Warm n Safe heat trollers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Was reading another thread by 200FJR about the battery in his wireless going dead on a cold ride. Several others said they have the wireless but carry a wired unit as backup?

Hmmm.

For those of you with remotes, is it *that* much better than the tedium of a wired unit?

For you wired only riders, is it a hassle?

I'm about to purchase Warm n Safe, top to bottom, already have a like new wired controller, whch is why I'm asking.

TIA

Padron de El Hondarosa,

I'm wired. Never a hassle or problem. Keep in mind that if there's a battery involved, (wireless) it will fail. That is a fact. Although being El Presidente of the CBA, you're never farther than 40 miles from home, right?

I get off the bike, unplug one barrel connector, get on the bike, plug it in. In and Out. Easy Peazy.

And again - batteries fail. Usually when you're using them.

If you're wired, you will have to plug in both ends unless your controller is mounted on the bike somewhere more permanent, or you install a permanent one. I tried leaving them on a tank bag, but still inconvenient at gas stops. It was just more convenient to go with the wireless and I don't regret it. A CR2032 battery isn't hard to find, or carry a spare. But, it's personal choice, what's more convenient for your setup. I like that I only have to plug in one wire and can mount the remote anywhere.

A suggestion...

My liner is dual-wired. IOW, my gloves are separate from the jacket liner so I can control the heat separately. When worn under my rain Cycleport rain liner, the heated liner is quite warm without being turned on though my hands get cold.

You may want to have your pnts and jackets controlled sparately. On the FJR, my legs never get "that" cold. A pair of jeans under the rain liner and I'm warm enoug, even when the temps are in the 30s. My toes may get cold (I have foot-shields on the bike) but not my legs.

You will want to consider getting a dual-control heat troller.

For the record, mine is hardwired like Hals. I have the control unit under my seat so the plug wires come between the seat and tank. That way, should I forget to unplug, they easily separate when I get off the bike. It's sometimes a chore to plug in, but the system works great for me.

Padron de El Hondarosa,

I'm wired. Never a hassle or problem. Keep in mind that if there's a battery involved, (wireless) it will fail. That is a fact. Although being El Presidente of the CBA, you're never farther than 40 miles from home, right?

I get off the bike, unplug one barrel connector, get on the bike, plug it in. In and Out. Easy Peazy.

+1

I also have heat troller permanently wired in the bike, with one plug for the gear. It is more involved installing it initially, but well worth it. I get on the bike and plug in my liner, easy.

I don't have to carry any controller, or have a spare. All I need is my liner, less to carry or forget.

Of course if I had 2 bikes, there might be a reason to have it all in a tank bag, so it could go bike to bike. Although ideally I would have both bikes wired with there own trollers.

I have pants and jacket with liners, so I usually just run with the heat(vest) on low. I've turned it up on really early starts with snow on the ground or to run over a summit but don't fuss with it much so I don't see where I'd "need" a remote.

The biggest issue is that when you have heat, you don't have to bundle up so much! If the heat fails, you now freeze your nuts off trying to get to a good/safe place to stop and bundle back up! Ask me how I know, with 80 mph gusts and hella rain! So, reliability is more of an issue with me now, as I travel this learning curve!

I have the Tourmaster Vest because it was cheap (you don't have to buy the controller separate). It's wired direct, the plug comes out at the edge of the seat, and yes if I forget to unplug I just separate as I get off the bike.

I don't like that the controller is a huge device that straps to the left leg. If your on and off a lot it can be a bugger. And looks awful!

They've had problems with controller quality, including my first one, but they replaced mine with two of the new versions and I've had no more problems. Love the heat, never go back!

That being said, as soon as I can Squirrel away the cash, I'm going to try the Warm & Safe conversion. The "Tourmiser". This should give me both options. The ability to control from a smaller unit, or remote.

Hope you find nirvana!

Padron de El Hondarosa,

Good points KD. My problem is it's 18F at the house! I'm more about reliability.. This gear will be going to AK, so it needs be operational in adverse, wet, dark conditions.

A suggestion...

My liner is dual-wired. IOW, my gloves are separate from the jacket liner so I can control the heat separately. When worn under my rain Cycleport rain liner, the heated liner is quite warm without being turned on though my hands get cold.

You may want to have your pnts and jackets controlled sparately. On the FJR, my legs never get "that" cold. A pair of jeans under the rain liner and I'm warm enoug, even when the temps are in the 30s. My toes may get cold (I have foot-shields on the bike) but not my legs.

You will want to consider getting a dual-control heat troller.

For the record, mine is hardwired like Hals. I have the control unit under my seat so the plug wires come between the seat and tank. That way, should I forget to unplug, they easily separate when I get off the bike. It's sometimes a chore to plug in, but the system works great for me.
Tx Mike. I have a dual-control troller already. I like your idea about gloves separate from vest/pants.
Hmmm.

Can one controller channel handle the load of pants and jacket?

What would be the easiest way to swap the setup between Wabs n KrZy8?

Lots to think about..

Tx Mike. I have a dual-control troller already. I like your idea about gloves separate from vest/pants.
Hmmm.

Can one controller channel handle the load of pants and jacket?

