Waterproof Tank Bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I don't like stopping with the rain starts falling. I've done pretty good with gear, but I'm looking to upgrade my tank bag to something that I don't have to stop to put on a rain cover. I've seen one from SW-Motech and one from Ortlieb. Does anyone have any experience with these or maybe a better suggestion?

Like jackets, gloves, and other things short of a DUI dry suit....there's no such thing as "water proof". Just levels of "water resistant" and why most still have a rain fly including the customtankbags.com I have that even uses sealed zippers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy, Do you stop to put on a rain fly?
Haven't had to yet including a frog strangler or two with my particular tank bag. I did put the iPhone inside a Ziploc. However, if I had to....the answer would be no and yes to the two parts of your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the "There's no such thing as waterproof. I stopped using tank bags long ago but, when I did, I looked at the weather forecast. If there was a decent chance of rain, I'd break out the rain cover and not worry when it did rain. And, in Florida it rains a Lot! :)

Iggy, Do you stop to put on a rain fly?
Haven't had to yet including a frog strangler or two with my particular tank bag. I did put the iPhone inside a Ziploc. However, if I had to....the answer would be no and yes to the two parts of your question.
Matt, is a "frog strangler" anything like a "toad floater"? That's the kind of rain we get here in Flatlandistan. :D

I use plastic food containers inside the tank bag. Keep the lids underneath the containers.

They serve to keep everything organised, and when it rains simply put the lids on.

Sorted!

I just love tank bag covers. Everyone I have had blows up like a basket ball once I start down the road. I have never had one come off though.

I have a Giant Loop Fandango pro on the KTM, which has a nifty map pocket/cover, a pass through to use with Ipod and such, and zip-off connector. It comes with seam sealer too, which is needed to block water from the zipper seams.

Works good, if you seam seal it.

Yeah, I think you would need to tap threads in the holes you put into the Pelican, then use RTV or some kind of goop on the threads, but that would work. The Pellican 1120 or 1150 look like nice sizes.