Waterproof Box for MyFi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
I wanted to mount my XM radio to my bike and found out that the waterproof boxes RAM has were just too small for my MYFi radio. Seems that the larger box they sell will hold the unit, but will not allow use of an external antenna. So, I decided to make my own.

I built a box out of stainless steel and made the lid a bit bigger to allow for the rubber edging I was going to use around the top edge of the box. The inner frame is just a flat piece of metal with a cutout window to match the lid.

I used some of that heavy clear plastic (that comfortors and blankets come in) to stretch over the frame. I then glued it down with crazy glue. The frame fits inside the lid and a thin layer of silicone was used to seal it in , forming a "window".

The lid is held down by some small threaded knobs I got a Lowes, tapping some holes in the box with holes through the lid they fit through.

I then cut some foam to fit in the box and hold the MYfi in place, with the front of the unit just touching the window. You can press the buttons on the radio through the clear plastic, as it is fairly soft.

Photos and drawings can be seen here:

https://tinyurl.com/a3h6p

I imagine the same principle can be used to make a simular box out of many diffrent materials or pre made containers. I used a standard RAM base , a 1-1/2 inch stem and a handlebar mount to attach the whole thing to the bike.

I still have to run the wires to the box, but it seems fairly sturdy.

Knifemaker