Various racks and Givi top cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
My Premier Cycle Accessories FJR Large Sport Touring Rack has cracked. Made of aluminum, it finally succumbed to overloading, the dirt road, and other abuse. For me, this rack would be so much better if made of plate steel and not soft aluminum. It simply didn't have a chance. Note that I'm not knocking the mfr for this product; I simply overused, overextended, and ultimately destroyed the product.

So, for phase two: I'm searching for a solidly built rack that can easily mount a Givi 52. Here's what my limited research reveals:

1. Stock Givi rack. Pro: it has handy dandy tubes that the pillion can clutch for dear life. Con: It's ugly.

2. Garulds rack: Pro: Top quality and finish. Con: Not sure if it will fit the Givi mounting plate. PM to Garuld on the way.

3. ?? I don't know..

So guyz n' galz, what rack are you running with Givi top cases? Long term experience shows the rack can handle overloading, stress from offroading, the occasional hit when backing out in the garage? I need a strong and sturdy well built rack to survive the punishment I'll be dealing it.

If you can, post a pix of your rack and top case?

Thanks -

Another option for ya Don, is to have the rack you have made in steel. If you contact PCA I bet they could work something out for ya. Worth a shot anyway since you seemed happy with it and all.

In an email from Duane the other day he said they were producing a new sport rack that would accept the V46/52 top case's. Should be on their web site within the week.

I've not seen a rack that I like any better than the Givi. Admittedly, it doesn't win beauty prizes, but it DOES hold the box well and provides lots of potential for tie down points ahead of the box itself.

-GSE-

I don't mind the Givi rack's looks, it's strong enough to support the case without cracking/breaking, it saves the factory luggage rack from wear so if/when I sell the bike I can put it back to showroom-condition stock, and last but not least it provides a quick and easy knock-out to mount the bike's half of Givi brake light kit with a factory fit and finish.

I guess that last part is really a function of the mounting plate, not the rack itself, so it's probably a moot point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I specifically purchased the Givi rack and used it to mount another brand topcase because of it's strength and rigidity and it's multi-point mounting design. It has provided an extremely solid mount and should address all of OP's needs, short of looks. The black finish is it's only detractor; it would look great if color-matched to the bike.

I just went through all the same thoughts two weeks ago, and after talking with folks that had used other mounts and didn't like them (for one reason or another) had switched to the Givi mount. At least it's black and not silver-gray anymore. My new gloss-black E52 and Givi mount delivers next Monday (thanks Duane!).

Duane at PCA also mentioned he has a new LED taillight setup coming for the Givi trunks. Should have the details in about a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Givi rack can be any damn color you want it to be. A sheet of sandpaper and rattle can of spray paint in the color of your choice and Bob's your Uncle...

Latest posts