V-Strom Hand Guards on an 07?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
So I'm looking at the FJRtech site concerning the hand guards and it shows the last update was in 05. What I've found is the guards are now $29.99 each which isn't really a problem, what is, is the additional parts needed to install them. the items listed show a lever bolt to mount the guards and they want $51.10 for two of them. :dribble: Who has mounted these on a Gen II and do I really need the hardware listed to complete the install on my 07? A little help please!

Yes you do, you also have to whittle on the plastic a bit but no big deal. Try googling Gary McCoy at Mondak Motors toll free # 866-433-6635 reg ph # 406-433-6635, https://www.mondakmotorsports.com/for parts or Desert Valley Powersports, 325 Merlot Drive, Prosser, Washington, USA, 98350 PHONE: (509) 786-2383 https://www.fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm

Here's a pic.

DSCN1553.jpg

So I'm looking at the FJRtech site concerning the hand guards and it shows the last update was in 05. What I've found is the guards are now $29.99 each which isn't really a problem, what is, is the additional parts needed to install them. the items listed show a lever bolt to mount the guards and they want $51.10 for two of them. :dribble: Who has mounted these on a Gen II and do I really need the hardware listed to complete the install on my 07? A little help please!
There is another option, I saw these mounted on a Feej at SFO 09, and they looked MUCH nicer on than the V-Strom guards, and sounds like they'd work out even cheaper and simpler to install. They have a few different styles to choose from on J&P Cycles website too, just do a search for "National Cycle Hand Deflectors"

These will definitely be the ones I'll look to mount if I ever manage to escape from damn Floriduh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, we try this chit again (my Internet crashed when I sent the last reply). You do not need anything other than the hand guards, however the hardware may help. I ordered everything by the numbers from FJRTech thru BikeBandit (I think it was them) and the stuff that came in wasn't even remotely usable for mounting the hand guards. I did spend a lot of time fitting the hand guards properly so the controls would clear and not hang. I wound up utilizing the existing pivot bolts to mount the inward side, and my TM's hold the outer side in place. I can take pictures if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, we try this chit again (my Internet crashed when I sent the last reply). You do not need anything other than the hand guards, however the hardware may help. I ordered everything by the numbers from FJRTech thru BikeBandit (I think it was them) and the stuff that came in wasn't even remotely usable for mounting the hand guards. I did spend a lot of time fitting the hand guards properly so the controls would clear and not hang. I wound up utilizing the existing pivot bolts to mount the inward side, and my TM's hold the outer side in place. I can take pictures if needed.
I did not have any trouble and used the stock hardware. I did however cut the ends off the guards so they don't wrap all the way around to the handlebar. That part was a pain when using my throttlemeister. Now the guards snap on and I put in the top screw to keep them on. I would get the hardware though unless Silent can post some pics how he set his up.

There is another option, I saw these mounted on a Feej at SFO 09, and they looked MUCH nicer on than the V-Strom guards, and sounds like they'd work out even cheaper and simpler to install. They have a few different styles to choose from on J&P Cycles website too, just do a search for "National Cycle Hand Deflectors"

These will definitely be the ones I'll look to mount if I ever manage to escape from damn Floriduh.

Ewww.

Here is what I recently did for easy removal, since it is unlikely I will need them in FL. I decide in Anchorage I wanted hand guards, but the cycle shops didn't have them in stock. A friend with a V strom just happened to have an extra new set, which I purchased from him. I carefully rounded out the ends of the guards where the bar end weights go. That does a really good job of holding the outside end if you do it correctly. I held the other end with a small black zip tie that can hardly be seen. They pull up to the back side of the brake and clutch assemblies on the handle bars well. It worked fine all the way back to the lower 48, with no looseness. When I hit warm weather, remove the bar end weights, snip-snip and they are off!! Not for everyone, but....

By request.

I removed the stock screw and reused it. I could have replaced it with one a little longer and used a washer, but I opted to just locktite the stock one instead. They are not mounted at the bottom.

DSC_4632.jpg

DSC_4633.jpg

I trimmed the end to 'snap' around the handle bar end.

DSC_4634.jpg

I've got around 20,000 miles with these on in all kinds of weather, and never had a single problem. They don't move around at all, and the bolt has never gotten loose. So it is possible to use the existing hardware and save $50.

What you telling me is Yes and Yes? I get it, I get it, Thanks for the quick responces. I'll order em, and have some time to install em before I really need them. I have Bar Ender helmet locks, so the end install will be easy to do.

I've got around 20,000 miles with these on in all kinds of weather, and never had a single problem. They don't move around at all, and the bolt has never gotten loose. So it is possible to use the existing hardware and save $50.

Will they fit the way you install them if I have the heated grip + throttlemeister ?