Using Handheld CB's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windchaser1942

Reaction score
I have a Cobra handheld CB that I plug into a Starcom Advanced and then hook the CB on to my belt. It works ok but the range is limited. I have been thinking about making sometype of an attachment to mount the radio temporarly on the bike and then connect it to a permanent antenna. I have spent a good amount of time looking in both the Bin o facts and the Recuring Threads but I didn't find anything. I do know that putting it in a tank bag doesn't work as it picks up too much ignition noise however, when I tired it I still had the "rubber ducky antenna" attached. Any suggestions as where I might find some info on this subject. Thanks in advance should you care to reply.

I made a simple L bracket of aluminum and bolted it to the left threaded hole...bent to a comfortable angle for mounting the Cobra. Then I used Dual-loc (industrial strength Velcro) to attach the handheld to the bracket. And I added a 3 foot external antennae mounted to the rear...with the help of a local CB shop.

The bracket and CB made it all 11 days of the Iron Butt Rally...however the radio didn't survive the remnants of the hurricane I rode through.

I made a simple L bracket of aluminum and bolted it to the left threaded hole...bent to a comfortable angle for mounting the Cobra. Then I used Dual-loc (industrial strength Velcro) to attach the handheld to the bracket. And I added a 3 foot external antennae mounted to the rear...with the help of a local CB shop.
The bracket and CB made it all 11 days of the Iron Butt Rally...however the radio didn't survive the remnants of the hurricane I rode through.
Thanks for the reply. Any chance of getting a pic? If not, where did you attach the bracket? (don't know what is meant by the "left threaded hole") Is the antenna the common variety like a FireStick or is it something that modifies the "ground plane". Have no idea what that means.....something that I have run accross in my research.

I made a small CNC mill setup for the basement a couple of years ago and it was just this sort of project that got me started. I also have a Cobra but it's in a J&M Audio Pack so it would mount a little differently. Here's a link to a couple of my project - you will see a GMRS radio mount down the list. This can easily be changed to suit the Cobra CB. It mounts on the brake reservoir. The machine screws are very long so there is little or no chance of the reservoir being damaged. It's been on there for over 120,000 Km's.

FJR Radio mount

If this is really what suits you, I may be convinced to make another one. You will have to bend it yourself though. I can give you some guidance.

I tried an external antenna when I had my Cobra mounted on my Concours - way too much trouble and the rubber ducky worked just as well. Probably an antenna tuning issue but it never seemed to get sorted out. I also find that body position seems to play a factor in that if your body or the other radio operator's body gets between the antennae, reception suffers. I wouldn't think it would be such a problem but it's the case with my GF and I - presumably because CB is line of sight.

I made a small CNC mill setup for the basement a couple of years ago and it was just this sort of project that got me started. I also have a Cobra but it's in a J&M Audio Pack so it would mount a little differently. Here's a link to a couple of my project - you will see a GMRS radio mount down the list. This can easily be changed to suit the Cobra CB. It mounts on the brake reservoir. The machine screws are very long so there is little or no chance of the reservoir being damaged. It's been on there for over 120,000 Km's.

FJR Radio mount

If this is really what suits you, I may be convinced to make another one. You will have to bend it yourself though. I can give you some guidance.

I tried an external antenna when I had my Cobra mounted on my Concours - way too much trouble and the rubber ducky worked just as well. Probably an antenna tuning issue but it never seemed to get sorted out. I also find that body position seems to play a factor in that if your body or the other radio operator's body gets between the antennae, reception suffers. I wouldn't think it would be such a problem but it's the case with my GF and I - presumably because CB is line of sight.
Hey...that is really good work! Nice job. I don't know how well this would work due to the dimensions of the Cobra (it is much longer). The other concern is the proximity of the unit to the ignition system. I really don't know if this is a problem if I use an antenna mounted at the rear of the bike. At any rate your bracket could be mounted to my Givi top box. Thanks for for the input.

Thanks for the reply. Any chance of getting a pic? If not, where did you attach the bracket? (don't know what is meant by the "left threaded hole") Is the antenna the common variety like a FireStick or is it something that modifies the "ground plane". Have no idea what that means.....something that I have run accross in my research.
The left hole by the clutch with a small black cap in it. Pry up the cap and it's threaded.....it's a vestigial mirror mount that's appears in the FJR because of old Yamaha DNA.

My CB is dead and I'm not running it anymore so no picture to take...and the one I have from the IBR is so oblique it wouldn't help.

I took a piece of .250" aluminum slightly narrower than the CB, drilled a hole for a bolt, eyeballed how an L slightly over a 90 degree would provide a nice backing for the CB, and then bent the thing in a vice with a long radius to reduce fatigue...pretty simple.

It was a Firestick, but for the purposes of somebody that doesn't know CBs.....like you or me....do yourself a favor and go to the CB shop and let them puzzle it out....and SWR it. I'd Stick to the mounting parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
-----delete-----

What i had originally posted was in too bad of a taste even for ME!

-----delete-----
What i had originally posted was in too bad of a taste even for ME!

Oh, man. We'd like to see that. :lol:

When I was using a handheld CB, I used the RAM B-120B mount. It's a clamp with a quick release that looks like this:

RAMB120B.JPG

It already has a RAM ball on the back, but you'll need an arm and a RAM ball on the bike. I had it attached to a RAM ball in the left hand mirror hole that Iggy mentioned above.

It's a little pricey -- the clamp alone goes for about 50 bucks at cyclegadgets.com. It worked great, though, and you don't have to fabricate anything. I no longer use it because my handheld didn't survive the weather either.

I've used a handheld CB for several years, think I'm on my second cobra third overall, last one cost me $25, all running into an autocom of the previous version. None of them have been weather/water proofed so attrition is to be expected.

I have a tanji cell with integrated antenna mount so that was covered. I use a 4' no ground plane firestik and it works well. The cb is mounted to the left handlebar with a homemade mount seen here.

The biggest problem you will have is reducing ignition and other noise, especially if bike powered, but it can be accomplished with patience and guidance. Although I put mine together myself take Ignacio's recommendation and seek the help of a pro.

dougc

Are you guys using a remote push to talk switch or are you just using the button on the handheld itself?

I am buying my autocom this week. :yahoo: cant wait to hook it up.

Are you guys using a remote push to talk switch or are you just using the button on the handheld itself? I am buying my autocom this week. :yahoo: cant wait to hook it up.
I use the autocom remote ptt, works very well in my application. Have not messed with vox as I tend to talk, sing, and make other noises to myself on very long rides. :blink:

dougc

Are you guys using a remote push to talk switch or are you just using the button on the handheld itself? I am buying my autocom this week. :yahoo: cant wait to hook it up.
I use the PTT. This is my 2nd setup following a Chatterbox. I found early on that VOX only leaves a lot to be desired.

Squeezer, Your RAM B-120B was strong enough to held your radio ?

I am afraid that I can lose my with that.
Held it like a rock, and I had a huge clunky Maxon that was much heavier than your Midland.

BUT -- that mount also works by applying pressure to the sides of the radio. Yours has controls there. I don't think it would work for you.

BUT -- that mount also works by applying pressure to the sides of the radio. Yours has controls there. I don't think it would work for you.
Damn, you have right, so I have to look for something other. I need this controls, thats why I want to mount it on the handlebar...

Patriot,

Iam using PTT switch connected to my midland,

I need him on the handlebar to swich channels and use squelch or volume control.

I have a Chatter Box hand held CB kit with stuff to mount on a bike. I put the CB in the tank bag. I velcroed the shorty antenna to the right rear view mirror, the kit comes with an external antennae connection. I velcroed the PTT to the left handlebar. The kit has cigarette lighter power connection.

Ron