V-Stream on '06 Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hit the Road Jack

Reaction score
I finally had an opportunity to try out the new V-Stream windshield on my '06 FJR today.

In a nutshell, the V-Stream does for the FJR's cockpit aerodynamics what the Power Commander-III USB does for the throttle control and engine behavior. I'm very pleased with the improvement!

Installation was a perfect fit. When installing, it is important to just engage the threads of all seven screws prior to snugging them all down. Start with the center screw first, then alternately tighten left and right, lower, mid and top.

The V-Stream is substantially larger than the stock shield. Not bad, not too big, but different than the swoopy stock shield. To me, the look reminds me of the windshield on the older BMW R100RT, but in a contemporary way.

At the lowest position, wind hits me at my faceshield. Shoulders and torso are completely out of the wind! I'm 5'-11" (32" inseam). Raise the V-Stream an inch or so, and wind hits the top of my helmet. The back pressure is vastly reduced with the V-Stream. Could only notice a slight pressure on the back of my helmet when the shield was substantially raised. Big improvement over the stock!

With the shield all the way up, I have to look through the V-Stream, but the cockpit is totally calm. I will only raise the shield that high if riding in a torential downpore or a swarm of locusts!

Also noted that my helmet faceshield remained bug splatter free, where in the past I would have to clean it frequently.

I tried listening to my iPod, and was able to do so reasonable well with the iPod ear buds. Not great at highway speed, but with the original shield is was impossible, even at full volume. Also tried riding with no ear plugs and, although not totally quiet, was much more bearable than it was originally. I will likely continue to use earplugs when commuting to work, but not when just leisurely bombing about and exploring. I wear an Arai XD and an Arai Signet GT, which while comfortable, seem to me to be noisery than I remember other helmets being in the past.

I also must proclaim the merits of shopping with the folks at UMotors in Fargo, ND! $136 to my door as compared to the near $200 price Nat'l Cycle wanted.

All in all, I'm very pleased. Now that that's behind me, it's time to start thinking about the Bill Mayer saddle mod!

I finally had an opportunity to try out the new V-Stream windshield on my '06 FJR today.
In a nutshell, the V-Stream does for the FJR's cockpit aerodynamics what the Power Commander-III USB does for the throttle control and engine behavior. I'm very pleased with the improvement!

Installation was a perfect fit. When installing, it is important to just engage the threads of all seven screws prior to snugging them all down. Start with the center screw first, then alternately tighten left and right, lower, mid and top.

The V-Stream is substantially larger than the stock shield. Not bad, not too big, but different than the swoopy stock shield. To me, the look reminds me of the windshield on the older BMW R100RT, but in a contemporary way.

At the lowest position, wind hits me at my faceshield. Shoulders and torso are completely out of the wind! I'm 5'-11" (32" inseam). Raise the V-Stream an inch or so, and wind hits the top of my helmet. The back pressure is vastly reduced with the V-Stream. Could only notice a slight pressure on the back of my helmet when the shield was substantially raised. Big improvement over the stock!

With the shield all the way up, I have to look through the V-Stream, but the cockpit is totally calm. I will only raise the shield that high if riding in a torential downpore or a swarm of locusts!

Also noted that my helmet faceshield remained bug splatter free, where in the past I would have to clean it frequently.

I tried listening to my iPod, and was able to do so reasonable well with the iPod ear buds. Not great at highway speed, but with the original shield is was impossible, even at full volume. Also tried riding with no ear plugs and, although not totally quiet, was much more bearable than it was originally. I will likely continue to use earplugs when commuting to work, but not when just leisurely bombing about and exploring. I wear an Arai XD and an Arai Signet GT, which while comfortable, seem to me to be noisery than I remember other helmets being in the past.

I also must proclaim the merits of shopping with the folks at UMotors in Fargo, ND! $136 to my door as compared to the near $200 price Nat'l Cycle wanted.

All in all, I'm very pleased. Now that that's behind me, it's time to start thinking about the Bill Mayer saddle mod!
Hey HTRJ, thanks a ton for the great review. I've been trying to decide what aftermarket shield to get once my stock one is done (soon, very soon) and this helps me out. Thanks again.

Have you had a passenger on yet...better for them?

Cary

My passenger wife is out of town this weekend, so no report from the backseat as yet.

I'm sure that it will be better than before.

I will have to take her for a ride and get her opinion of the V-Stream mod.

Will report back here.

-HTR Jack

It sounds like the low position on the vstream is about the same as high on the stock screen-do you have the head buffeting in low position with the vstream like the stock screen has in full up raised position?

No head buffeting at all. Just a slight back pressure noticed on my helmet with the shield almost fully extended.

wwpics.gif

My passenger wife is out of town this weekend, so no report from the backseat as yet.
I'm sure that it will be better than before.

I will have to take her for a ride and get her opinion of the V-Stream mod.

Will report back here.

-HTR Jack
Any update?

cary