Wanting to buy handle bar ends.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Prior

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my stock bar ends with some aftermarket chrome bar ends. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look for them? Thanks in advance.

Chris

I have the throttlemeisters and love them. They look good and are nice to have to give your hand a break on long trips.

If you buy a used throttlemeister, make sure it comes with the tool to extract the stock bar inserts. The 4 hours I spent digging those things out manually wasn't worth the price difference from buying used.

If you buy a used throttlemeister, make sure it comes with the tool to extract the stock bar inserts. The 4 hours I spent digging those things out manually wasn't worth the price difference from buying used.

the tool is supposed to be part of the kit.

Yep, hence the use of the word used.

The seller I got mine from was not the original owner of the bike, and didn't get the tool when he bought it.

The seller I got mine from was not the original owner of the bike, and didn't get the tool when he bought it.

By finding the right sized pipe and washer you might be able to make your own extraction tool

By finding the right sized pipe and washer you might be able to make your own extraction tool
believe me, I tried. The outer diameter of the bar at the end is .875, (7/8"), but it's pretty thin material and using a cutoff section of bicycle handlebar of the same outer dimension didn't work because the inner diameter of the bicycle bar was smaller than the slugs installed by Yamaha. All it did was pull the center section and the rubber, the outer section was pretty happy where it was.

I also tried to tug it out with a slide hammer, after soaking with PB blaster, no movement whatsoever.

SO, after $16 for a slide hammer and a handful of misc hardware from Lowes (trying to make my own rig to extract it by pulling the inner section) I ended up having to use a hacksaw to cut the things out.

After I bought the TM and found out I needed the tool, I emailed their customer service, explaining my dilemna. About 3 days later I got a response, saying they did sell the tool separately, but no useful info beyond that, like price, part number, etc. I replied, asking what I needed to do to order one (it isn't listed on their website), and never got a response.

The funny thing in all of this is that I had to do pretty much the exact same butcher job on my 750 Seca, 27 years ago, so I could install bar-end mirrors.

believe me, I tried. The outer diameter of the bar at the end is .875, (7/8"), but it's pretty thin material and using a cutoff section of bicycle handlebar of the same outer dimension didn't work because the inner diameter of the bicycle bar was smaller than the slugs installed by Yamaha. All it did was pull the center section and the rubber, the outer section was pretty happy where it was.

I also tried to tug it out with a slide hammer, after soaking with PB blaster, no movement whatsoever.

SO, after $16 for a slide hammer and a handful of misc hardware from Lowes (trying to make my own rig to extract it by pulling the inner section) I ended up having to use a hacksaw to cut the things out.

After I bought the TM and found out I needed the tool, I emailed their customer service, explaining my dilemna. About 3 days later I got a response, saying they did sell the tool separately, but no useful info beyond that, like price, part number, etc. I replied, asking what I needed to do to order one (it isn't listed on their website), and never got a response.

The funny thing in all of this is that I had to do pretty much the exact same butcher job on my 750 Seca, 27 years ago, so I could install bar-end mirrors.

Hmmmm the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over with the same results. Just Joken. I am pretty tight with the shop and parts guys at my local dealer and probably could have used one of their tools if I did not have it.

Chris - They aren't chorme but the Manic Salamander's are a full 16oz's each (heaviest bar ends I know if) of stainless steel, and look pretty trick too.

This is the throttle lock version.

Uwt019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: