Wearing it out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Bought in ~June 2006, worn darn near every day since, perhaps 10 days max not on my noggin at least once daily. Normal day = 3x off and on.

Whats the consensus? Buy new? See if Arai will repair? Seems like it should last, even with 'use'...

It's not been dropped or abused, subjected to chemicals to toxic LA smog. LOL.

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

I agree, that wire should not be hanging out like that. You should make Arai fix it.

Serously though, I figure you got your use out of it. What is Arai's warranty? If they have a long warranty for normal use, you might fall under that.

I have the same helmet.

You know... those grungy pads can be removed and washed!

And the liner can be tucked and glued in place.

But, if you're looking to stimulate the economy, that's an option too.

From the thread title I thought this was going to be about something entirely different... :unsure:

if the helmet is still in production you can probably buy all the lining except the straps. i purchased a shoei cheap and replaced all the guts to change the size.

I've seen the exact same thing on a friend's Arai....he was using too much Jheri Curl too.
It's ok Radio, you outting your boyfriend, but I didn't know you liked curly haired fellahs? Glad mine ain't curly.

You know... those grungy pads can be removed and washed!And the liner can be tucked and glued in place.
LOL, dude, those pix taken when the helmet is clean!

And I don't think the liner can be glued. Maybe I'll use some CarverTape.

Geez, if your helmet looks that bad, ..............I'd hate to see your head.
OM? :****: :rofl: :****: Now that's good...!

I'd take it to an Arai shop and ask. I'm sure they get this all the time.

But about the pink hair coloring and sparkles in there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey D ~

It's nice to see someone get their money's worth from a good product! :p

Have you contacted the company to see if they might have replacement liner pieces available for a somewhat reasonable price?

The one thing that concerns me is the obvious wear of the chinstrap where it has been run through the D ring buckle for so many years. I know in the traffic safety industry, we would consider a seatbelt with similar wear patterns to be severly compromised in strength. Wouldn't want tha puppy to be letting go the one time you severely tested it! Where it is rivited to the shell, it would be a bitch to replace the straps...

If it were my melon involved, I think I'd be looking for a replacement.

Don

check out the "Manufactured" date on the helmet.....Arai has a 5 year warranty (or seven years from "date of manufacture". If this is a 2006 helmet, you're well within warranty and they should take care of it....On t'other hand, if the date of manufacture is before '03 its all yours. If it was mine AND still under the warranty timeline, I'd be speaking with Arai. They build a good product (though pricey) and in my experience stand behind it. I suspect if your time is ok, they will make it right... :rolleyes:

Bought in ~June 2006, worn darn near every day since, perhaps 10 days max not on my noggin at least once daily. Normal day = 3x off and on. Whats the consensus? Buy new? See if Arai will repair? Seems like it should last, even with 'use'...

It's not been dropped or abused, subjected to chemicals to toxic LA smog. LOL.

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00383.jpg
Don,

PM me as I have a contact at Arai here in the USA. This could be fixed quite easily IMHO.

Taff.