Upgrade for my wimpy horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
Well, I think I have a horn on this bike, but it doesn't seem to work at freeway speeds. I push that button on the left side and maybe I think I hear something, but I can never tell for sure. Well...this needs to change. I need to get noticed when I decide to press that magic button. Something like the second coming is what I have in mind. Has anyone out there tackled this problem successfully?

And for the purists out there I DID do a search on horn and nothing came back along the lines I'm interested in.

And I probably won't entertain putting a big set of over-chromed airhorns on the rig, but anything else is fair game. So I will sit & wait to see what this august community can dream up.

W2

I'm thinking about replacing mine too. I hear the German Hella Horns are good. 113db's

Same size but, waay louder. I don't want to have to cut to fit anything either. Installs like the original.

I'll do it soon. I'll let you know how they sound.

I put a set of Stebel Nautilus air horns on my FJR. They are painfully loud - which is what is needed to wake up those cell phone yacking soccer moms!

There's different ways to mount these puppies and I happen to have some links saved:

My install

Spunkmyers install

FJRandy's install

BTW, the best way to search this forum is to use Google. In the google search window, type what you want to search for, add a space and then type "site:fjrforum.com" (without the quotation marks). This will search only this site and I guarantee you'll find lots of horn discussion.

If you want an easy install get Randy's wiring harness and a set of the magnum blasters.

If you are willing to more work look at the Stebel Nautilus airhorn. These are more prone to dirt and failure than the magnum blasters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about replacing mine too. I hear the German Hella Horns are good. 113db's
Same size but, waay louder. I don't want to have to cut to fit anything either. Installs like the original.

I'll do it soon. I'll let you know how they sound.
In form, fit & function the Hellas look like a good match. Anybody know of anyone who has installed a set of these on their Feejer? The writeups on Amazon say the things must be kept clean. The mount point on the bike is exposed so I'm curious about their long-term efficacy.

W2

I got some of these, but they just sounded like a louder M/C horn, so I installed a set of these instead. I'll soon be upgrading to a Nautilus on one side, for a bit more punch....

Fiamm Highway Blasters... kit inlcudes both hi & lo horns. Mine are in the same spot as factory w/out the need to cut into the sidewall plastic. Don't buy imitation "freeway blasters."

If you're electrically-challenged like me, or want a fast install, then get Randy's FJR Horn Harness.

I've got the PIAA Sports Horns. They go in the same place as the originals, no extra wiring or cutting. They come in a high or low pitch, I've got the low, sounds like an angry car. I think they are 115db.

YouTube 2

The shake fist / flashing headlight must be optional. :blink:

OK. After much wailing & gnashing of teeth, I have purchased a set of PIAA Sports Horns from Amazon (Clicky) and am dealing with FJRandy to acquire one of his professional grade wiring harnesses. I hope & expect that very soon I can be heard approaching from any direction as if it were the second coming. I will post pix & a narative of the install. If I have to cut ANYTHING that isn't a wire, these horns will go back to Amazon & the search will continue.

Cheers,

W2

Do a search on Magnum Blasters. I originally installed Freeway Blasters on my bike because they were at every auto parts store in town. I moved them to the truck (louder than an OEM GMC Sierra horn) and installed the MBs instead (louder still).

OK. After much wailing & gnashing of teeth, I have purchased a set of PIAA Sports Horns from Amazon (Clicky) and am dealing with FJRandy to acquire one of his professional grade wiring harnesses. I hope & expect that very soon I can be heard approaching from any direction as if it were the second coming. I will post pix & a narative of the install. If I have to cut ANYTHING that isn't a wire, these horns will go back to Amazon & the search will continue.
Cheers,

W2
I'll be waiting for your report! :rolleyes:

I recently installed the Stebel.

I had originally purchased the Magnum Blasters and Randy's harness. But really wasn't happy with the location. I know some folks have stuffed them in the place of the originals with some mods but I could never really get them in there to where I was comfortable they'd never bind or get in the way.

So... I have set I'd sell cheap.

I re-used Randy's harness (ripped it apart and re-wrapped for the Stebel).

I split the Stebel, put the compressor under the right fairing, below the battery and stuff, on a manufactured bracket.

put the horn mounted in the center/top of the radiator.

Used copper tubing in the plastic horn, and tubing to the compressor. Am very happy.

-MD

If I have to cut ANYTHING that isn't a wire, these horns will go back to Amazon & the search will continue.
Cheers,

W2

I just bolted the PIAAs right where the stock horns were, with a little adjusting they fit nicely. I removed the arms (brackets) from the back of the stock horns, the PIAAs come with the brackets attached.

DSC02990.JPG

Cheers,

-ec

+1 on the Stebel Magnum Horns; installed mine without cutting any plastic

used FJRandy's wire harness--> excellent product from Randy

Alfred

I split the Stebel, put the compressor under the right fairing, below the battery and stuff, on a manufactured bracket.

Used copper tubing in the plastic horn, and tubing to the compressor.
Did you do a write-up? How does one split the Stebel without breaking stuff?

Used copper tubing in the plastic horn, and tubing to the compressor.
Did you do a write-up? How does one split the Stebel without breaking stuff?
I did not cause someone else had already done it...

If I recall correctly, there was one screw to take out, the plastic horn part simply grips the compressor and there's a femail part that fits into the exhaust of the compressor (male piece) which 5/16th's inch fuel line tubing just happens to fit on.

I then used some 5/16ths inch copper tubing and carefully drilled out the plastic and tapped the tubing in. I used about a 4 " piece. I didn't have enough fuel line tubing so I used some clear plastic tubing from a pump from an aquarium we used to have. This worked fine for a while but one of the bends around the radiator eventually kinked, so I used another small piece of tubing at that corner.

next time the bike is apart I'll take some photos.

-MD