Welder/welding question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was told the only good way to weld alum. was with a gas unit.

and the guys weld tankers up all the time from dow so they should know.

I don't know that by aluminized piping that it is aluminim... It feels much heavier than aluminum...

I would need a welder to perform small jobs such as welding exhaust components together maybe once to twice a year.. Do you think these units would be good for these small jobs?

I would never try to buld my own frame with it or anything.

James

Hi - aluminized pipe is steel pipe plated with a thin layer of aluminum. To get the best results welding it, you should grind it off to get to bare steel. Now, can you weld it with the two boxes shown - probably, especially if you clean it. I have a small mig unit - a Lincoln SP125+ that is hooked up to a tank of Ar-CO2 mix. I run solid wire with it and it will leave very nice welds on thin metal. I would not recommend a machine that does not have infinitely variable heat control, like the cheaper unit. Now, my recommendation - if you plan to do a lot with your mig welder, buy a good USA machine, like a Lincoln or a Miller and get the gas option. The initial cost is a bit higher, but I think you will be thankful down the road. You can find good used ones on EBay or locally, like I did. Also, you do not need a 220V unit - my 125+ will put out a lot of heat on 110V just fine, and the portability really comes in handy. There is a lot of good info out on the web too - do some more research especially if you want to go cheap...

I hope that helps...

Ok.. So I should look for a 110V welder with variable heat control right?

As mentioned above, I don't plan on doing alot with it... I really only want it to weld on mufflers, make exhausts, Ic pipes, and maybe some sheet metal projects.

Do I need the gas? what does the gas do that the welder can't do without it?

James

The inert gas used in the MIG process acts to keep oxygen out of the molten material in the weld puddle, so that the properties of the metal are not altered by the intorduction of additional oxygen during the weld process. If you don't use the gas, then I believe a flux cored wire would be required. If you MIG weld with plain wire and no gas you will change the material properties, which would likely lead to premature failure of the weld.

Ok.. So I should look for a 110V welder with variable heat control right?
As mentioned above, I don't plan on doing alot with it... I really only want it to weld on mufflers, make exhausts, Ic pipes, and maybe some sheet metal projects.

Do I need the gas? what does the gas do that the welder can't do without it?

James
https://www.millerwelds.com/education/articles/story18.html

A good explanation of different types of welding and therir advantages/cons

you can't weld aluminum without special setup.

you have to add about $1000 to your basic Miller Mig setup for a spool gun.

You can do mild steel (even stainless) without a problem after little practice.

CO2 or argon gas setup is more expensive but I think has a less steep learning curve.

aluminum, unless you're really committed to do it a lot, better off taking it to a professional, otherwise not cost effective.