Under mesh in the heat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zip

Reaction score
Heading out for the first time on a fairly long weekend ride (The White/Green Mountains get-together.) It's going to be hot.

I've got mesh gear, but wondering what to wear underneath for 90 degree heat?

I've also got just one pair of boots - waterproof - so a little concerned that those may be very hot.

I'm leaving this afternoon, so don't really have time to shop for any new gear, but may acquire some for the future.

Happy to get any advice. Thanks!

Evaporative Cooling Vest....unless it's a region with high humidity. Otherwise just LD Comfort gear.

I wear only a pair of LD comfort shorts, which is like a 2 layer compression style short, under the mesh pants. I wear just a polypro tee shirt under my mesh jacket and if it gets cold I'll throw on another layer in between.

Don't worry though Barry, it's not going to be that hot!! 'Specially up in the hills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear comfortable denim shorts and a t shirt under mesh pants and my normal Olympia AST jacket with the vents open. I am comfortable as long as I am moving. When I stop the jacket comes off immediately.

LD Comfort shorts

Miracool vest...works good enough to save my bacon in heat with high humidity...much, much better than nothing

long sleeve light colored cotton T-shirt when using the cooling vest...otherwise, long sleeve loose coolmax shirt

Damn! As much as I don't wanna admit to being in Johnnys camp.. I just let me nuts hang, and an evap vest for me nipples ;)

:jester:

Any polypro shirt that's handy (Shift or other brand dirt bike shirts are great, some are all/partially mesh) and a pair of very, very lightweight synthetic jogging pants.

Any polypro shirt that's handy (Shift or other brand dirt bike shirts are great, some are all/partially mesh) and a pair of very, very lightweight synthetic jogging pants.
Yep...what he said. Synthetic walking shorts because sometimes, whenyou stop, it's nice to take off the riding suit and enjoy a cool breeze or wading into a river.

Yuh duzzent wanna see this "white whale" en thems birfday soot. Et jist hain't purdy, it'll hurt yer eyeballs!

I wear wicking layers, top and bottom. Long sleeve shirt & full pants style wicking layers.

Same stuff I use for snowboarding.

I'm sure there are some 'ideal' ones for the hot as opposed to cold, but basically, you are going to sweat your ass off no matter what you wear. Long sleeves & trousers help gear on and off, cool quickly when jacket is off, etc.

Heading out for the first time on a fairly long weekend ride (The White/Green Mountains get-together.) It's going to be hot.
I've got mesh gear, but wondering what to wear underneath for 90 degree heat?

I've also got just one pair of boots - waterproof - so a little concerned that those may be very hot.

I'm leaving this afternoon, so don't really have time to shop for any new gear, but may acquire some for the future.

Happy to get any advice. Thanks!
Longs sleeved shirt.

Under-armor, or if you're cheap, the Wal-Mart equivalent for about a third of the price.
+1

Much better than cotton for two reasons. Wicks water away and cools, plus if you do down, it's a slicker surface on your skin than cotton. When I crashed wearing a cotton t-shirt under a mesh jacket, the jacket stayed intact, but the t-shirt and my skin tore underneath from abrasion with the jacket.