Warming up the num num's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lollydude

Reaction score
Have any of yall tried removing the heat shield under the tank on a GenII bike for winter ridding in order to get more heat to the rider? I know this is sort of a dyslexic thought for trying to cause heat in a FJR, but I am in the western part of North Carolina in the Mountains, and I ride my bike everyday to see patients, and a 24 - 30 degrees it gets cold. Has anyone tried this?

If its that bad...you best be getting electric gear. There really isn't much, if any, heat coming to the rider during the winter except maybe at idle...when you need it least.

Wheaton is right with regards to both clothing and idle (sitting still).

I pulled mine last fall to try and do the same thing but found that with heavier clothing and being underway, it just doesn't do much. A larger windshield in up position will help to cut more air off of you and to also create a low pocket where some engine/exhaust heat will be pulled up.

After modifying my exhaust and having it ceramic coated inside and out, I’ve lost even more warmth for the winter months.

I actually considered the two bikes approach, I had an 05 FJR that was wonderful in the Smoky Mtns in the winter. Conversely, well you know.

Bought a used 06, which indeed is way cooler in the summer. but, alas the economy solved my delimma. Away the 05 went.

Electric clothing on the 06 will take me down to the point that the road condition becomes the tilting point. CCook82

What kind of pants are you wearing? I have TourMaster Calibers, with the liners in they are very toasty.