the stem would be pushed should be out - into the tire. Not sure if it could actually fail in this direction (tire pressure should counteract this force), but am thinking about cutting some sleeves to prevent this outward movement and try them out.

Also curious about wheel balance with them installed.

I'm going to break out the scale, weigh them and do some rough force calculations at various wheel rpms.

Or just get metal valve stems installed with the next set of tires.

Join our regular programming already in progress: TireGuard Topic Link