Want To See Installed Givi Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
My wife would like to sit farther back than the OEM trunk allows. I'm looking into several possible alternatives, one of them being a Givi trunk. I would simply like to see where the trunk is in relation to the back edge of the seat. We have a Russell seat so the back edge of the seat may not be in the same location as the stock seat. Anyway, I would just like a quick peek at the trunk/seat relationship.

I would also be interested in seeing a garauld rack/backrest combo too, though I understand that garauld is taking a break from fabricating racks.

I've seen the writeup about reworking the Givi rack to allow the trunk to be moved back a small amount. This doesn't seem to be a reasonable prospect with OEM mounting plate. There is also a plate available that relocates the Givi trunk.

My avatar shows a Corbin backrest with a home made bracket that worked very well; I may go back to that setup with something like a Marsee or Nelson Rigg tail bag.

We have an extended trip planned for Sept, so I'm looking into the options.

I can describe it on mine, an '03, but it's too far to go :D : Have a look at the body piece behind the seat, specifically that top curved edge that the seat fits against. Find the highest point of that curve, at the centerline of the bike. My E52 extends 1.5 inches ahead of that point, and that furthest extension is about 6 inches above the seat. I have the Givi rack, not the OEM with an adapter plate. A drill could get you another good portion of an inch, but probably not an entire inch, if you put new holes in the plate on the rack.

Another measurement: 35-1/2 inches from the front of the case to the rubber ring around the gas cap. That probably makes the best comparison of top case space, using a point that doesn't change on the bike.

If I were to do it over I would not get the backrest for the case. It protrudes forward another inch or so, but with the pack pad in her jacket, the backrest pad on the case isn't necessary at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ion I have the E52 on the Premier plate. If I can get it out of the FJR hospital by next weekend I can beat feet & meet you halfway somewhere on Sunday. By then i'll be itching to get back on the bike & do some miles.

Here is a side shot of the bike with it on

lift-103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say that MartyA[/i]s case looks to be a bit further back than mine, but not by much. OTOH, if you're the one sitting in that space, "not by much" may be the difference between all-day comfortable and can't even get in there.

I prefer the Givi rack and grab handle assembly, though, which replaces the Yamaha rack and grab handle piece, simply because the Givi piece is steel where the OEM is plastic. It attaches in the same bolt holes, braces the rear subframe with the grab rails the same as the OEM piece, but steel has gotta be better for carrying stuff than plastic. in my small ignorant mind, anyay.

Alan,

I have a Givi V46 on the standard Givi mount. C'mon down with your Russell seats for a test sit. As you know the Givi box can be move aft rather easily with an adapter plate fabricated to using the Givi rack and holes.

Russ

Thanks for all the replies! I should have mentioned that I didn't install the trunk pad, Helen's back protector takes its place.

Walter: I just took my high precision Stanley tape measure to my OEM trunk and was surprised to find 36 inches, trunk to gas cap.

MartyA: Thanks for the picture, your trunk clearly sits 2-3 inches back from where our trunk sits. Sitting that far back it looks like Givi SR346 mounting rack would be mandatory to prevent sub-frame cracking. How is your trunk mounted?

b-GIVIrack.jpg

ctfjr: FJR hospital? :fie: That doesn't sound good! Hopefully it is getting enfarkled. Thanks for the offer to meet and see, but this coming weekend is projected to include rain. In the mean time I will try to meet with FJReady who lives nearby and take a gander at his Givi. If the Givi looks like something we would like to try then maybe we can meet someplace and take a look at your Premier Cycles relocation plate. We have wanted to go do another photo shoot at Old Sturbridge Village, perhaps this would provide a meeting location.

Old Sturbridge Village

WorkTeam.jpg

FJReady: We were in your backyard yesterday. Some time at your convenience we may come down and take a look at your trunk. LMK what would work for you.

Thanks for all the replies! I should have mentioned that I didn't install the trunk pad, Helen's back protector takes its place.
MartyA: Thanks for the picture, your trunk clearly sits 2-3 inches back from where our trunk sits. Sitting that far back it looks like Givi SR346 mounting rack would be mandatory to prevent sub-frame cracking. How is your trunk mounted?
You are correct, I had the SR357 plastic plate on top of the Premier top box rack when those photos were taken in 2008, and I don't see it listed any more on the Premier site. It had about 2" of adjustment, and I put it all the way back. I have since updated to the rack I mentioned above, with the little Givi lock and bosses kit that bolt directly to the rack. It does bring the E52 a bit closer but that was fine with Sally since she was 2"+ from it anyway and still has plenty of room. She still doesn't use the backrest much, she likes looking over my shoulders.

I see Premier has a newer SR357. The old version I mention above bolted to their top box rack, and had 2 or 3 holes for that fore-aft adjustment. The top box rack bolts to the 3 bolts right behind the seat.