What would be the easiest way to swap the setup between Wabs n KrZy8?

Lots to think about..

Yes, on the dual control setup one controller will handle pants and jacket and the other for gloves.

IMHO, the glove and jacket are never at the same settings. If they were, hands would be way too hot.

Must have dual contoller for best comfort.

I often ride in winter without a tankbag, where I used to keep the controller but I was'nt happy with three plugins.

Now I keep the controller hooked on my jacket.

I simply gathered up the whips/plugs and found a spot inside the jacket (lots of zippered pockets) where

they are left plugged into the controller. The controller hangs about six inches out from the WnS left pocket.

I made a 'sleeve' on the outside of my riding jacket and that's where it lives, easy to get to.

This way I have only one plug to deal with instead of three.

Whip pulls out from under the seat.

Plug in the controller and go.

You obviously can get another whip for another bike.

Now you have heated gear that goes with you, no matter what you're riding.

Wireless, that way you only have to plug in one cable when you exit/enter the bike. Keep an extra battery with you.

If the battery does go dead then the unit will default to 1/3 heat.

If you have a powerlet on each bike you can move the controller from one bike to the other easily. I might even have Wayne make a pocket on my jacket sleeve.

The wireless is very similar to McRide's setup except everything stays inside the W&S left pocket. Later versions of the jacket liner have a grommet to pass the wires through the bottom of the pocket to the glove & auxiliary plugs on the lower inside pocket. The remote control has no wires and you can place it anywhere. Sleeve on the jacket is good, and it's always with you, or velcro/dual-lok it somewhere on your bike. Mine is on the dash shelf now.

Jacket and pants/insoles or socks can go on one controller, definitely have gloves separate as you'll want those dialed up higher.

Perm mount wired. No problems. Dual-Troller: One for the jacket liner and socks, the other for the gloves. Works like a champ. I only have two connections to make when getting on or off the bike. Two connectors, easy nuff to do in near total darkness, when it's frezzing ass cold and windy. Oh, and snowing.

I love the idea of the wireless unit and I have it velcro'd on the right side where it is easy to get too. You an easily carry an extra battery but do not forget you will also need a very small Phillips screwdriver too. I keep a small glasses repair kit and those very small Phillips screwdrivers work perfectly but I am pretty sure a standard Phillips could work in a pinch. I honestly believe the best long term solution is to have a dual wired troller to the bike where it is easy to get to when you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using my Warm n Safe jacket liner for 5 years, no problem... also have the heated gloves. Only one controller, but since I seldom turn the Heat-troller over half + a bit, no problem. Higher than that, it's way too hot, even in near freezing temps.

I keep the controller in my zipped up liner pocket, just plug in and out when I stop if I get off the bike. Forgot to unplug a couple of times, no harm. No need to turn on and off.

Actually traded my old liner for a newer one, they have a seconds and trade in section on their web site.

Also got the heated pants liner, but haven't used that yet.

A remote would be nice... if I could remember not to forget it somewhere.... the wires are attached and harder to lose... :rolleyes:

Fleece glove liners will keep your hands warmer, even when they are soaking wet.

mary

Ok... I read this thread but....... anybody got any pictures to go along with their story.

What are all theses wires or the lack of them that yous are talking about. :unsure:

I think these photos might tell the story better. I ran out to the garage and shot these and hope they help.

So.... The controller is a stand alone device. But you still have to plug in your heated gear via a wire which you have disconnect and connect when you get off and on.

Then I must be missing the advantage of having a wireless controller.

So.... The controller is a stand alone device. But you still have to plug in your heated gear via a wire which you have disconnect and connect when you get off and on.

Then I must be missing the advantage of having a wireless controller.
There really isn't that much of a difference. The controller you see Velcro'd to my handlebars is how I control the heat for my gloves and jacket. The other wired controller needs to go somewhere like a belt, in the jacket but makes it a little more difficult to get to when you are riding and want to adjust the heat. If you look at the photo with the small wireless transponder with the wires? That is the portion that gos in your jacket that wirelessly transits the signal. It's your call but I wanted one of each to test them out side by side when riding alone.

You are going to need to plug in with either setup. I have mine on the left side of my tank right near my inner thigh where it just takes a second. I think the main advantage is where the unit is located, and the secondary advantage is a lot less wires. The main advantage of the wired unit is that your battery cannot go dead during a ride.

The advantage of wireless is you normally put the receiver part in your jacket liner pocket and hook up to the liner's wires and leave only one wire out, which you plug into a power supply on the bike. The remote control can be located anywhere, without wires. It runs on a bluetooth connection and a 2032 battery.

With a wired controller, you do the same hookups but it is not self contained in the jacket liner. Your control head is dangling too, which you must either mount to the bike, tank bag or somewhere on your jacket where you can access it. You have extra wire to deal with. Some would consider that not an inconvenience, and I did that for years. I now have the wireless.

The alternate is to get a permanent panel mount type controller which is hardwired to the bike and you again plug your liner wires into it (two if dual controller). The controller knob is on the panel where you mounted it. If you're really handy, you can also buy some panel mount N-size coax receptacles so you have no dangling wires on the bike itself. Merely plug into those.

It's all a personal choice. Clear as mud?