V Stream Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiser

Reaction score
Just installed the V Stream windshield ,and was touring down the highway with the shield all the way up, thinking how great the shield is working, all the sudden a truck comes tearing past me and my windshield starts shaking at the top .I stayed behind the bastardo and the shield is still shaking soon as I backed off the shaking stops.Any body else getting this or have solved this issue?The windshield works great other wise.

Ps I know I should have never let the truck pass but hey I was enjoying the moment.

I bought one not too long ago from Texbahn here on the forum that was selling all his spare items he had left over when he sold his bike. The VStream seems to shake a lot more than the Cee Bailey that came on the bike when I bought it used a few months back (did not have the original screen). I checked to make sure that all platic screws were tight and they ar, but the whole screen seems to shake from somewhere inside where the arms mount down on the motor. I think I will try to go back to the Cee Bailey and see if it still does this.

Yep....Same issue with mine. It moves around and flexes quite a bit. Great protection, but lots of movement. I took mine off for the summer and put the stocker back on. The V Stream may go up for sale and I'll try the Cal Science when the weather cools back down.

I also have tried many windshields and found that the V-Stream works best for me. I too inspect my plastic mounting screws from time to time because of the shaking. During this inspection, I have found a few broken screws, mostly it's the lower ones that break. I now run a (1) metal screw in the lowest position on each side. Have not had any more problems and windshield has less shaking. It's a big windshield and the plastic screws just can't hold up to the increased surface area force.

Just installed the V Stream windshield ,and was touring down the highway with the shield all the way up, thinking how great the shield is working, all the sudden a truck comes tearing past me and my windshield starts shaking at the top .I stayed behind the bastardo and the shield is still shaking soon as I backed off the shaking stops.Any body else getting this or have solved this issue?The windshield works great other wise.
Ps I know I should have never let the truck pass but hey I was enjoying the moment.
I've only used stock and then the V-stream. My VS does flop around in the conditions you described. I don't notice it at any other time. For me the flopping is worth it. I just stay out of the big rigs' wash whenever possible. I never noticed any thing like this on the stock. But then again the stock was a noisy shield for me and the VS cleared that right up. I also take the VS up just enough to significantly cut back the wind noise. It is usually about 2"-3" lower than max height. This would make it 1"-2" higher than stock. I don't notice any floppiness ( a technical term ) in the lower 2/3 of the shield, just on the upper 1/3.

Nothing new.

Remember, with a V-Stream you're pushing a barn door thru the air, so a big-rig would have some effect on it.

I ride with my V-Stream at 1/3 to 3/4 up for optimum no buffeting. I have since installed my spacers or tuning blocks; although only on my stock shield, and it works GREAT!! In winter I'll use it on the V-Stream. I hear it works great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing new.
Remember, with a V-Stream you're pushing a barn door thru the air, so a big-rig would have some effect on it.

I ride with my V-Stream at 1/3 to 3/4 up for optimum no buffeting. I have since installed my spacers or tuning blocks; although only on my stock shield, and it works GREAT!! In winter I'll use it on he V-Stream. I hear it works great too.

i cant decide VStream or CeeBailey??????????

Nothing new.Remember, with a V-Stream you're pushing a barn door thru the air, so a big-rig would have some effect on it.

I ride with my V-Stream at 1/3 to 3/4 up for optimum no buffeting. I have since installed my spacers or tuning blocks; although only on my stock shield, and it works GREAT!! In winter I'll use it on he V-Stream. I hear it works great too.
i cant decide VStream or CeeBailey??????????
I also have a CeeBaily's +4, +2, it's dark tint, I don't like that for night/early morning dark riding, other wise it was OK. I like the V-Stream better as it is wider at the top and diverts air around you better. Look at them and compare. There are many opinions out there and I really do like the V-Stream as do others.
I really feel the biggest advantage for any windscreen is either tuning block spacers, or some have cut holes in the lower part of the windscreen (do a Google search). This really make s huge difference in buffeting.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Gen 1 bike the Cal Sci XL exhibits far better behiavor when dealing with truck blasts, wind gusts, etc. Noticeably quieter and less helmet buffeting than I experienced with the Cee Bailey's +4+2 (non-flip) that I was using. I attribute all this to better aerodynamics of the CalSci. Just Sayin..

Yep....Same issue with mine. It moves around and flexes quite a bit. Great protection, but lots of movement. I took mine off for the summer and put the stocker back on. The V Stream may go up for sale and I'll try the Cal Science when the weather cools back down.
I'll throw in a couple thoughts, though this is one we'll never resolve. Stock shield was noisy and gave no protection. Got a California Scientific Tall and it was great for noise, buffeting, and wind/rain protection. Wish I still had it. Unfortunately, it didn't hold up the day I flipped and rolled that first FJR. So back to stock on the second bike, and added a V-Stream a few months back. Got a very good deal on a barely-used one, or I'd have gone CalSci for sure. I recommend you read this if you're looking at changing shields. Mark at CalSci didn't just cut some plastic and put holes in the right places for an FJR; this is an aerodynamically designed and well thought out piece of work, and the link explains it. Beside which, SierraFJR and others around here, he's in West Sacramento and he's glad to let you mount it on your bike and take a ride. You'll be convinced. I swear I never heard my engine note at speed before or after I rode with the CalSci. And Bluesman's comment about the holes in the bottom of the screen are right. I wondered about those when I saw the CalSci, but the linked write up talks about those, and they work.

Re the VStream, it's off now for the summer--it blocks TOO much wind, but I never had a shaking problem with it on my '05, either. (And FWIW, with the CalSci, I never needed to switch back and forth; lowered, it allowed a just fine airflow, even here in the hottest days.)

SM _ I agree my V-Stream with no spacers is WAY too hot in the summer. I put on the stocker for4 summer. Johnny80's lives in heatland and has his on year round, he also has spacers and said it's fine. I don't know as I have not done this.

I like the V-Stream for winter as it keeps me warmer. Now as I have spacers, we'll see how that does this winter.

I took my vstream off for the summer and found that I will probably only put it back on for the few cold months because it is like pushing a barn door through the wind. Quite when up but helmet buffeting when caught in the wind, don't get that with the stocker.