VStream Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Lyday

Reaction score
I thought that I would give a report on the new National Cycle VStream windshield I just installed on my 07. After reading some of the other reports, I decided this shield to try first.

If anyone is looking for a replacement windshield, I want to second that this is a good choice. :yahoo:

I am 6'3'' or so with a 34 inch inseam.

In the lowest position, you get real clean air right to the face shield. This is great for the warm weather. On the original shield, it hit me in the neck and was deflecting all the bugs right into my neck. This was getting real painful this time of year.

In the highest position, dead silence. Very similar to the stock shield if you hunker down and put your head just off the handlebars. This is perfect for me. When I sit straight up, I can look over the shield or I can slouch and be completely behind the shield. I imagine this will work perfect for rain and cold weather but I have not ridden in the rain with it yet.

I have never ridden a bike that I get this complete silence from windnoise before. :clapping: I will not need earplugs on the up position. I have found the shield that works for me.

Just thought you all might be interested.

Larry

i just put the V-Stream on my '05 and it is very sweet!

i have run national cycles' products for more that 15 years on my 1980 XS1100...the plexifaring 3 was a huge shield and was discontinued, so i was forced to use their only other option for that year ride the plexifaring 2. both produts were great...4 point mounting system...easy on, easy off! having experienced the the quality of the national cycle products, it was a no-brainer to try the V-Stream..

i do have a small concern, with the V-Stream being so big and heavy, that, it may at some point fatigue the mounting assembly...it moves quite abit compared the the smaller lighter stocker shield.

later all!

Glad hear you're having the same success I am. I of course started with the stock shield then tried the Cal Sci which was better but way too noisy for my Baehr comm system. Since I got the Vstream I've had to turn down the volume on my ipod because the shield is so quiet.

I've got about 1500-2000 miles on it now in all kinds of weather. We get our share of the wet stuff here in WA. I've got no complaints and I'm pretty impressed with the build quality and thickness of the shield too. The surface doesn't seem to be as fragile when cleaning as the Cal Sci one either.

Anyway, just my $.02 :lol:

Although I agree and say the vstream i got for my 06 was worth the price...naitional cycles business practices stink. No one should be able to do what they do and stay in business. It is very strange being able to hear distinct engine noise. Normally the wind drowns it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I agree and say the vstream i got for my 06 was worth the price...naitional cycles business practices stink. No one should be able to do what they do and stay in business. It is very strange being able to hear distinct engine noise. Normally the wind drowns it out.
whats wrong with thier buisness practice? :huh:

I thought that I would give a report on the new National Cycle VStream windshield I just installed on my 07. After reading some of the other reports, I decided this shield to try first.
If anyone is looking for a replacement windshield, I want to second that this is a good choice. :yahoo:

In the lowest position, you get real clean air right to the face shield. This is great for the warm weather. On the original shield, it hit me in the neck and was deflecting all the bugs right into my neck. This was getting real painful this time of year.

In the highest position, dead silence. Very similar to the stock shield if you hunker down and put your head just off the handlebars. This is perfect for me. When I sit straight up, I can look over the shield or I can slouch and be completely behind the shield. I imagine this will work perfect for rain and cold weather but I have not ridden in the rain with it yet.

I have never ridden a bike that I get this complete silence from windnoise before. :clapping: I will not need earplugs on the up position. I have found the shield that works for me.

Larry
Larry, I'm curious to know if you have your seat located in the lower or upper setting?

Thanks!

I'd like to chime-in on the VStream for my 06 also. Just got back this evening from a 2700 mile, 5-day trip CO>UT>northern AZ>southern UT>CO and could not be more pleased with a windshield. As I indicated in an earlier post, when it is up it looks big, but for the rider (unknown about passenger as I ride solo) it is great. This ride confirmed my earlier thoughts. With the VStream all the way down I get pretty good airflow from the chest up. I did most of the riding with it in the 3/4 way up position, which provided me with calm air on the chest and head, but still allowed me to look over the windshield (I am 6' 2", 32 inseam). I am also still glad that I retained the self-park/lowering as it seems to me to be best that this windshield is in the down position when I stop (just up too high if it did not do this).

One thing that I did notice is that when I passed semis on the interstate the bigger windshield does get affected more by the turbulence, but I generally get around them really fast anyway, so no problem for me there. Just wanted to point out the fact of the turbulence, however. I can't imagine running any other windshield on my FJR now that I've had the VStream.

I'd like to chime-in on the VStream for my 06 also. Just got back this evening from a 2700 mile, 5-day trip CO>UT>northern AZ>southern UT>CO and could not be more pleased with a windshield. As I indicated in an earlier post, when it is up it looks big, but for the rider (unknown about passenger as I ride solo) it is great. This ride confirmed my earlier thoughts. With the VStream all the way down I get pretty good airflow from the chest up. I did most of the riding with it in the 3/4 way up position, which provided me with calm air on the chest and head, but still allowed me to look over the windshield (I am 6' 2", 32 inseam). I am also still glad that I retained the self-park/lowering as it seems to me to be best that this windshield is in the down position when I stop (just up too high if it did not do this).
One thing that I did notice is that when I passed semis on the interstate the bigger windshield does get affected more by the turbulence, but I generally get around them really fast anyway, so no problem for me there. Just wanted to point out the fact of the turbulence, however. I can't imagine running any other windshield on my FJR now that I've had the VStream.
I need to +1 this. I've been running mine for two weeks now. I'm only 5'6, but i dont look through the shield untill its about 1/2 up. in the fully down position, i get good air and the windstream hits me about forehead high. I'm not much of one to spend time looking through a shield , but i really enjoy cranking this thing way up on the highway and and not catch all that noise. Rider fatigue decreases ten fold. Buffeting decreases 10 fold. it definitly looks funny all the way up, but its well worth the trade off. My vote for best FJR windscreen is this V-Stream!!

Greygoose

To all you guys who love the V-Stream....get Skyway's spacers and you'll love it even more. It's good the way it is. The spacers make it great.

To all you guys who love the V-Stream....get Skyway's spacers and you'll love it even more. It's good the way it is. The spacers make it great.
skyway's spacers :huh:

please splane

Edit: never mind..............found thread............ordered spacers

Last edited by a moderator:
whats wrong with thier buisness practice? :huh:
Nothing...other than promising the vstream every two weeks for over a year. Almost became a joke.

Larry

Larry,

What speeds have you ridden at and experienced the "dead silence"?

I'm same height / inseam and currently have a Cal Si (extra tall) which works fine up to about 75mph. But at that point I still get noise / buffeting and back pressure slowly building as the speed goes up.

Makes it hard to cruise at 80 - 90 on the back roads with a lot of comfort.

Weekender.

Bought Orangevale's Vstream shield. Put it on yesterday evening (took off my CB +4+3 w/o flip). I noticed an immediate improvement over my CB, if Ian's spacers help even more........then I'll definitely have a keeper shield. I am 6' w/32" inseam and have a stock seat on my 04. While it's not the Holy Grail I did notice a decrease in wind noise, a decrease in buffeting and a decrease in back pressure. Now granted I make this assessment w/only a 20+ mile commute into work this morning and I am going to need more time for a full evaluation......however early impressions are very promising. I did get up to speed about 75 mph for a short time, but long enough to play w/the adjustment........and I liked what I sensed.

I have a question for you guys (and gals) with the larger screens. In the summer, do you get a breeze to cool you off at all, or is it like sitting at a red light while going 80mph?

Bought a VStream and installed it Fri. rode Sat. and Sunday with lots of wind and the

shield worked great.

Thanks to all for the facts and opinions.

Chuck