unintended consequences

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
I needed a new helmet, and as I was perusing the new Shoei offerings, I noticed that they have a bright yellow lid. I'm generally a brown-on-brown guy, but it occurred to me that anything that might make me more visible would be a good thing, so I popped for the yellow.

As soon as I started wearing it around, I immediately noticed a change in other drivers' behavior: I'm being challenged much more, particularly (but not exclusively) by drivers of fast-and-furious type pocket rockets.

I'm thinking that although I bought and am wearing the yellow because I wanted to be more *visible*, the other drivers are thinking that it's because *I* want to be more visible.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I now ride hi-viz yeller helmet and jacket. Truthfully, I haven't really noticed any different behaviors in aggressiveness towards me.

I've had a neon-yellow Scorpion helmet for 3 1/2 years or so and have not noticed other drivers being more aggressive.

I have, however, received numerous comments at rest areas from cagers saying something along the lines of, "I could see your helmets coming / going for two miles!"

My response: "Good!"

It's a way noticeable difference. Maybe it's because of lane-splitting, which though legal here in California, does piss off some people. Los Angeles-area drivers are always only one nudge away from road-rage anyway, and the bright-yellow helmet sliding through the traffic past them while they have to wait may be just that extra nudge. Alternatively, I guess I should consider that wearing the bright yellow helmet is making me ride more aggressively.

Hi-vis is just that, I can't see why it would make others around you "challenging."

Why would a hi-viz color make you ride more aggressively?

Hi-Viz jacket and helmet. Also get a lot of comments from strangers about how far away they saw me and how the colors really caught their attention. Same response as BikerGeek: That's good because that is why I wear them - so people will see me.

Just wearing the hi-vis is still no guarantee that someone won't pull out right in front of you or try to occupy the same space on the street. Constant vigilance and position awareness are your friends.

Yellow helmet or not, I usually have fun when challenged by a zit faced kid in a clown car with a fart can.. or any Harley..watch out for Porshe 911 tho.

Hi-Viz jacket and helmet. Also get a lot of comments from strangers about how far away they saw me and how the colors really caught their attention. Same response as BikerGeek: That's good because that is why I wear them - so people will see me.
Just wearing the hi-vis is still no guarantee that someone won't pull out right in front of you or try to occupy the same space on the street. Constant vigilance and position awareness are your friends.
No question in my mind the yellow helmet and hi-viz gear gets noticed...... except for the cagers who are texting..... and it's still up to you to be vigilant.

I've been wearing a hi-viz helmet and jacket for years. I haven't noticed any difference in driver's behavior towards me. I still get assholes who want to change lanes right into me because they don't bother doiing a shoulder check. Heck, last year some asshole rear ended me while stopped at a traffic light. I was in full hiviz gear and had flashing brake light function. It's all in vain when these morons are not looking at the road, and are texting. The asshole that hit me didn't even hit the brakes, he just plowed into me.

In short, hiviz helps, but only if drivers are looking where they are going.

Interesting. I began wearing a HJC white helmet several months ago and noticed that in some occasions vehicles move aside when I split lane. Perhaps they thought I look like a CHP motor officer! California highway patrols wears white helmet too. I don't see any aggressive behaviors. I used to wear small-size solid orange Shoei helmet but that one too tight for me and retired it afterward.

Interesting. I began wearing a HJC white helmet several months ago and noticed that in some occasions vehicles move aside when I split lane. Perhaps they thought I look like a CHP motor officer! California highway patrols wears white helmet too. I don't see any aggressive behaviors. I used to wear small-size solid orange Shoei helmet but that one too tight for me and retired it afterward.
I used to wear a white helmet all the time. I was leading a group of five ZRXers in the rain on day, and when we stopped the guy riding in the rear said he could see my white helmet far better than any of the helmets between us. Apparently, that white helmet really stood out on a grey, rainy day. I'm about due for a new helmet, and I think I'll go back to white.