Water Proof Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best solution for water proof gloves for me are the "triple digit" over gloves offered by www.riderwearhouse.com. Here's a link to the item.

https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerost...er-p-16447.html

These are gortex shells that go over you favorite gloves. They pack easily in a jacket pocket; slip on quickly; keep your gloves drier than any other "waterproof" glove I've tried, though eventually some wetness can get through.

Cons: They are more slippery on the clutch lever so it takes a bit more finger control when riding with them on.

Overall, I hightly recommend them.

Steve

BTW, I like your icon with Penn saying STFU. Penn and Teller are a riot.

I have the Olympia WindTex gloves. They work. Actually I also have the Harley Davidson winter water proof gloves and they work. The trick is... and this was almost impossible with my old jacket... is to ensure water can't get into the cuff/gauntlet and wick its way thru' the glove. My new jacket (Highly recommend the Teknic Spyder!!) has an inner and outer sleeve set up that allows you to layer the glove's gauntlet between them, thereby making it damned difficult for water to get into the glove OR into the jacket. +1

These are not MC gloves, but I used these going through a snow storm across Montana last year and will swear by them. I used a polypro liner and one small "hot hand" in each one and hands were not a problem. The ice building up on my legs from my knees down was different. Anyway, figured I'd recommend them, but as FNG, YMMV. They are waterproof without a doubt!

https://www.glacierglove.com/pages/iceclimb.htm

Holding your paddle is pretty close to holding the throttle :)

Jim

Edit; Here is the page with all their selections. I have one pair each of the 802BK & 002HBL models. Both great. Use them for clam digging too.

https://www.glacierglove.com/pages/neoprenegloves.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do don't get the Olympia Monsoon gloves. They must have been named that because it felt like I had a monsoon inside the gloves. I had trouble peeling them off because the liner got soaked and stuck to my hands. I tried First Gear rubber over-gloves, which are just heavy duty black rubber gloves with textured surfaces to enhance grip. I wear them over my Lee Parks gloves (which are the best gloves I'ved ever tried) and they work great. I thought they would be hot and sweaty because the rubber wouldn't breathe (like when you wear latex gloves) but it didn't work out that way. Plus they were relatively inexpensive. That and Frog Toggs and I'm as happy as one can be riding in the rain.

I recently bought a pair of Joe Rocket gloves at the local Yami dealer expecting to never use them and also expecting to regret buying them. Happy to report neither was the case.

The next day I went on a 350 mile, in the rain, 40 mph wind, 45 F temp, finally wound up in fog then onto a 1-hour bike walk on the superslab in the dark while it was pouring down rain traffic jam. Get the picture?

The Joe Rocket gloves were reasonably warm, never leaked inside the glove and aren't so damn bulky that you can't feel your MP3 buttons. Can't say for sure what "model" JR glove they are. But they have the DryTech label and a Hipora insert.

$49.95 at the local dealer.

Have had two more occassions to use them in (what I consider) cold rain. Still waterproof, comfortable and reasonably warm.

I know you asked about gloves but I highly recommend Belstaff waxed cotton mittens. They are flannel lined so not only do they keep your hands dry but also warm. I use them in cold weather also as they are thin enough to allow heated grips to come thru to your hand unlike insulated gloves.They fold up to almost nothing so are easy to carry in a jacket pocket.

Getting used to mittens takes a little while and you have to be a little more careful with the clutch / brake lever but I have not had a problem.

mac

I've got a pair of Racer Touring gloves (the ones on the left in the first picture) that worked really well in some torrential downpours a month or so ago on a trip to Birmingham.... kept my hands nice and dry (and warm too).

The best solution for water proof gloves for me are the "triple digit" over gloves offered by www.riderwearhouse.com. Here's a link to the item.
https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerost...er-p-16447.html

These are gortex shells that go over you favorite gloves. They pack easily in a jacket pocket; slip on quickly; keep your gloves drier than any other "waterproof" glove I've tried, though eventually some wetness can get through.

Cons: They are more slippery on the clutch lever so it takes a bit more finger control when riding with them on.

Overall, I hightly recommend them.

Steve
I second these overgloves. I have a pair & I've worn them in some heavy/long term rain situations and never had them leak. I highly recommend them. Oh, and about the slippery clutch... I never seemed to have that issue, but if you do, there is a suggestion over on the website that suggests using some sort of "something" applied to the palms & fingers to reduce any slippage. I don't remeber what the "something" is, though.

The only thing that I've found as an irritation with them is the taped seams inside the overgloves. They seem to offer some discomfort... but as they have been breaking in, I'm finding this less and less of a problem.

GX20WP.jpg

Tourmaster GX WP Glove (WP = waterproof) around $27

I guess the waterproofing is that the gloves are not damaged by water. I figured that these brand new (never been used) gloves would waterproof my hands from the elements. Boy, was I wrong. Last week, was on the road in a full downpour going through Atlanta. Those gloves were soaked and my hands cold and wet. I ended up with a pair of nylon gloves underneath that worked fairly well. Before the nylon gloves went on, I pulled the soaked inside liner out and then tryed to get the liner back in the fingers. What a hastle. :angry:

So, am I recommending them? ... NOT!

Should probably do a report on the nice looking, highly visible Tourmaster Elite II full-length rain suit figuring it will waterproof from the elements ...guess.

I've got a pair of Racer Touring gloves (the ones on the left in the first picture) that worked really well in some torrential downpours a month or so ago on a trip to Birmingham.... kept my hands nice and dry (and warm too).
I really like the Racer Touring gloves (I'd read Groo's comments in the forum thread a few months back), and have had them since father's day (thanks, honey!). I actually haven't had a chance to ride with them in the rain yet (California weather), but when the temperature drops into the upper 30's (dry cold) they aren't quite warm enough for me. They lack the thermal insulation of a true winter glove...

...but when the temperature drops into the upper 30's (dry cold) they aren't quite warm enough for me. They lack the thermal insulation of a true winter glove...
Agree 100%... they're good down to the mid 40's... then it's time for something electrically enhanced.