Waterproofing Charger Cable Ends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
My Zumo 220 charger has a plug cap that keeps the male end of the charger dry when I have the GPS off the bike. I'm rigging up my other bike for trips now and I have the another charger for the Zumo on it. But it doesn't have the cap. I can't find anywhere to get another one. I'm probably going to wire up my iphone 5, too, so I'll need a way to keep the male end of that charger dry also.

I've seen some people rig up a little container for ends, but I wondered what you guys do / have seen work well. The plastic baggie might win out, but I'm hoping for something better.

I am using flexible rubber caps - the kind you find at a hardware store and is used to cover the ends of wire shelves or bolts.

I stopped by Lowes today and didn't find quite what I was looking for yet. Do you have a pic of what you're using when you use the shelf / bolt caps? I've got a rubber shelf end that's white and looks a little dumb right now, but it's ok and is staying on there. I don't think it'll keep it from getting wet in a gusher while I'm at work. I'm thinking a 3/4 inch plastic tubing with a cap and some tape might work.

I won't be needing anything on the iPhone plug anymore cause that was mostly for the Goldwing and I used a dremel to make a notch in the lip on the glovebox. It lays right there when I need it and is still waterproof when I don't. It's not going to be good to run the iPhone in the rain anyway so I'll drop it in the box when it rains. If I ever need it plugged into the AC on the FJR while mounted, the glovebox doesn't crimp the cable much.

The GPS plug is a mini type B. It came with one of these and I wish I could find another:

Plug1.jpg

I stopped by Lowes today and didn't find quite what I was looking for yet. Do you have a pic of what you're using when you use the shelf / bolt caps? I've got a rubber shelf end that's white and looks a little dumb right now, but it's ok and is staying on there. I don't think it'll keep it from getting wet in a gusher while I'm at work. I'm thinking a 3/4 inch plastic tubing with a cap and some tape might work.
I won't be needing anything on the iPhone plug anymore cause that was mostly for the Goldwing and I used a dremel to make a notch in the lip on the glovebox. It lays right there when I need it and is still waterproof when I don't. It's not going to be good to run the iPhone in the rain anyway so I'll drop it in the box when it rains. If I ever need it plugged into the AC on the FJR while mounted, the glovebox doesn't crimp the cable much.

The GPS plug is a mini type B. It came with one of these and I wish I could find another:

Plug1.jpg
They look like the red one but I've only found yellow ones that fit over smaller plugs and gray ones that fit over larger connectors.

roundcaps-10mmto25mm_lg.jpg

Man, that is some good stuff, thanks! I've been using tiny zip lock baggies. It works but, yours is waaay better. I'm gearing up for a two week trip toward EOM. I'm heading to St. Louis to visit childhood friend the weekend before EOM then take a smell the roses run to the Rally. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rained on. It can't get here soon enough. :D

Sounds awesome. I'm going to do EOM one of these years. I think it would be a blast. And I'm from Southern IL originally, so you'll probably head through my stomping grounds on the way to St. Louis. If you need any advice on roads in the Western KY or Southern IL, area, feel free to PM me. But there's nothing that will compare to Maggie Valley, so you'll probably just be slabbing it to save time for better roads to come.

Have fun!

- Paul