V Stream on the 05 FJR, First impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genady

Reaction score
Just installed the new V Stream windshield on my recently purchased '05 FJR and took a first ride this morning.

So far mixed impressions. With shield all the way down, better when stock shoulder protection, in fact almost no turbulence at all. I get some on the helmet, but pretty minor, still better when stock.

But for these occasions, when I would like to cut the wind all together, does not work so well.

Windshield all the way up and I am looking through it not over it, also have a huge negative pressure, sucking me to the front of the bike.

Is this sort of expected behavior?

Any ways to play around with it?

Thanks,

G.

Just installed the new V Stream windshield on my recently purchased '05 FJR and took a first ride this morning.So far mixed impressions. With shield all the way down, better when stock shoulder protection, in fact almost no turbulence at all. I get some on the helmet, but pretty minor, still better when stock.

But for these occasions, when I would like to cut the wind all together, does not work so well.

Windshield all the way up and I am looking through it not over it, also have a huge negative pressure, sucking me to the front of the bike.

Thanks,

G.
Yes, that is somewhat the expected results with such a big windshield. You can try mitigating it with some windshield spacers or a Rifle Tuning block, which will tilt the the shield back towards the rider some and allow some air to slip in under the windshield to reduce the back pressure.

Also, you did'nt mention some other important specifics like your height and weather or not you have risers or Heli-bars, and what kind of helmet.

Ok, here we go...

Some tech specs (mine), not the FJR's :p

5'10" 32" inseam. Heli risers. Arai QII helmet. Also some kind of after market seat, not sure if it is any different in height from stock, I bought it this way.

Ok, here we go...Some tech specs (mine), not the FJR's :p

5'10" 32" inseam. Heli risers. Arai QII helmet. Also some kind of after market seat, not sure if it is any different in height from stock, I bought it this way.
Oh ok nothing extreme that I can see. Windshields seem to be like oil they all do the same basic thing but some prefer one over another. I also have the V-stream, but mine is an 08 and I am short at 5'6". Personally I love it for 10 months out of the year It keeps me warmer when its cold and dryer when its raining. July and August are the only two months that I prefer the stock shield for the xtra air flow. As someone said above you can try tuning blocks or even the Laminar Lip that I've seen on other shields. Maybe some of the other members can chime in who's got the Cal Sci or Cee Baily and others.

Just installed the new V Stream windshield on my recently purchased '05 FJR and took a first ride this morning.So far mixed impressions. With shield all the way down, better when stock shoulder protection, in fact almost no turbulence at all. I get some on the helmet, but pretty minor, still better when stock.

Thanks,

G.
My Cal-Sci has a vent cut in it near the bottom just to help alleviate that problem. It must work, because I never have any back pressure no matter the screen position. So just cut a vent in yours and if it doesn't work, duck tape it over it. Jes kiddin! You might call or email V stream and ask what they recommend.

Genady - I'm about your size and have a 2005, and I don't experience those things. I agree there is a low pressure, I don't get sucked forward though. I think mine works great. I don't mind looking thru the windscreen, it's not a big deal to me (try it with a dark tint one at night ;) ). I also added the spacers it helped out even more. If you're looking for "perfection" I don't think that exists.

Look here. My Gen1 Windscreen tuning block post.

Good luck.

Genady - I'm about your size and have a 2005, and I don't experience those things. I agree there is a low pressure, I don't get sucked forward though. I think mine works great. I don't mind looking thru the windscreen, it's not a big deal to me (try it with a dark tint one at night ;) ). I also added the spacers it helped out even more. If you're looking for "perfection" I don't think that exists.

Good luck.
I am not talking about perfection man! I am literally sucked to the front of the bike, I have to work my neck pretty hard not to hit windshield with my helmet :)

One is not better than the other. But your issue with back pressure I suspect would be resolved with a Cal Sci due to the whole that is cut in the bottom of the screen.

Good luck.
I am not talking about perfection man! I am literally sucked to the front of the bike, I have to work my neck pretty hard not to hit windshield with my helmet :)
That is really odd. I ride with my Vstream in the full up position all the time and the air pressure is very neutral. I am 6' with 30" inseam with the seat in the low position. Do Gen I models have a vent below the instrument panel like the Gen II? If so, is it blocked somehow?

1st gen and 2nd gen windshields and aeros are quite different. Many folks experience a "back draft" even with the little stock shield when all the way up on a 1st gen.

Genady - I'm about your size and have a 2005, and I don't experience those things. I agree there is a low pressure, I don't get sucked forward though. I think mine works great. I don't mind looking thru the windscreen, it's not a big deal to me (try it with a dark tint one at night ;) ). I also added the spacers it helped out even more. If you're looking for "perfection" I don't think that exists.Look here. My Gen1 Windscreen tuning block post.

Good luck.
That is really odd. I ride with my Vstream in the full up position all the time and the air pressure is very neutral. I am 6' with 30" inseam with the seat in the low position. Do Gen I models have a vent below the instrument panel like the Gen II? If so, is it blocked somehow?
I agree, I don't get it. I am NOT pulled at all to the front and my helmet is no where near the windscreen. I know, maybe it's not literal, but....
I don't know what to tell you, mine worked fine and now even works better with the 3/8 inch spacers. Try it, you'll like it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

As mentioned in earlier posts, some guys (and CalSci) cut vents into the lower portion of the shield. If you're not into attacking plastic with a dremel tool right off the bat, I've got a spare Rifle tuning block you're welcome to try. It tilts the windshield so it's more aligned with the fairing of the bike. It wouldn't work with my old CeeBailey +4,+4 - basically put the upper edge of the windshield right in your face - but may work with a VStream. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk logistics.

As to 'windshield perfection', I'm closer than I've ever been with a Rifle jumbo for winter riding and the stock screen with tuning block in the summer.

Added Skyway's spacers, I got from other guy on the forum. Much better!

Still have some back pressure with Windshield fully up, but other when what works better!

I have tuning block in the mail too, will check if it gets even better.

I will check Rifle screen too...

When you put a barn door in the fully up position in front of you like some of these larger screens are, you're going to get some back pressure. Believe me, in the winter you'll love it, keeps you warmer. I put on my stocker on in the summer. I'm even trying to get a smaller windscreen too for mor eair flow.

Enjoy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: