Uni Filter Oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khunajawdge

Toto El Mundo!
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Uni air filter for my FJR, but I didn't order the oil and cleaner.

Already have oil and cleaner for the K&N on my car.

Can I use the K&N products on my new Uni with desirable results?

Anybody in the know?

I have just purchased a Uni air filter for my FJR, but I didn't order the oil and cleaner.
Already have oil and cleaner for the K&N on my car.

Can I use the K&N products on my new Uni with desirable results?

Anybody in the know?
I wouldn't - the K+N oil is very thin as compared to the Uni oil. The Uni stuff is more like 90W gear oil.

Usually the street K&N air filters should not use oil. Usually only foam air filters need oil.
What type of filter is it, paper type compound or foam?
You might want to re-read your K&N info. K&N filters come pre-oiled in many(most) cases. If you clean a K&N filter, (do use the K&N cleaner), you will need to re-oil it. K&N cleaner is a citrus type and shouldn't be used on foam filters. Ditto that Uni cleaner shouldn't be used on K&N filters.

I actually have both cleaners and oils in the garage at the moment for various reasons. :unsure:

While they each claim the oil is formulated specially for each type of filter, (foam or gauze), there are no ingredients listed. I'd be most concerned about solvents in the oil or propellent doing damage to the foam, rather than any issue with the K&N gauze.

HERE is the MSDS for K&N Spray filter oil.

HERE is the MSDS for Uni spray filter oil.

If I'm reading them correctly, the Uni is a Aliphatic Hydrocarbon base (no benzine), and the K&N is an Aromatic Hydrocarbon base (contains benzine). This may suggest these are NOT interchangeable oils for the application at hand. The benzine may eat at the foam Uni filter, degrading it over time. How much time, I don't know.

FWIW, I have seen foam filters degraded by using the wrong oils, but couldn't identify what actual oils were used in those cases. It looks like the foam rots and it comes apart in granules.

You should be able to buy some foam filter oil at the local bike shop or auto parts store. Probably a good investment.

HTH

Thanks for ALL the responses and you are ALL right. Except for Patriot who was thinking outside the box! :D

The Tech guy at UNI called me this afternoon after I placed an inquiry on "the UNI voice machine".

He said No, don't use K&N oil on a UNI air filter, as it will run off too quickly on the UNI. K&N oil is a low viscosity oil that is probably held by the gauze but not by the foam.

So, I read somewhere(?), that regular 30wt. oil works A-OK with a UNI, No?

Have used K&Ns on previous bikes for years, and FWIW I've found that the best way to clean them is just plain old warm sudsy water [several times, lots of sloshing] and straight H2O Rinse [low pressure spray], fling off as much water as you can & sit them in the sun and allow to air dry. Usually use dishwashing detergent. K&N aerosol to re-oil.

I can't find the link to the stuff I use on my UNI filter, but it is an aerosol oil made for foam air filters. It is pretty sticky stuff and not at all like motor oil. Any place that sells dirt bikes should have a selection.