V-Strom hand-guards/Yamaha heated grips/Throttlemeister

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA1195

Reaction score
This subject may have been covered previously, but this still may be of help to some who plan on this setup

The combination of the V-Strom hand-guards, Factory heated grips, and Throttlemeister grip lock works very well with some minor hardware changes. Throttlemeister sent me longer 40mm bolts and 12 SS washers to fit the bolts. Six go inside each bar end to give additional clearance for the V-Strom forked end to fit. The left grip snugs up nice to the plastic V-Strom end that clips over the Throttlemeister inner bar adapter, without any grinding of the clip end as with stock bar end weights. The right Throttlemeister inside friction collar slips under the heated grip without rolling the grip back with the help of a small screwdriver on the inside to get it started, followed by a few taps in from a rubber hammer. Six washers over the attaching bolt give the right adjustable bar end just enough clearance for free twist-grip movement. The grip twists freely and locks up in less than 1/4 turn with the V-Strom outer forked end between the grip and bar end. Again, no internal grinding of the V-Strom guard was necessary. All the required V-Strom parts came from FJRGoodies as a kit.

Be sure to drive the bar adapters for the Throttlemeister all the way in with a rubber hammer. Just pushing them inside the hollow bar ends by hand pressure wouldn't fully seat them for me.

EDIT: While Throttlemeister just recommends pushing the inner bar adapters in until the clearance between their bar ends and bar/grip is correct, with the V-Strom guards fitted I found it easier to drive them in all the way and add an additional three washers to make the fit. That way, you can add or subtract washers instead of wrestling with the adapter to get a correct fit if there are any later changes.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator: