Velcro mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
I have a pair of Rok straps that I have been carrying in my left bag on my 08, and now on my 14. The only problem was that sometimes when trying to close the bag, the straps would want to get caught in the bottom by the hinges. A solution dawned on me this morning as I pulled in the garage, and thought I would share.

A square of industrial strength Velcro applied to the indent inside the bag. Velcro makes those wrap straps for securing hoses, extension cords etc. No more falling out when opening the bag. I am sure I will think of other ways to use the velcro in the bags as well. How about you guys share any other ideas that you have come up with?

IMG_20150429_152344546_zpsmtn5ghw8.jpg

IMG_20150429_152401921_zpsprx7qm6v.jpg

Nice tip!

I also keep finding uses for the similar, but more robust, 'dual-lock'

Stuck a piece on the back of my cell phone, with a corresponding bit on a camera 'ram ball' mount sans threaded bolt. Now I can easily and securely attach the cell phone to the ram ball on my clutch lever bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Velcro is a product developed by the NASA agency. The applications are unlimited. I use it to secure Fast-Pass to my jacket, straps used to secure luggage on the passenger seat, and who knows what.

I just leave my Rok Straps looped around one of the struts under the rear seat and the tail rack (Garauld's) and clicked together, crossed over the seat. They're always ready to use. When I carry someone, at least for shorter rides, they're not noticeable to sit on.

I'm going to think about using velcro in a similar way for other applications, though. Handy stuff, good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased my top case used from another member and he had glued small pieces angle aluminium in the lid and used a piece of plexiglass to hold contents up in the lid when it's open, like a shelf. I replaced the plexiglass with velcro. Utilizing the normally wasted space and not having crap fall everywhere is really nice. I use it for the light stuff- raingear, half cover, etc. when traveling.

I did a 3 month sailing tour north of Nfld and over to Norway in the mid 90's. Used industrial velcro to keep keyboards attached to desks, pens, erasers, straps for books, chairs, monitors, sports gear, etc.

Never realized it's versatility. I still use some of those thoughts in the garage every day.

For the FJR, I use it to attach the autocom and fuseblock under the seat. I have a couple tabs inside the trunk to hold a tire gauge and when the trunk is open to hold a flashlight to shine on the contents in the trunk or point it backwards to help light behind me at a campsite.

Another piece holds my garage door opener to the lid of my tankbag.