**UTAH 1088** ....renojohn ride report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
Long anticipated, I did the Utah 1088. For me it was a chance to benchmark myself in the (new-to-me) arena of LD/Rally riding. This would be the place to do it as some very competent LD/Rally riders and a class event. This would be my first Rally and I had put a lot of thought/energy into it.

Wanting to dabble in this arena was a key factor in my decision to pick up an FJR about 10months ago now ......and I must say, the FJR is a splendid machine for such Rally work. Solid, and it can really gobble up the miles. Got a chance to test it's dirt worthiness on this rally, .....and I must say it did a very repsectable job ...not bad for a fat old gal.

Can't go on without a special thanks ... a few folks went waay out of their way to coach and mentor me the last many months. Matt (Ignacio) was very generous with his common sense thoughts, wisdom, ideas, and encouragement. The fact is that my real interest in the Utah 1088 came as result of reading (many many months ago) a ride-report that Matt did on the event. I pinged him ....not knowing that connection to "Ignacio" and this forum. Anyway, thanks Matt -all is much appreciated.

Not surprising, a lot of FJR's at this gig, and I met some great folks from this forum. Greg (skooterG)

--Greg, great to meet you in person. You're a real fun spirit and you share our wonderful passion for riding. Didn't say it then, but I really wanted to break your balls when I got a chance to meet you in person. When I first came on this forum you closed a thread of mine (I had called you guys more drama than a bunch of girls at a slumber party) .....then I couldn't log in for like 2 weeks. LOL ...but when i met you, your keen sense of fun and silliness and your passion for riding was so apparent. Feel free to close any of my threads ..anytime, I'd be honored.

Tel and his buddy were a couple more. I'm sorry that I didn't get to spend more time with then ....truly great guys and they gave me a goal of what hope to be someday (nice, considerate, polite ......etc etc).

BIODSL ....didn't get any time with him ...but his '03 FJR was funnly farkled for the LD/Rally tasks at hand and he put on an impressive ride and showing. I'm very sorry we didn't get the chance to talk.

Warchild ....Always puts a smile on my face with his grit and shit-eatin' grin. He had a tough go this year with mechanical issues, ..and an arm injury to boot. But his contributions and fun added to the mix nonethless. Sorry things went sideways for you dude, and best of luck with that arm.

For me a great time, and this is a fantastic event.

I put a silly ride report together ..still a bit rough around the edges but I hope a fun read.

Ride Report Here (clicky)

Cheers ..renojohn

"[SIZE=14pt]Didn't take long to find and assortment of BMW GS's laying on their sides, no smiles from their pilots and they seemed shocked to see me on the fat sport tourer navigating that heavy sand. Up ahead a Triumph Tiger and I approach and then pass …I think he was shocked to see the FJR take him on the dirt as well.[/SIZE] "

That's cool RJ.. dirt bikers are better street riders! Great read - enjoyed every bit of it..

Nice read John, as mentioned, dirt bikers rule and keep up the good work and reports. PM. <>< :D

"[SIZE=14pt]Didn't take long to find and assortment of BMW GS's laying on their sides, no smiles from their pilots and they seemed shocked to see me on the fat sport tourer navigating that heavy sand. Up ahead a Triumph Tiger and I approach and then pass …I think he was shocked to see the FJR take him on the dirt as well.[/SIZE] "
That's cool RJ.. dirt bikers are better street riders! Great read - enjoyed every bit of it..

Yeh I was one of those guys with his GS laying on his side, but I had a big smile on my face. And don't forget first and second place both on BMW GS'S, I know at least one of them went down once.

Yeh I was one of those guys with his GS laying on his side, but I had a big smile on my face. And don't forget first and second place both on BMW GS'S, I know at least one of them went down once.
LOL very good! Yep, I sure made note of 1st and 2nd being BMW GS's ....i've mentioned that to many. ...and it is in my report. .....when I elected to go to Kanab via Zion ....I figurd it wasn't a good move .....when I saw those Utah plates two GS's that were kicking butt head toward colorado city.. BTW, both those guys went down on that road -and they obviously kicked butt in the Rally.
Thanks for the fun .....and every bike (that I saw) on that road went down. I know some other FJR's that didn't (matt, greg), probably others that didn't. I know it was dicey and full of suprises!

Congratulations, sorry I missed your smile ...probably was scared and had my eyes closed.

Great report John! I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I read it. Many of your expectations and experiences mimicked the ones I had during my first rally (2005 Minnesota 1000). Just remember, what doesn't kill you only makes your stronger.

John, it was great to meet you in Utah. Hey you did really well, especially as this was your first rally. The 1088 is tough and the quality of the riders in Utah is about as high as you'll find in any 24hr rally. I DNF'd my first rally. Many congrats and way-to-go on that dirt road.

What I found interesting about your write-up was your feelings during and after that first leg - wow, have I been there and done that and had all of the exact same feelings. I hate to tell you but it'll almost definitely happen to you again in another rally.

I look forward to seeing you at another event - hopefully we'll meet at WFO in Park City.

Take care and congrats. :clapping:

tel

John,

Great report - WOW.

Love the part about asking God to hit you with a naked guy !!!!

Diane

Great Report Reno John!

Congrats to all the FJR's who schooled the other marquees on "up-rightness".

I KNOW that road was nasty if Jim Owen biff's 3 times on it. That boy can ride.

Congrats to all the 1088 players.

GZ

John, it was great to meet you in Utah. Hey you did really well, especially as this was your first rally. The 1088 is tough and the quality of the riders in Utah is about as high as you'll find in any 24hr rally. I DNF'd my first rally. Many congrats and way-to-go on that dirt road.
What I found interesting about your write-up was your feelings during and after that first leg - wow, have I been there and done that and had all of the exact same feelings. I hate to tell you but it'll almost definitely happen to you again in another rally.

I look forward to seeing you at another event - hopefully we'll meet at WFO in Park City.

Take care and congrats. :clapping:

tel
Tel, GREAT meeting you and thanks for the kind words. Yep, that Rally is pretty crazy stuff and I think I picked a good one to cut my teeth on. Yep, I hope we get more time in Park City to trade stories and silliness.cheers ...john

John,
Great report - WOW.

Love the part about asking God to hit you with a naked guy !!!!

Diane
Diana, what few know outside of the rally: -At checkpoint one a guy who was driving a freshly wrecked (as in roll-over) pulled up to the gas station, drunk as a skunk walked into the mini-mart ...WITH NO PANTS ...that, of course brought the police etc ...it was quite a scene. LOL LOL However, most of us paid little attention as we were too busy studying our rally packets to fully take in the event.

Great Report Reno John!
Thanks George, good fun and many lessons learned ....riding motorbikes is good fun!!!