Utility of heated seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russperry

Reaction score
Forgive me if I gave up too early on the search, but I was looking for some feedback on heated seats. I've decided I need a better seat before I do any more long rides (let's say >1000 miles), so I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Russell. They've got the heated seat option for $170 and it seems like it might be a good idea to go for it as long as I'm at it.

Before dropping the extra coin, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether its money well spent or not. I don't plan on doing lots of really cold weather riding (at least intentionally), but I could see that it might be really great to have if you get caught, assuming that it actually gives off some good heat.

So 2 questions:

1) In general does seat heating really work when you've got riding pants and maybe a few layers underneath? and

2) specifically, does the Russell version of seat heating work well?

thanks for any input.....

Living in California, I haven't seen any need to consider further loading up the already limited capacity of the stator with a butt warmer. The better investment for winter riding seems to me to be a heated jacket, which I have found useful.

While the Gen 2 is less watt challenged than a Gen 1...I'd still look at a heated seat as a waste of precious capacity and get a heated jacket first and foremost. A warm body core is more desirable, efficient, and inexpensive IMO than a warm tushy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being from the Great White North, I have still to find a reason to get a heated seat. Seat foam is a natural insulator against the cold, but if you got money to waste, fill your boots.

Well this may go against the grain so far but I will throw my 2 cents in.

1) I must have a ton of money to waist because I love my russell heated seat. Plenty of BTU's coming out of this baby. Sometimes I have to shut it off. I have ridden down to temp of 13 degrees on the way to work. Truth is my hands get the coldest. I wear two jackets during the colder weather and the upper body hasn't been an issue for me. I don't have a heated vest but if I did I would imagine I wouldn't need the second coat. Someday when I tons get tons of more money I will get one. ;) Since I was getting in on the group buy the 20 percent savings paid for most of the heated seat upgrade. That's my excuse anyway.

2) Since I have the superior GenII there is no need to worry about wattage. I haven't had any issues yet anyway.

3) If you got the funds go for it if not and money is a little tight then forget about it.

Very happy with my heated russell,

Dave

I've not found a need for a heated seat either. As much heat as these machines put off, and the amount of weather protection we have, my butt has never been cold.

With full riding gear, I have never felt the need for a heated seat, even when running the first morning tank out in the 30's. Everyone is different, but my arms and hands get cold, so a heated jacket liner, heated grips, and sometimes heated gloves work for me.

Having rode more than a few times in sub zero weather (celsius) here is my opinion:

Heated grips: must have

Heated vest: must have

Heated chaps: very cold conditions only (say colder than -5*C)

Heated seat: never have felt I needed it

I've not found a need for a heated seat either. As much heat as these machines put off, and the amount of weather protection we have, my butt has never been cold.
Does your handle have anything to do with your findings? Seems like someone named Aasland might be preoccupied :yahoo: Just kidding....

Seems like nearly universal consensus (with 1 dissenting score from the Russian judge)

Whether or not you feel cold is the issue, IMO. If a heated seat makes you FEEL warm enough (with no other heated items), I'd say yes, get it. But I think the very best heated element is for the handgrips. After that, vest, followed by jacket (thinking if your core is warm, you're fine, and that can be accomplished comparing a less bulky and less electricity-hungry vest to a jacket). I'd put a seat last on any such list, personally, especially since you probably won't be running with ALL of the above. Face it, have you ever heard someone say "boy, I rode today and was my ass ever cold." I haven't, but HAVE heard ". . . and were my hands freezing" or "and was it ever cold." But never "ass." I think that must mean something.

2) Since I have the superior GenII.......
post.jpg

There is another issue with the heated seat you should consider: How does it feel to you? I had a heated seat for four years. After the first couple of times using it, I simply stopped turning it on. I have spoken to others who had the same reaction - it is just uncomfortable to have that heat being generated under my butt. Understand please, I'm not saying this is a univeral problem. I think it is very personal butt issue that not everyone has.

My thought, before laying out the money, is to find someone locally with a heated seat. Seat and MC make really don't matter. Try to get an opportunity to sit on one for a half hour or so and see what it feels like to you. See if you can do it early in the morning, when it's cooler. If your of the "this heat doesn't feel good to my butt" persuasion, you'll know pretty quickly.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Having spent the week before last riding 2300 miles to Cape Breton Nova Scotia and back in the cold and rain the only this I was dying for was heated grips. Temps ranged from 40's to 60's but even with Vstrom hand guards and First Gear "waterproof" gloves my hands were the only thing that suffered. I can't imagine needing a heated seat.

[quote name='BkrK12' timestamp='1309907772' post='877093'

Try to get an opportunity to sit on one for a half hour or so and see what it feels like to you.

Agreeing fully, and good point. Our new car has individually operated seat heaters. I never use mine, the wife always does (ok, when it's cold). So who knows? For me, though, nah.

Russ

Get the heat pad built in the seat. Do not let them wire anything to it. That way you will only be paying for the heat pad and a few dollars more for their efforts. Do not let them talk you into an on/off or High/Low/Off switch. Have them drill through the seat pan and dangle the pigtail. You then need to get a HeatTroller with a remote panel mounted knob to make it work. There is a model HeatTroller designed for heated grips - get that one. This is the way I have my Bill Mayer saddle configured. At 10% on time with the HeatTroller it will pump out plenty of heat to take the chill off.

As you know I commute by your house almost daily at around 5:30 in the morning. I can't tell you how nice it feels to realize "Hey I forgot to turn it off last time, Gee that warmth feels nice." When it's 52 degrees out and you only have your light weight gear on for that half hour commute, it's worth it !

The neat thing about having it built in is it is a passive system - you don't have to put it on or take it off and stow it.

Trust me, it's a nice thing to have, and you can have it for a whole lot less than the $170 that RDL charges for a complete system.

If you have any questions, call me. You have my number.

smile.gif

Brodie

Russ

Get the heat pad built in the seat. Do not let them wire anything to it. That way you will only be paying for the heat pad and a few dollars more for their efforts. Do not let them talk you into an on/off or High/Low/Off switch. Have them drill through the seat pan and dangle the pigtail. You then need to get a HeatTroller with a remote panel mounted knob to make it work. There is a model HeatTroller designed for heated grips - get that one. This is the way I have my Bill Mayer saddle configured. At 10% on time with the HeatTroller it will pump out plenty of heat to take the chill off.

As you know I commute by your house almost daily at around 5:30 in the morning. I can't tell you how nice it feels to realize "Hey I forgot to turn it off last time, Gee that warmth feels nice." When it's 52 degrees out and you only have your light weight gear on for that half hour commute, it's worth it !

The neat thing about having it built in is it is a passive system - you don't have to put it on or take it off and stow it.

Trust me, it's a nice thing to have, and you can have it for a whole lot less than the $170 that RDL charges for a complete system.

If you have any questions, call me. You have my number.

smile.gif

Brodie
thanks as always Brodie for the advice. I'll definitely ask them what the cost would be for the more limited modification, then handle the electrical stuff when needed.

Russ

Are you scheduled for a ride in, or is it going to be a UPS deal?

If you need a loaner seat, I have a spare set ( front & rear ). Just let me know before next Monday when I head off on vacation.

Brodie

Thanks Brodie, I may take you up on the offer. This will be a sight-unseen deal, but I do have 2 other bikes in the garage so I'm probably good for commuting. If it turns out I end up going more than a few hundred miles I'll give you a ring.

I always pack my heated jacket liner with me just in case. The nice thing about it is that it goes from bike-to-bike by only moving a pigtail. Although I love my FJR and have no plans to sell it, the jacket has come with me on my last two bikes and hookup is simple. Just one more factor to consider. I've never ran a heated seat but I would imagine they are very effective. I do know my Gerbing jacket works incredibly well and I would not be with out it. Dito on Brodie's above comment regarding usage. If I start to get a little chilly, I turn it on. I even use it in the cool summer mornings under my vented jacket. My guess with a heated seat is you would use it more than expected. My heated jacket allows me to dress in lighter riding gear even on the coldest PNW weather and that is well worth it.