Watch out for wildlife in CO.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
While riding near Idaho Springs yesterday I saw a bear on the road. In the past week of riding in the late evenings in Evergreen there have always been elk and deer. Sometimes the foxes walk in the road as if it's theirs.

Around Evergreen and in the mountains if you see someone coming in the opposite direction flashing their lights it can mean wildlife in the road, or a cop....take your pick.

At any time of day expect to see deer and/or elk on the side or in the road. The elk in Evergreen are known to take their sweet time crossing the road.

So be careful guys and gals when you are here. Airline prices have gone up lately.... B)

So don't try to pet an Elk with your front tire???? :p
I had an antlerless deer try to meet and greet me in the left lane on westbound I-40 last week while I was cruising at 80mph. Lucky there was minimal traffic, and modest evasive maneuvers were enough to thwart the planned suicide. It was close enough that .2 seconds less warning and we both could have been toast. It was almost close enough to reach out and touch the deer as he squeeked south and I squeeked north in the lane.

On the way back home that afternoon, there was a dead antlerless deer at the shoulder of the eastbound lane at the same place. Could have been the same one with a change of plan to try with a less evasive vehicle. Sigh....

I was travelling on I-40 eastbound in New Mexico last year when I saw a cow elk who was recent road kill and the backstraps had been harvested.

Deer are bad enough. I would sure hate to hit an elk or a moose.

Also, don't permit your FJR to mate with a mule deer or moose. It makes for an uncomfortable encounter.

Moose can be found in the areas approaching Rocky Mountain National Park, in North Park coming south from Wyoming.

Ron

Thanks for the warning Eagle.

I just checked my list... Moose & Elk are definitely NOT in the "squishable" column!

Thanks for the warning Eagle.
I just checked my list... Moose & Elk are definitely NOT in the "squishable" column!
I can tell you based on what I've seen: A Subaru Outback is less squishable than a moose. It was a BIG moose laying along the side of the road on the way to Rocky Mountain National Park.

You also don't want to argue with a moose face to face. It's face is much bigger, and compared to mine, prettier.

Ron