Uh-Oh.. Did some work under the tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DailyCommuter

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Reaction score
So, as usual when it is crappy weather out, I like to go into the garage and tinker with the Feej. Today was no exception. I started with the normal routine, Grab a mug of coffee and go out there and just stand sipping thinking what can I do today. We all know about Some of the dumb things I do when I get bored. I was trying to keep it reasonable today.

Everything I did today or took apart, I have had apart before so I don't really understand why I have these extra Parts, Maybe some of the more technical members can offer up some ideas. I'll post some pictures of my engine and then the leftover parts... Thanks for you help... :rolleyes:

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

[SIZE=18pt] :unsure: [/SIZE][SIZE=18pt]OK heres all the left over stuff.... really scratching my head here because there's no where for it to go... [/SIZE] :unsure:

DSCN0082.jpg

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

OK I had my fun now let me give you a tip. I have seen in some of the threads where people were having trouble getting the covers on and the old crap off because of the lack of room for Allen wrenches.

[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

This is what I used. It is just one of those screwdriver type bits, in a 5mm Allen wrench size. and a ratcheting box wrench. it worked very well for the hard to get ones. To keep the bit from slipping out of the wrench while I was using it, I took a very small piece of the Latex mechanic gloves and pushed it in with the bit. Nice firm grip in the wrench.

DSCN0089.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

DSCN0091.jpg

Something else I really didn't pick up on (even though I read it) i the other posts was how much easier service will be. Particularly TBS' jobs. that little rubber bastard on # 2 always gave me a hard time. Look in the picture how exposed they all are now.
DSCN0087.jpg

So after installing 08FJR4ME's Block offs I went ahead and changed the spark plugs( I was due soon anyway), and did a TBS. I went to Dave's place yesterday to pick up my block off plates with a friend of mine. Dave is a gentlemen and a craftsmen. He hopped on his scoot and even went for a ride with us as we were leaving to head back home. (about an hour away). What a guy ;) I figured I would do a TBS to see if the pair covers affected anything, and also because I just did the plugs , And Oh yeah I threw These on the other day too... WOO-HOO.

Love the exhaust Dale, Very well made. and they sound AWESOME.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you didn't have to mess with the coolant line using your nifty ratcheting drive there?

-MD

Way to go Commuter! It looks like you have an entire cardiac bypass kit left over.

I have a Chapman Wrench set that I use for jobs like that. My set is a better than the one below but it will give you the general idea:

colorkitmoksharymed240.jpg

There are a number of ways the pieces from this kit can be (mis)used:

chaext.jpg
charat2.jpg
chapop3.jpg

cm13.gif

The individual bits can be used with a ratcheting box end wrench the way Daily did too :good:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing last night except I used a an allen wrench with a ball end and a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 4 mm allen attachment. There is plenty of room. I spent about an hour for the whole job. I also replaced my original spark plugs (29,515 miles) :headbonk: and fixed my throttle cable that had come of the bracket and was just flopping around.

Replacing the covers is easy and does not require the coolant pipe to be removed.

Looks like some sort of japanese scuba gear. You know those Yamahamians are always putting extra parts on that aren't needed.................or are they?

Way to go Commuter! It looks like you have an entire cardiac bypass kit left over.
I have a Chapman Wrench set that I use for jobs like that. My set is a better than the one below but it will give you the general idea:

colorkitmoksharymed240.jpg

There are a number of ways the pieces from this kit can be (mis)used:

chaext.jpg
charat2.jpg
chapop3.jpg

cm13.gif

The individual bits can be used with a ratcheting box end wrench the way Daily did too :good:
I'm gonna need one of those kits I think. I can probably fit it in my road kit..

Great write-up! Why is your engine so clean? I know you ride your bike :)

That kit is my first choice for low to mid torque Allen screws. I've just about worn out the bits that fit the fairing :lol: I find the ground to correct size Phillips bits to be really good too.

Great write-up! Why is your engine so clean? I know you ride your bike :)
Because I ride in the rain so much it is virtually self cleaning... :yahoo:

Alan you should hear the new cans.... My neighbors hate 'em already :rolleyes: ... That means they sound awesome. :clapping:

Nope I have a Gen II and I didn't have to mess with the colant lines at all.
Nice job DC,

I am just wondering if someone had some pic's of the Gen1 under the tank to see what the differences are. I am hearing they are a little harder to do the install on the block off plates. Since i haven't seen one under the tank yet it would help. So if any of you Feejer owners would like to post a pic of your Gen1 engine valve cover area it might be helpfull. I have had a few people ask me and i don't have a real good answer other than it's harder to do.