Warm n Safe / First Gear Heated gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
Found a good price on some ladies jacket liners and wanted to get some opinions from my breathren here about the quality and functionality of this brand before springing on a 'gift' for the much better half.

Thanks!

I don't have their gear, but I do have their Heat-Troller, and it's wonderful.

I've got the warm n safe jacket liner and the firstgear heated gloves (made by warm n safe). The jacket liner is really good but you need to make sure you get a size that fits kinda snug. If too loose, not as warm. I've got a single controller for jacket and gloves. The gloves don't seem to be as warm as I'd like (have grip heaters too) so maybe would be better if had a dual controller--consider that if you purchase.

doctorj

I had a Warm'n'Safe liner /w heat troller installed on my '04. Also had a heat-troller for my heated grips. Fit was snug, but worked flawlessly. I used mine with my J/R Phoenix mesh /w it's rain liner. Great combo for wide range of temps. No issues with it right up til the point of having EMT's cut it off.

-wr

Roughly 18 months ago, I visited a dealer in the NC mountains that carried several different brands of heated gear. Their liners seemed fine. The WarmNsafe gloves had a huge ball of electrical connection across the back of the hand. It was very uncomfortable. Things may have changed since then.

Wife and I both have Warm n Safe full jacket liners and no problems. The fit needs to be snug for it to warm properly, but that is the case for any heated jacket. We also have the heat trollers and they work flawlessly. I received a heat troller that was defective but they replaced it immediately as it was an obvious quality control issue (potting compund had gotten inside the female connector rendering it useless).

Good stuff.

I third the comment about the liner needing to be snug as it really needs to be near the skin to get the full effect. I've got the 65Watt (I think) First Gear Liner and Gloves. You can laugh at the bitter cold (I've ridden down to about 25 degrees). When I turn the heated grips and heated seat on, I can look tough as nails all the while maintaining the comfort level my actual soft suburban a** is accustomed to.

Get the 90 watt jacket liner and a heat troller, it will heat up quicker. The 65 watt liner is intended for smaller bikes with much smaller alternator output. If you get the gloves, go with the dual heat troller - the gloves need their own temperature controller.

Don't worry about the extra wattage (90 watt vs 65 watt), the heat troller will only use enough power to warm the liner. It works using a 1 second cycle time and percentage on time. For example... 20 percent on time per second = 80 percent off time per second. That's .8 seconds per cycle it uses zero power. It's very friendly to your charging system.

Hope this helps.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the heated gloves but have never connected the juice to them. They can be pulled off when on so prob. not the best in a crash but they are so comfy I use them anyway.

I find long johns, pants, overpants, wool soxs, thermal head cover, Killimanjaro Jacket, full face helmet, thick and tall waterproof boots, full deployment of giant wind screen and as much deflection of the engine heat to my body as possible good enough for riding here all year too bad it takes me half an hour to put all that crap on lucky I have an hour commute.

Last edited by a moderator: