Visiting Bill Mayer in Ojai to have a seat made

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
We both decided we would pay Bill Mayer a visit and have one of his world famous seats put on the bike. To get there by 7am we had to pack and hit the road by 4am to be safe. Here is the wife packing that morning making sure I don't forget anything. Notice the cat on the bed wondering what is going on.

She likes to pack the bike too? Pretty cool....

We just arrived and they told us to pull up took off the seats and started working.

Here is a shot of their location and what you see when you pull in. After we arrived we were greated with coffee, donuts and bagels with cream cheese. I'm getting the feeling the customer comes first.

After you have some coffee in you they have you fill out the paperwork making sure you get the seat the way you want it. Are you height challenged, are you fat. where does it hurt what is it you want... Ect...

Here are some of the employees that are working on the seats under Bill's supervision.

Here they are fitting me for the seat prior to my test ride up Highway 33 to see if there are any major issues or things that need to be worked on prior to them covering the seat in leather. I opted to go with heated seats for both front and rear so this will be done last.

Here is a shot of Rocky working my seat and giving it his personal attention. I was very impressed with him and his family as well as the work they have done so far.

I returned from my test ride on the seat only to come back to pizza and freshly cut watermelon. This is Rocky's wife Laura. She was a sweat heart and wanted to make sure everyone's needs were met. On a side note they take in stray dogs and nurse them back to health. While we were there, their dog Pety was having trouble breathing so Rocky rushed him off to the vet for tests.

Here is a shot of Rocky talking to another customer about his options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling I am not the first big guy's bike they have worked on. Here they are pulling the leather over the seat and putting the finishing touches on the seat. All of their leather is actually glued to the foam so it does not move around.

I know I am jumping out of order but I wanted you to see the new large Motofizz bag I just got for the rear seat. I was able to fix the Yamaha top case, the large Motofizz bag and my large ass on the seat. Rocky moved my seat back an inch or so to give me more room.

One of the nice things about taking my wife up to have a seat made was all of the great riding and places to stay. We decided to stay in Solvang last night. We woke up and were searved breakfast before we went looking for some back roads to ride. We wanted to go wine tasting but I did not think it was a good idea while riding a bike. Also the weather hit 100 degrees on the way home and it would have made a bad situation worse. The wife was very happy with the room.

We stopped on the way back to stretch our legs and thought we would test out the timer on our new camera.

These are the highest gas prices I have seen to date and thought I would share.

Overall, I am very happy with the whole experience of getting my seat done at Bill Mayer. I enjoyed the ride there. I enjoyed the staff and their hospitality. I really liked the seat and how much better it feels. I enjoyed the little mini vacation we were able to take and I enjoyed meeting new friends along the way.

Thanks for the great writeup and pics. Looks like a nice trip and even better results.

Ahhhhh.........the memories.

I *heart* my Bill Mayer saddle! It's a 2000+ mile saddle!

2006FJR, just curious in the one photo with the white foam on the bottom portion of your seat, is that the stock foam and they built on top of it or did they use totally new foams on the whole seat? Great looking seat and isn't it great to ride and not have to think about the seat that is causing you butt burn but to be able to focus on the ride? Take care, PM. <>< :yahoo:

T-Minus 17 hours...

:clapping:

I got my room booked in Ventura tonight for an early start to Ojai tomorrow!

:yahoo:

I noticed your picture of what looks like the Bill Williams River flowing into Lake Havasu. Am I right. Wait............look at at that gorgeus 2004 next to your auto-tranny. Wait again, that's my bike. I didn't sign a release. MY ATTORNEY will be contacting you shortly. Just Kiddin. Congrads on your seat and Motofizzy. Look forward to next weeks 2,300 mile ride with you. Can you carry an extra helmet for me.......please?

I noticed your picture of what looks like the Bill Williams River flowing into Lake Havasu. Am I right. Wait............look at at that gorgeus 2004 next to your auto-tranny. Wait again, that's my bike. I didn't sign a release. MY ATTORNEY will be contacting you shortly. Just Kiddin. Congrads on your seat and Motofizzy. Look forward to next weeks 2,300 mile ride with you. Can you carry an extra helmet for me.......please?
Yes, that is your bike and welcome buddy. I might have some extra room to carry some stuff if you need me too. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry: That is a pretty well kept 04 you have I loved the shot so much I wanted it as my avatar. :clapping: I am so ready to hit the road!

2006FJR, just curious in the one photo with the white foam on the bottom portion of your seat, is that the stock foam and they built on top of it or did they use totally new foams on the whole seat? Great looking seat and isn't it great to ride and not have to think about the seat that is causing you butt burn but to be able to focus on the ride? Take care, PM. <>< :yahoo:
To be honest I am not sure if that is the stock foam from my seat on the bottom or not. I did not see them cut away the foam from the seat pan so I think it is? The foam they added to the top is firm but very comfortable. I am excited about getting rid of the pain of riding. There are so many things I love about riding and only a few I hate. This just crossed out what I hated the most. Now, if I could only find a way to stay cool in the 100 degree plus heat. :coolsmiley03: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley02:

Every time I think about complaining about the high gas prices here in Florida, 3.79 or so, I will look at that picture of the gas prices out there in Cali. My build week starts tomorrow and I can't wait to get it back!!!!!!!! Nice pics.

Latest posts