West Virginia - July

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
It looks like I might have a 3 day window July 2-4 to play around West Virginia. Any suggestions on routes. I don't mind putting in a bunch of miles in for those three days. Any key must sees would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR

Are you asking for good roads or sight seeing? Have you ridden in WV before?

My favorite road is 219 north to south starting from where it intersects with 50 in the northeast part of WV.

You may think about side tripping into Virginia, also. Some awesome roads in the western part of VA

& speaking more about WV... personally, I like the southern half of WV better than the northern part. But in the northern part you may hit up Smokehole Rd. Take it from the North (From Rte 28)to the south (to Rte 220). IMO it's a better road that way... & the road flows better. The other direction, it's easy to miss the road that leads onto the upper half of the road.

I have no set plans, just looking for good roads with a few sights along the way. I've never done any riding in WV and very little in Virginia. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

Canadian FJR

WV & VA have some great roads. Like it was said before, the southern part of the state is better then the northern. Some of my favorites are: 220, 219, 33, 28, 39. As long as you stay along the Monongahela National Forest your in good shape. Seneca Rocks is an interesting site to see. Summerville & Lewisburg are good towns to stay in. I have never been pleased staying in Elkins. Good loaction, bad hotels.

It looks like I might have a 3 day window July 2-4 to play around West Virginia. Any suggestions on routes. I don't mind putting in a bunch of miles in for those three days. Any key must sees would be appreciated.
Heads up. WV/VA kick ass.

Bad news, with all the gas exploration going on in that area expect accommodations to be hard to find. Book ahead.

Make time for VA! Here's a vid of Moosehead and me riding the piss out of Rte 16 (unedited.)

herm.. can't embed or even link properly..

I usually ride in West Viriginia once a year.... I try not to ride the same road twice.... well maybe a couple of times. Still hadn't rode them all. Three days? you got to be kiddin... right? eh?

Last time I took 10 from Huntington OH down to Pineville and then 16 to Tazwell... that was good! And yes I have rode 16 from Tazwell to Marion. It's worth riding if you haven't but then it is a little farther south.

But then if you are in that part of the country you might think about watching the start of the Iron Butt <wink,wink>

Smokehole Road is definitely a must do.

If you decide to venture into VA, a couple of my favorites in that part of the world... in no special order... Rte 250... the piece of 250 in VA is my favorite but it's a good road all the way into WV. Look up the piece between West Augusta, VA & Monterey, VA... but like I said, it's good all the way into WV. Also high on my list in VA is Rte 56. The piece from Roseland, VA to Vesuvius, VA is awesome! Rte 60 has a good piece of road running up & over the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you decide you'd like to try Rte 250 into WV, here's a hint... take 250 into Durbin & make a left onto Back Mountain Rd. BMR isn't a beat feet kinda road. It's kinda pig trailish a little but not really in a bad way... views are awesome! Also, BMR will dump you out in Cass, WV which houses Cass Scenic Railroad. Cass Railroad is something you may be interested in seeing.

From there I'd go 66 out to 219... or catch the other end of BMR off of 66 which will dump you out near Marlinton, WV/Rte 219. A good place to stay... Old Clark Inn. Old Clark is in Marlinton.

There are plenty of play areas on 219. Look @ Google Maps. It's also a direct shot to Lewisburg if you're interested in going that far south.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many good roads in WV that your question might be better answered if you specify where you are going. Being that it is 4th of July week, I would stay away from the heavily populated areas. The following week an annual event called Pioneer Days is happening in Marlinton which is the Pocohontas county seat. Ride the area roads all day and then come back for the party.

Here is the link to info: https://www.pocahontascountywv.com/events/476/2013/july/the-46th-annual-pioneer-days.aspx

The area around Webster Springs has some good riding...routes 15 and 20.60 in the Hawk's Nest SP area has some nice scenery and riding,but it might be congested on the July 4th weekend.If you go to Hawk's Nest be sure to go down to the old mill...beautiful setting for a rustic mill.

"But then if you are in that part of the country you might think about watching the start of the Iron Butt <wink,wink> "

That's why I have the three day window. I want to see the start and then be back up there for the 5th 4th. I'll boogie home after that that.

Canadian FJR

"But then if you are in that part of the country you might think about watching the start of the Iron Butt <wink,wink> "
That's why I have the three day window. I want to see the start and then be back up there for the 5th. I'll boogie home after that that.

Canadian FJR
I'm going to miss the start but I want to be there when they come back.

& speaking more about WV... personally, I like the southern half of WV better than the northern part. But in the northern part you may hit up Smokehole Rd. Take it from the North (From Rte 28)to the south (to Rte 220). IMO it's a better road that way... & the road flows better. The other direction, it's easy to miss the road that leads onto the upper half of the road.
Smokehole Road is definitely a must do.
If you decide to venture into VA, a couple of my favorites in that part of the world... in no special order... Rte 250... the piece of 250 in VA is my favorite but it's a good road all the way into WV. Look up the piece between West Augusta, VA & Monterey, VA... but like I said, it's good all the way into WV. Also high on my list in VA is Rte 56. The piece from Roseland, VA to Vesuvius, VA is awesome! Rte 60 has a good piece of road running up & over the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you decide you'd like to try Rte 250 into WV, here's a hint... take 250 into Durbin & make a left onto Back Mountain Rd. BMR isn't a beat feet kinda road. It's kinda pig trailish a little but not really in a bad way... views are awesome! Also, BMR will dump you out in Cass, WV which houses Cass Scenic Railroad. Cass Railroad is something you may be interested in seeing.

From there I'd go 66 out to 219... or catch the other end of BMR off of 66 which will dump you out near Marlinton, WV/Rte 219. A good place to stay... Old Clark Inn. Old Clark is in Marlinton.

There are plenty of play areas on 219. Look @ Google Maps. It's also a direct shot to Lewisburg if you're interested in going that far south.
If you end up near Cass, also check out the Greenbank telescope. I think it is pretty cool. If your camping there are a couple real nice spots on a big creek at the Island Camp ground. Laurel Fork North of Durbin is a real nice campground too. Glady Run Road is one of my favorites. It goes from Glady to Alpina on 33. It is paved but most roads around Laurel Fork and Glady are not.

If you have 3 days here's what you do. Ride every possible road you can. Stay off the slab and pretty much every road is awesome. Easy peasy.

Rob

Look at WV-311 from I-64 (east of Lewisburg) through Paint Bank down to New Castle. Very nice stretch of road - I can not remember the name of that mountain, but it's one heck of a view and ride.

A couple of us hit that early one year and rounded a corner into snow covered road. That was a hair couple of miles... No snow in July, just great road.

Look at WV-311 from I-64 (east of Lewisburg) through Paint Bank down to New Castle. Very nice stretch of road - I can not remember the name of that mountain, but it's one heck of a view and ride.
A couple of us hit that early one year and rounded a corner into snow covered road. That was a hair couple of miles... No snow in July, just great road.
Yes, been on it several times. I usually stop in Paint Bank at the Swinging Bridge restaurant for a buffalo burger.