Warranty on the AE handle bar shifter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Dreamer

Reaction score
I was told by the salesperson that the warranty on '06 FJR AE I've been looking at does not cover the handle bar shifter mechanism. For instance he said if I were to drop the bike and broke it, it would not be covered. Why would he specifically mention this particular part as an exclusion? Just wondering .....

Um, if you break it in a drop, you own the problem. If it fails of its own accord and the warranty period has not expired, it's covered.

Hey, lookit! I was nice! :p

I was told by the salesperson that the warranty on '06 FJR AE I've been looking at does not cover the handle bar shifter mechanism. For instance he said if I were to drop the bike and broke it, it would not be covered. Why would he specifically mention this particular part as an exclusion? Just wondering .....
Sounds like you're asking 2 different questions.

Question 1 - Is the handlebar shifter covered under warranty? Answer - Don't know why it wouldn't be. It's not a wear item.

Question 2 - Is the handlebar shifter covered under warranty if I drop the bike and break it? Answer - Don't know why it would be. The warranty does not cover crash damage. If you drop the bike and crack the frame, it isn't covered under warranty. But, if no crash is involved and a crack in the frame is discovered, it would be covered under warranty.

Fill in the blank - If I drop the bike and break ______, is the damage covered under warranty? Answer is no.

The sales people usually don't know much about the AE clutch.... sounds like you met one who is ad-libbing.

And so far, the warranty on my AE has covered everything Yammie screwed up (steering head bearing, ECU). But they never offered to fix what broke when I dropped it. :dribble:

The sales people usually don't know much about the AE clutch.... sounds like you met one who is ad-libbing.
And so far, the warranty on my AE has covered everything Yammie screwed up (steering head bearing, ECU). But they never offered to fix what broke when I dropped it. :dribble:
Come on guys I know the warranty doesn't cover things I break. :) Thanks for all the replies....

OK I have had ONE Problem with my AE

Would not shift into 1st......... Found out my idle was a tad over the "Hey Dumbass" level.... dohhhhhhhhhh

Dealer fixed it in the parking lot and my 3 day trip started off like a dream.... 15 minutes late (did I say free) !!

If you'd care to read my AE warranty problem, you'll find that (in my case at least) Yamaha was all over an AE warrenty issue like a spider monkey!

Thanks for the info. Its nice to know they backup their product like that.
FJR Dreamer, not every warranty repair has this quick action situation. You must remember even though these bikes were redesigned in 2006 there are still parts Yamaha for some reason doesn't have on their shelves readily available in the good ole USA and still are shipped in from Japan. I know first hand of these problems because it took a local dealership (weeks) just to get their hands on the parts needed to repair my bike under warranty.

All in all I believe you will find the FJR AE (in my case) to be one of the if not the nicest Sport Touring bike on the market today. Although I was super pissed at having lost most of the riding season last summer due to this SNAFU on Yamaha's part, if I were given a choice today of any bike on the market to replace my AE, I would have to say I would go with the 08 AE. The YCCS on the FJR AE takes some getting used to, but once you master a few changes from the way you used to ride compaired to the way you now ride because of the adjustments made in both the riding and thinking department, the AE certainly grows on you.

I will say even it took quite a long time for Yamaha to get their act together on my bike, since the repairs have been made I haven't had another problem with it. As with anything made by man, it can, does and will break down at the most inopertune moment, but in the end it will get fixed.

Like Clutchless said.

I believe Yamaha jumped on my problem in particular because my dealer had signed off on doing some recall work that they didn't really do. I think Yamaha slapped their little hands and tried to make me happy.

My AE is a wonderful ride. I too would buy another.