VStrom handguards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster

Reaction score
Looking to put the VStrom handguards on the FJR (when it arrives...). Anyone got a how-to link or could share where to get 'em, how to get 'em on etc... would appreciate it.

FJRTech, of course it's for the earlier year models... not sure what differences you might encounter with an '06...

If anything, they are even easier to install on the 06. The ONLY cutting/trimming required is to dremel the ends for the bar end weights. BTW, I will not be putting heated grips on my 06. I found that with the hand guards I never used the heated grips on the 05 even down to temps into the high 30's-low 40's.....the hand guards were one of the best farkles I ever added to the bike.

Ghost

+1 on the handguard install. But I thought heated grips were standard on the '06 now. I may be mistaken, would'nt be the first time.

The only negative of the handguards is how much of them you see in the mirrors. Don't know about this on the '06. When I did the handguard farkle, I kinda messed up. I ordered the kit for the 650 vstrom. But it actually worked quite well. I think I had less modification than others had posted.

+1 on the handguard install. But I thought heated grips were standard on the '06 now. I may be mistaken, would'nt be the first time.
Won't be the last either, I'm sure. Do try and keep up though, eh? :p

Heated grips are only standard on the AE FJR.

For purchasing the V-Strom handguard kit, call FJRGoodies. They sell the whole kit for cheaper than you would be able to get it, and saves you the hassle of tracking down all the needed parts.

FJRGoodies.com

It's not my fault, Skoot. I was distracted by all the beotch-slapping in the "2006 Charging output.." thread.

Looking to put the VStrom handguards on the FJR (when it arrives...). Anyone got a how-to link or could share where to get 'em, how to get 'em on etc... would appreciate it.

By any chance did you install the handguards on your AE?

I'm looking into them as well but I want to make sure the "kit" available will work with the lefthand grip...

07_fjr1300a_silver_8a_e0148682.jpg

... i.e. does it fit around the finger-shifter mechanism.

Thanks.

Actually -- -never bothered -- the dead air space created on the grips by the new designed mirrors coupled with the heated grips -- I decided I don't need them.

By any chance did you install the handguards on your AE?

I'm looking into them as well but I want to make sure the "kit" available will work with the lefthand grip...

07_fjr1300a_silver_8a_e0148682.jpg

... i.e. does it fit around the finger-shifter mechanism.

Thanks.
It's not going to without some substantial modification and thought. The key to the handguards is using the pivot bolt in the clutch lever. No such thing as your picture clearly demonstrates. Only thing that comes to mind would be some creative use of JB weld.

hmmm, not necessarily what I wanted to hear...
I could instead tell you how easy it was, how pretty you are, how much I love you, and that we should go all the way if you prefer? :rolleyes:

We haven't had somebody try the handguards on an AE that I'm aware of. It would be a good project and could get Farkle of the Year if one were so inclined to try.